PDA

View Full Version : So... How would one uninstall Audacity...

Katastrophe
July 17th, 2010, 09:47 PM
if one were so inclined?

The program won't show up in my list of programs in my control panel, and doesn't show up on a secondary program that I have, either.

I never use it, and don't have the capability to plug in and record. I'm doing a little computer housekeeping, and would like it gone.

Any ideas, fellow Fretter computer gurus?

markb
July 17th, 2010, 11:44 PM
You could try this. It looks plausible but I've no way of knowing if it works. The manual method is technically sound.

http://www.finaluninstaller.com/blog/ut/how-to-uninstall-audacity.html#txt2

Zip
July 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
If you already have ccleaner installed (and of course you should), go to Tools and in the 'Uninstaller' list find Audacity and etc. from there. Once finished uninstalling, use the 'Run Cleaner' function to get rid of orphaned files. If you're anal like me, fire up regedit and do a search for 'Audacity' and get rid of anything that shows up in the registry. No need to reboot.

omegadot
July 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
CCleaner works, but you can also it it manually. I'm not sure how often you fire up regedit, so CCleaner might be the best bet. I've used it before or after the fact. You can delete the files, then the registry cleaner usually catches that the entries call a non-existent directory structure. My job has me mucking around in reg file a good portion of the time so I am simply partial to the manual methods.

EDIT: Didn't end my post right. I would uninstall it, then run the cleaner if you are paranoid about little orphaned entries.

Katastrophe
July 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks, all!

I tried to use ccleaner, but it didn't show up on the uninstall list there, either.

Did a search to find the unistall file that came with the program. It was in a hidden file, and did not work when I tried it.

Finally just deleted the thing manually. Apparently, from my brief research, this is a fairly common problem with Audacity.

The good thing is that my 6 year old computer is running now about as fast as it ever has, after all the cleaning up. A defrag cleared out a ton of space on the hard drive.