PDA

View Full Version : The Allman Brothers: Live Fillmore East

Nickolas Cook
July 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
This has been one of my top ten albums since I first heard it about fifteen years ago. Duane Allman was a god. His slide work on this album is nothing short of genius!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kMkWq1e4b7s/SYeHnqZvvtI/AAAAAAAABDc/rIiQsjFfHX8/s400/front_cover_small.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WNHfl5aYlJ8/SbZyZOpTxrI/AAAAAAAAEDo/XeGjR97eKqk/s400/ABB+Filmore+1971.jpg

Any of you guys ever hear this one?

msteeln
July 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
A timeless classic.
Much more can be heard on www.wolfgangsvault.com

Trivia time, per the cover pic.
Duane supposedly has something hidden in his clasped hands, anyone know what it is?
Tip - it ain't legal!
Other photos show the previously dour-faced band laughing, once he showed them what he'd picked up.
Here's some answers - http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/blog/index.php/2009/09/jim-marshall/

R_of_G
July 19th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Had it on vinyl.
Had it on cassette.
Still have it on CD.
Wish I had still had the vinyl.
A classic if ever there was one showcasing one of the world's truly great live bands at the height of their powers.

msteeln - good call on the vault. That place is a treasure trove of live music from an array of artists that will take you days to go through. There's even an app for the iPhone/iPod Touch. Great stuff.
:applause

mrmudcat
July 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
A timeless classic.
Much more can be heard on www.wolfgangsvault.com

Trivia time, per the cover pic.
Duane supposedly has something hidden in his clasped hands, anyone know what it is?
Tip - it ain't legal!
Other photos show the previously dour-faced band laughing, once he showed them what he'd picked up.
Here's some answers - http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/blog/index.php/2009/09/jim-marshall/

I know mstein .but of course I would..............:dance

sumitomo
July 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Wore out the vinyl,my cassette is almost wore out and I'm looking for a CD.I play this album almost daily!!!!Sumi:D

guitarhack
July 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Definitely in my top 5 all-time!

duhvoodooman
July 19th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Absolutely a classic--one of the all-time "guitar albums". The whole band is great, but there are moments that Duane's slide work is just other-worldly--chills up your backbone stuff. What a shame we didn't have him for longer, but he sure left behind some memorable music in his short recording career.

DVM "Old Fart Memory Moment": I can still remember very vividly hearing the first ABB album in the basement bedroom of a good HS buddy of mine--summer of 1969, shortly after we'd both graduated. He was one of those guys with just a great ear--always up on the best up & coming bands, always out in front of the wave of popular opinion. Anyway, he called me up and said that I just HAD to come over ASAP and hear the new album he'd picked up by a band out of Georgia (keep in mind that, at the time, almost all of the really good "guitar bands" came from the UK or California). He said the material was great, the band was tight, and they had not one but TWO lead guitar players--one of whom was excellent and the other was just un-freakin'-believable. So over I went, and we listened to the whole album twice through, and a couple of the tunes another time or two. I think I picked up my own copy a day or two later, and pretty much wore the grooves out of it....

msteeln
July 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM
there are moments that Duane's slide work is just other-worldly--chills up your backbone stuff.Les Paul stated one time that as good as the Fillmore album is, he'd seen Duane play guitar/slide much better. Hard to dispute The Man, but where are those tapes?!

Bloozcat
July 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Had it on 8-track, had it on vinyl, still have it on CD.

Saw them at the Spectrum in Philadelphia on that same tour in 1971. They were incredible!

It seems that we were going to great concert after great concert at the Spectrum in that 1970-1972 time period. ABB, Mountain, Johnny Winter And, Live, Deep Purple and Rod Stewart at the same concert, Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer at the same concert, Poco, Foghat...and others I can't recall right now.

But that Allman Brothers concert was one of the all time great concerts. And Live at the Fillmore probably the best live recording I've ever heard.. :thumbsup

Interesting Side Note: When Dickie Betts was younger he lived for a time with relatives in Stuart, Florida which is the town that abuts mine. I knew one of the members of that family, Donnie Smith, and he would sometimes talk about Dickie. About this time I met Donnie's uncle, Buford, who was a roadie for the ABB during the early days.

