PDA

View Full Version : Hello, from Tucson

Nickolas Cook
July 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Otherwise known as Hell in the summer.
It's about 115 F outside as I type this.
Anyway, my name is Nickolas Cook, a published horror author and reviewer for various aspects of the genre. I also edit a fairly successful online horror magazine called THE BLACK GLOVE, devoted to horror culture and entertainment.
I've been in a couple of bands when I was younger and recently got together to play music with a couple of friends from work I'd known for years.
Unfortunately, egos got in the way, so after about 6 months of playing, things went to crap...and now we don't speak to one another.
Despite the bad experience with that, I found I loved playing music again. I played keyboards and did the vocals for this latest band thing and now I've moved on to my first love: guitar.
I have an Ibanez acoustic, a beginner's Fender Bullet Strat and a semi-hollow single pickup Danelectro 56-U1 reissue. I just started getting back into the daily practice session and am trying very hard to learn the blues style of playing, somewhat like Duane Allman and Joe Bonamassa, filtered through the masters of yesteryear, such as Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and others.
I have a huge love for The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Cream, Jimi Hendirx and CCR, just to name a few of the 60s and 70s bands.
And since I'm so new to this again, I'll probably ask some really stupid questions, so bear with me. HA!

Robert
July 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Welcome Nicholas! What an interesting background. I am just reading Stephen King's "On Writing" - a very interesting book about King's experiences as a writer.

bcdon
July 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Welcome aboard! I grew up in the American Southwest and I get a sunburn every time I think about those 105+ days. So, pull out your water mister and your guitar and enjoy your stay! :dude

Nickolas Cook
July 18th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Robert, he wrote a great book for fans and writers at once. I've read it a few times. He's a really talented writer (and I understand he's not a bad guitarist, either).

bcdon, Thanks for the welcome. Not sure how many more years of this heat we can stand. HA!

Tig
July 18th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Welcome to The Fret!
Found your website http://the-black-glove.blogspot.com/
Cool stuff! You'll find several of us here are zombie story fans.
Also found your books. I may have to buy one.

FrankenFretter
July 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Welcome aboard, Nickolas! Like Doug said, you'll find horror fans here along with fellow guitarists. Glad to have you here!

sunvalleylaw
July 18th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Welcome Nickolas!

Nickolas Cook
July 18th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Tig, thanks for the linkage. I always feel like I'm spamming if I do it.
And I'm so glad to hear there are horror fans aboard. I always get along so much better with the dark people. HA!

Brian Krashpad
July 19th, 2010, 06:51 AM
... but it's a DRY heat!

Welcome, Nick.

And remember, there are no stupid questions!

Nickolas Cook
July 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM
That's good to know, cause I've got a lot of questions. HA!

oldguy
July 19th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Welcome, Nick.
You sure like some good music. :thumbsup

mrmudcat
August 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
welcome