PDA

View Full Version : HD died...

deeaa
July 20th, 2010, 07:51 AM
F**K C**T S**T C**K F**K F**K there went over a month's worth of work...including the latest files for the song I just posted and three others.

F**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hate these modern HD's, they just can't take DAW use unless in a raid...I had raid-0 for years and NEVER a problem as the disks shared the stress, but single drives last maybe a year it seems at best...F**K!!!!

OK vent over...

guitarhack
July 20th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Ouch! Sorry for your loss, man. Will you be able to reconstuct any of the files?

deeaa
July 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Nah, it's totally dead...I just have to work with what I had previously. It's only like 3-4 songs that I've worked hard on recently, but it's still quite a bummer, I had gotten them in such a good shape and it's really annoying to have to do it all again...probably won't get them in such a good shape any more.

mjk123
July 20th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Deeaa,

While this will not help recover the data from the lost HDD, have you heard of: https://www.dropbox.com/? You get 2 GBs free and more if you are willing to pay. Also, if you invite some friends and they join and install DropBox, will can get up to 8GB more free.

Tig
July 20th, 2010, 08:24 AM
My laptop died last week. Thought it was the SATA hard drive, but a new drive couldn't be read either. Must be a hardware issue.
Bought a SATA to USB adapter, so I'll pull off the good stuff and copy to the desktop.

I've made a living working with or on PC's since the 8088 days, and I hate computers still!

omegadot
July 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Well, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but there is one last ditch chance at getting a HD to boot up one more time.

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

We've done it at work a few times. It worked once out of 6 or 7 times. I'm personally not sure if it's really the freezing or just the random chance it spins up again, but we got some files off. I usually try it more out of the novelty, honestly.

I'd recommend not booting from the drive, though. Maybe a LiveCD or if you already got another HD with an OS on it, boot from that.

Eric
July 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Yikes. Sorry, dude. The best I can offer is either something like Dropbox or a regular backup. I know that HDD quality seems to vary greatly from generation to generation and by size, but I don't know much beyond that. Some of mine have been great, others have been real clunkers.

Zip
July 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Before you toss the drive out the window, try Steve Gibson's SpinRight (http://www.grc.com/default.htm). I used version 1.something like a hundred years ago, and it worked. Certainly worth trying.

street music
July 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM
OUR IT guy at the office has a saying" THERE ARE THOSE WHO BACKUP and there are those who wish they did. I use to be in the later group.:thwap

omegadot
July 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
OUR IT guy at the office has a saying" THERE ARE THOSE WHO BACKUP and there are those who wish they did. I use to be in the later group.:thwap

I was thinking this, but wasn't going to rub it in...

deeaa
July 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
Deeaa,

While this will not help recover the data from the lost HDD, have you heard of: https://www.dropbox.com/? You get 2 GBs free and more if you are willing to pay. Also, if you invite some friends and they join and install DropBox, will can get up to 8GB more free.

Yeah, I've heard of it, but haven't the need because 2GB is so little, I don't even use USB sticks so small any more :-) After all I have almost three terabytes of drive just on my DAW. I have 50GB online storage now for data which I use mostly for music, been considering upping it to a hundred gigs, and five terabytes online storage for video&TV programs.

I really should back up more often. I only back up data, I can easily reinstall windows again and programs, but all data I backup to this external 1,5T drive, which is getting small though...and I need to start doing it more often.

deeaa
July 21st, 2010, 12:29 AM
Before you toss the drive out the window, try Steve Gibson's SpinRight (http://www.grc.com/default.htm). I used version 1.something like a hundred years ago, and it worked. Certainly worth trying.

Thanks, I have to keep that in mind for the next time...but the drive won't even boot up no more, doesn't show even in BIOS and if it's attached, the whole machine refuses to get past bios POST messages...so I guess it really is beyond any help.

That freezing thing seems interesting, but then again, well, I've already made peace with having lost the data, so I'm just gonna ship it back to WD. They've already sent me a new replacement drive, I now have 30 days to send the faulty one back to them.

omegadot
July 21st, 2010, 06:49 AM
A Bad HD shouldn't stop a POST if there is a good one to boot from. Before you send it back, have you tried booting from the new one with the old busted bastard in there too? I just really hate to see data go to waste. :(

deeaa
July 21st, 2010, 09:13 PM
A Bad HD shouldn't stop a POST if there is a good one to boot from. Before you send it back, have you tried booting from the new one with the old busted bastard in there too? I just really hate to see data go to waste. :(

That was a fiest for me too, I've lost at least a dozen drives but they never made the machine freeze so before. Maybe it has to do with the motherboard model, I haven't lost a disk before with this mobo. But, I have other disks in there as well and the machine works just fine and boots and all - as long as the bad disk is not attached. This was not a system disk, but the disk I keep music data on.

I really need to build that RAID array for music stuff...or maybe more ssd drives...at some point I had seven harddrives in the system, now only three...I better get at least one more soon, preferably another ssd....only they are small and expensive :-(