PDA

View Full Version : Is this ready to release?

deeaa
July 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Back to this song I posted a while back in beta form...got an OK from the drummer so here's the last file we made...now it's complete and after a gazillion drum etc. changes, small tweaks here & there I believe I can't make it better no more; must go on to other songs. I can however apply some master EQ etc. easily.

What say you, is there something badly wrong or is it ok to release now? My gut feeling is it may be a bit murky, maybe needs some EQ to brighten up the midranges. In the verses the bass is a bit dark?

http://deeaa.pp.fi/lzm/CanWait/shakeit_18_7.mp3

Battling w/my pc just now btw...seems the display card was loose and I had to rebuild the thing basically...some plugins went haywire so I really hope this works as is now, I have zero inclination to do any remixing on it as I'd need to sort some missing plugins and their settings as well....

(sorry about the long intro...left too much empty in the start).

LeadedEL84
July 18th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Sounds great, Dee. Nice work. I listened to it with my standard setup with powered computer speakers. They are definately not reference quality but the mix sounded great on them. I was very impressed so I got out my Koss headphones which are basically low end studio quality. They have a wide freq response and are very revealing. Everything sounded pretty balanced and crisp. Sounded like a pro mix to me. As a final test I played it again using just the built in laptop speakers for that wonderful tinny transister radio sound. Half way through I hit mono mode. Of course it lacked bottom end but nothing fell out of the mix. Well done.
I thought the song was well done too. Great vocals. Nice guitar work. I liked the arrangement. You guys have an interesting sound. I like it. :thumbsup Hope to hear more some time.

Rockermann
July 18th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Great mix, Dee... I really loved the wide stereo separation on the guitar(s). That really stood out in the mix to me. It sounded as though they were right in the room with me. Care to share your technique there?

deeaa
July 18th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys! Um, there's nothing very special about the guitar sounds...active guitar D/I to soundcard and the sounds are from Amplitube 3 after the fact...AC30 model, divided to two tracks with slightly different amp models.

The lead guitar sound is the same idea, but some different amp settings...I forget what exactly, I did a downmix at some point. The guitars are on, um, seven tracks, some parts on different tracks with different amp models for chorus etc. or some riff part here and there.

Also added a little flanger to lead guitar rhythm.

syo
July 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Way to go.
You did it again I know.
Or so you said... :D

Very nice Dee. I like where everything sits in the mix. Vocals are particularly nice. Well done! :applause

FrankenFretter
July 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Sounds good!

deeaa
July 18th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Update:got the pc sorted and we're gonna replace drums once more with less ambience, they are too effected sounding now. Just a little tighter and less boomy mix for them...then its done.

deeaa
July 18th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Okay, drums replaced...MUCH better IMO. Now it's done!

http://deeaa.pp.fi/lzm/CanWait/ShakeIt_FINAL_alpha_19_7_2010.mp3

Eric
July 19th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Nice. I don't think it sounds murky or anything -- definitely a big sound, but not necessarily muddy. The intro still kind of jumps at you when the bass comes in, but it works pretty well.

The updated drums (from the demo you posted a long time ago) help immensely. I've had this song in my head a number of times since I first heard it, so I guess that says something... Nice job.

helliott
July 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
This is really good. I wouldn't mind a bit of midrange brightening, but that's a subjective thing. Really good tune and recording.

jpfeifer
July 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hi Dee,

The track sounds great. I'm listening through a set of cheap headphones and the mix still holds up well (a good test). I really like the energy of the song. I like the tremolo sound on the bass, and the various guitar parts.

The lead guitar break is very nice.

The singing is also great. I remember that from the first time I heard the track before.

Great job!

--Jim