PDA

View Full Version : Laboga Caiman

deeaa
July 19th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Tested this amp today...50W tube head & cab.

http://www.laboga.pl/english/caiman5300.html

For the first time since I got my Ceriatone I was duly impressed by an amp...sounds great indeed. When I plugged into 'clean' channel with an active guitar, I got the exact same sound I get with my Ceriatone halfstack, but with a proper master volume and it sounded incredibly good even at 'store' volume. Pretty cleans turn into instant AC/DC with some more gain applied.

The cab it comes with looks like a 4x10" but is dual 12" - a very compact package in all, and it was hard to believe that huge sound came from such a handy cab. It has a Celestion 12T-75 _and_ a V30 inside, which seems to really give it depth instead of two similar speakers.

Then there is a drive channel as well, and also that sounded marvellous IMO, although maybe even a bit too much gain available for me. But still, it didn't sound like a whole different channel, but more like the normal channel with much more drive to it. Pretty sweet - and sounded real nice even straight in front of the cab with no nasty overtones or high end shrieks. And it comes with dual gain buttons, so you also have a 'lead' channel availble, making it effectively a 3-channel amp.

I gotta say, I'm very much tempted to take the setup in for testing at the training place for a day...I'd love to test it alongside with my Ceriatone...but I fear if I fall in love with it I'd hate to have to sell the Ceria rig that was hand built for me after all.

It'd be quite nice to have a package half the size and with the same sound, plus no need for separate overdrives. Funny, as in I've just managed to get my setup so perfect for my use with lots of pedals :-)

Anyway, if you're looking for a compact yet 'stage size' amp with lush Marshall-type cleans and drive channels, do check it out. It really amazed me.

I guess the best thing about it was it really sounded so good right up front at any volume, I bet it can yield crazy good miked sounds.

The same amp was also available in a tiny 1x12" combo, and even that sounded very nice indeed...but that 2x12" setup sure sounded huge for the size.

Price is about 1200€ for the amp+cab....

Eric
July 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM
A perfect example of how being happy with your gear doesn't mean your eye won't wander, huh?

I've never heard of them, but I'll keep my eyes peeled now.