PDA

View Full Version : Big Bends "Nut Sauce"

Plank_Spanker
October 15th, 2006, 08:15 AM
You've seen it in guitar magazine ads, raised a brow and dubiously whispered "yeah, right!". I did myself until curiosity overtook me and I ordered a kit.

The stuff works great! :)

I use it primarily on my Strats to keep the nut slots lubed. No more pencil lead for me. The applicator is pin-point precise and it doesn't make a mess, harm the finish, or smell evil. I apply it every time I change strings. The syringe applicator I bought almost a year ago is still over half full and I change strings frequently.

So, fear not. It's not a snake oil gimmick.

http://www.guitaristonly.com/

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM
That's funny. I just ordered some myself. It should be in tomorrow.

Riley
October 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Yup just got some a few weeks back, tried it out on my JV Strat, I put it on the nut slots, saddles where the strings make contact and the string T on the headstock.........man when I use the trem, it's stays IN TUNE! I'll use it on all my guitars nut slots most likely for tuning stability.

-Peace
-Nate

Spudman
October 17th, 2006, 02:30 PM
So what is in it? Is it a liquid? How long will an application last?

Plank_Spanker
October 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM
So what is in it? Is it a liquid? How long will an application last?

It has about the same viscosity of light grease, and I have no idea what's in it. I've been using it for about a year and it hasn't eaten any of the parts on my guitars. I apply it every time I change strings. The 1.5 cc applicator I have of it is still almost half full, and I change strings often with a bunch of guitars. A little dab'll do ya.........

The applicator is super precise, and the basic kit comes with an even smaller toothpick looking applicator for those tight spaces. It's definitely helped in the tuning stability department.

Jimi75
November 8th, 2006, 02:48 AM
I have received mine yesterday. Changed strings on my Les Paul and used Nut Sauce as described.

After 15 minutes of intense playing my guitar was still in tune.

Seems to work great so far.

marnold
November 8th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Just a thought . . . wouldn't some electric shaver lubricating oil do the same thing?

Plank_Spanker
November 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Just a thought . . . wouldn't some electric shaver lubricating oil do the same thing?

If it's petroleum based, I wouldn't use it on a nut. I think the Nut Sauce is either teflon or graphite based.

Jimi75
November 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM
It is graphite based.

fendermojoman
February 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I've been using it for over a year on all my guitars. It works very well but it is expensive:eek: . Don't know that I would purchase it again when a tube of chapstick is 1/10 the price, but it does have a very useful applicator!:)

Spudman
February 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I used to use a tube of powdered graphite. I think they cost about $1. I haven't tried it in a while. Maybe it would work the same?

Spudman
April 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Just noticed a seller on ebay has 3 tubes left for only $12.99 and FREE SHIPPING. Usually it's $19.95.

Fab4
April 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
I read an interview with a pro in Guitar Player who swears by the stuff - says it's like having a locking nut. I'd like to try some.

As for alternatives, I've used Lock Ease, which is a liquid graphite used for freeing up sticky padlocks and stuff. The liquid evaporates and it leaves a film of graphite behind. It works pretty well but it stains light colored nuts black in the slots (that's the graphite at work).

Petroleum based products like shaver lubricant not only might decay your nut (hey, get your mind out of the gutter), it will also make your strings go dead. Hipshot used to recommend petroleum jelly to lubricate their b/g-bender systems and the bridge slots. I tried it, but I noticed that my strings went dead almost immediately.

Later (and weirder), I had a period where my strings were going dead way too fast and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized the stuff I was putting in my hair before gigs (Crew Texture Cream, if ya gotta know) had petrolatum in it. Even though I only used a tiny amount, you had to spread it on your palms and then smooth it through your hair.

At the risk of sounding like a Breck commercial and getting snickers from the peanut gallery, it provided a little bit of body and hold without looking like you had a bunch of crap in your hair...but even after I washed my hands, enough of it remained on my palms to make brand new strings go dead within one set.

So (sorry, longer story and more of a digression from the thread topic than I intended), if your strings go dead fast, it may be something petroleum related in your environment - grease from working on your car, hair products or some other contaminant. Weird, but after I figured that out I stopped killing strings so fast. Thought it might help...

Robert
April 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I use the Nut Sauce, works great! :) Perfect for the nut, improves tuning stability a lot.

Spudman
April 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
I've been dealing with sticky nuts for years. I'm excited to try it. I ordered some.

marnold
April 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I've been dealing with sticky nuts for years. I'm excited to try it. I ordered some.
*covers ears* LALALALALALALALALA!

wingsdad
April 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I've used this GHS graphite-based white liquid product on all my guitars' nuts &/or bridge saddles. The bottle is actually only about 1 1/2" tall. $3.99.

I get it at my Local GAS Station. I think I've only needed 3 or 4 bottles in 10 years.

The link to MF is simply for reference.

GHS GraphitAll (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/GHS-GraphitAll-Guitar-Lubricant?sku=423700)