PDA

View Full Version : SE PRS Pauil Allender: gimmick guitar or worth the money?

Nickolas Cook
July 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
http://www.prsguitars.com/allender/index.html

I've been shopping new guitars all day and discovered that my hands will not work with the Gibson neck (too large for my stubby hands, I guess), but I did find a PRS SE Paul Allender guitar, used, for $450.00. I kind of fell in love with the whole look and feel of it. I was able to move smoothly up and down the neck without problems. I thought the sound was excellent, compared to some lower end instruments I played throughout the day (B.C. Rich, for instance).
Does anyone here own one? Is it a gimmick guitar or is it something that I'll probably be pleased with in future days?

Monkus
July 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I've played one before, nice action, great tone, looks very cool. Its comparable to my mahogany PRS SE. It certainly isnt gimmick-y.

If I didnt have my PRS, I would probably have the Paul Allender. I played it back in 2009 and if I remember, it was the purple one. The bat inlays are cool as well.

markb
July 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM
PRS SEs are well made guitars that come out pretty well at their price point. Signature models of whatever brand are always a bit gimmicky imo.

hubberjub
July 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM
If you like it and can afford it, that's all that matters. It looks like they sell for 800ish new so $450 used isn't bad.

Katastrophe
July 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Nah, not a gimmick at all. Buy it!

In case you haven't noticed, we don't do well at discouraging purchases here!

I dig the inlays on the Allender. Guitar Player gave it a hell of a review a couple years ago.

Nickolas Cook
July 20th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Great news. Cause I really, really want this guitar. For the price, the look and feel, and the sound I think it's perfect for me.

Monkus
July 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
See if you can play it first though, the neck at the nut was kinda thin for me, meaning if i was going from an open E major to a Esus, my little finger would clip my fourth. YMMV.

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
I couldn't do the bat inlays, but to each his own.

Do you primarily play metal/hard rock?

Nickolas Cook
July 22nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
Not really. I love metal, but I'm primarily a blues and jazz fan, that just happens to also be a horror writer and lifelong fan. The bat inlays are just calling to me.

6stringdrug
July 23rd, 2010, 12:28 AM
I played the allender se model not too long ago, great guitar! sounded great, played easy, just couldnt wrap myself around the purple color tho. got a sunburst strat instead. At the end of the day, it's YOUR guitar, not fred's, not sid's, not nancy's. Playability to me is always first, but looks are a very close second. If I don't feel like I look cool with my axe, chances are I don't look cool with my axe. If it's calling your name, I say jump on it. At worst you can sell it if you change your mind. Just my $.02

:pancake

rylanmartin
July 23rd, 2010, 08:48 AM
I've got the Tremonti SE and replaced with pickups with a couple "Loudmouth" humbuckers from GFS and added a couple push/pull pots to coil tap. It's a really versatile guitar right now. I liked the Tremonti model because the controls were more like a Les Paul.

GuitarAcademy
July 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Wow I am going to have to voice my opinion as to the guitar, one of my students has that guitar and while somewhat solid, it really did feel gimmicky to me, flash, but only basic unremarkable playability. Basic impression, overrated, when it comes to substance, playability and feel.

GA

bigoldron
July 24th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Great news. Cause I really, really want this guitar. For the price, the look and feel, and the sound I think it's perfect for me.

Then, that's all that matters... Buy it, rock with it, LOVE it! :dude :thumbsup :rockya

BTW, if you get it, then.... :worthless