PDA

View Full Version : Epi Dot Deluxe Sound test

progrmr
July 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM
So this is my first ever recording of my playing that's been out in public - take it easy on me! :)

Played through a Fender Blues Jr., recorded using the Tascam DR-08 which does an OK job.

Let me know what you think

http://www.daverancour.com/epidotSounds.mp3

piebaldpython
July 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
The DOT sounds really good. I wasn't expecting such a difference between the neck and bridge pups. Sounds like a real good bluesy type git.

FrankenFretter
July 18th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Nice playing! Like Piebald said, huge difference in the pickups. That bridge pickup sounds much hotter than the neck. The neck has a nice open, airy sound to it. It's also very clear, not at all muddy. What kind of pickups are in that Dot?

progrmr
July 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Holy crap - I wasn't sure about the pickups so I checked guitar center's site.

According them, they're '57 classics!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-DOT-Deluxe-Flametop-Semi-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-101834539-i1166291.gc

* Body: maple
* Neck: set, maple
* Fretboard: rosewood
* Frets: 22 medium
* Pickups: 2 '57 Classic Alnico humbuckers
* Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way pickup switch
* Hardware: gold
* Scale: 24.75"
* Nut: 1.68"
* Inlay: dot
* LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar taipiece
* Tuners: Grover

Guess I don't have to buy those..no wonder it sounds so good.

Personally I prefer the mid position - nice balance in the tone.

markb
July 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Beware the '57 Classic confusion. There is a Gibson version and an Epiphone version. One is labelled '57 Classic and the other Classic '57 but I can't remember which is which right now. The Epiphone units are not bad sounding pickups at all.

progrmr
July 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Yea, but I bet the Gibby '57 classics sound freakin' stellar. I'm fine for now with these but I'm sure I'll be upgrading before too long.

FrankenFretter
July 18th, 2010, 08:27 PM
My Epi Tribute LP has the Gibby 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus pickups. I love them. They are my favorite pickups by far.