PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning day at Spanky's

Plank_Spanker
October 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM
The busy summer gig season is at a close and it's time to rid a few guitars of all that dried sweat and beer. I have my cleaning gear out, and it's been a good day so far applying some much needed TLC. Two Strats, my SG and LP are getting the treatment today.

They're a tad grungy.........

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM
What do you use , Spank , I use meguiars automotive products , its real easy on nitro , and I use their Quik Detailer for everyday cleaning , works great..

Plank_Spanker
October 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I have the Dunlop and Fender Meguiar's kits. I like the haze and swirl remover from the Fender kit, and I use the carnauba from the Dunlop kit as a final polish.

I polish the frets with 1500 grit sandpaper. I have a little guard that fits over the fret so you don't sand the board. I use naphtha with a soft tooth brush to get the really ground in gunk off of the board and I oil the boards with woodwind bore oil about once or twice a year. I use "Tuner ReNu" to clean the pots. I clean the hardware with denatured alcohol.

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I was doing a little searching on cleaning products and how the fretters here clean their guitars. Seems some of you use car and motorcycle products, others use guitar specific cleaners, none use Comet or Brillo pads.

I was looking at my guitars today and realized they were about due for a good cleaning, so I figure I would resurrect one of the old threads and get a little conversation going on the subject.

I've basically dry wipe down my guitars and never really did any treatment like polishing the body or conditioning of the fret board. I've seen the various kits by the likes of Fender and other brands, but really know nothing pro or con about the products.

So, what are some of the fretter secrets that we have going out there?

Plank_Spanker
February 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Strum,

If you're playing a rosewood or other porous wood fretboard, a little dab of oil once in a while makes them happy. The bodies will live without polish; your fretboard will thank you for the rehydration.........:D

just strum
February 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Strum,

If you're playing a rosewood or other porous wood fretboard, a little dab of oil once in a while makes them happy. The bodies will live without polish; your fretboard will thank you for the rehydration.........:D

Plank,

What sort of oil are you referring to?

Spudman
February 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Lemon oil and bore oil for wind instruments all seem to treat the rosewood nicely. You just need a little bit and only maybe once a year too depending on how heavy handed, sweaty and dirty your hands are when you play. Be sure to clean the fingerboard before application.

I like a good automotive paste wax once in a while too on the painted or heavily clear coated body. Meguiar's was my favorite for a long time.

Plank_Spanker
February 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Plank,

What sort of oil are you referring to?

I use woodwind bore oil. I'll put a small dot of it between every fret, rub it into the wood, let it set for a minute and wipe off any excess. I do this about once or twice a year and I've had my little 1.5 oz bottle for quite a while now.