There was a kid who was involved in a tragic accident that left him paralyzed in about 1975/1976 and Donnie was able to get the ABB (now sans Duane) to play a benefit concert for this kid at a local dairy farm. In typical Southern style, we had a big pig roast that day before going to the concert. Two years after that, Dickie Betts returned and did another concert locally with his band Great Southern. Before they became the ABB, they were once called The 29th of February and they played in the local area several times...but this was before I moved to this area. Then they located permanently back in Macon Georgia and the rest, as they say, is history.

Nickolas Cook
July 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I think I love you guys...HA!
Seriously. I'm forty and as I get older it gets harder to find people to share this album with. The younger guys I've played music with wouldn't even listen to the damn thing. Too old fashioned, one of them told me later.
Needless to say, we are no longer playing music together (and barely friends, after that remark).
Seem silly to kick someone out of your life because they don't like this album?

oldguy
July 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM
It's a fantastic album with some of the best guitar I'd ever heard at he time. I graduated HS in '72 (so you know I'm an old fart) and it was mind numbing to me at the time how together the band was.
As for youngsters not giving some of the old music a chance....... well, I figure it's their loss, same as it would be if I refused to listen to the new groups today, and there are some good ones.

R_of_G
July 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM
As for youngsters not giving some of the old music a chance....... well, I figure it's their loss, same as it would be if I refused to listen to the new groups today, and there are some good ones.

:applause

Words to live by.

There's plenty of great music from all eras. I kind of pity someone who would choose to be ignorant of any kind of music solely on the basis of its recording date.

msteeln
July 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM
In the edition of http://www.recordcollectormag.com/ that is on our newstands currently, w/The Who on the cover, they discuss the recording of their legendary Live At Leeds record. Another contender for all-time best live album. Seems Pete had just gotten a new 1500 watt system, needless to say it was loud, and it produced the great sounds we've loved since by them. They recorded many shows that year and it was almost titled Live At Hull, but John's bass didn't make it on all the tunes at that gig, and Hull doesn't quite have the same ring to it... The band and audience were in top form that night, according to the ol' windmiller. He also talked breifly about the SG he was using at that time (and Woodstock/Isle Of Wight), which he was particularly fond of, and that it allowed him to play beyond his usual abilities.

exSP5Wintergreen
July 29th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Any of you guys ever hear this one?

Live at the Fillmore came out when I was in the employ of Uncle Sam and I didn't hear it until I came back to the states. Eat a Peach had just been released when I finished my 18 months in Korea and headed home. I bought it at the duty free shop in the Tokyo airport while waiting to change planes. It had Mountain Jam from the Fillmore concerts on it. You can hear it start immediately after Whipping Post. Man, they finish an incredible 26-minute improvisational masterpiece and launch right into a 33-minute song without pausing for breath! As soon as I heard Mountain Jam I hustled my civilian butt down to Axis, the local head shop/record store in St. Cloud, MN, and bought the live album. When it came time to switch from vinyl to CDs, it was one of the first two CDs I bought. The other was Born to Run.

exSP5Wintergreen
July 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I think I love you guys...HA!
Seriously. I'm forty and as I get older it gets harder to find people to share this album with. The younger guys I've played music with wouldn't even listen to the damn thing. Too old fashioned, one of them told me later.
Needless to say, we are no longer playing music together (and barely friends, after that remark).
Seem silly to kick someone out of your life because they don't like this album?

I dunno. But I'd prolly do it if they were really obnoxious about their guitar playing. Old fashioned? I think what he meant was that it contains too much beautiful music and not enough robotic shredding.

Tig
August 30th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I was surfing this website (http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/) and came across a small article with some Allman Brothers Band photos I've never seen. Certainly worth a look for any fan.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/guitar-god-duane-allman-behind-the-allman-brothers-sound/