PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up my new strat

dirtyjerzie85
July 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I just bought me an American standard strat. I love the guitar and have been saving for some time now. Thing sounds great looks great and plays better. I'm fairly new to guitar playing I been playing for close to two years. Anyway. I'm having trouble adjusting the string height. It's not on all the strings. On the D and G string only. It's jacked almost all the way up. And still buzzing. Not a lot but noticable enough to where it's annoying. The neck is straight with a little releif in it. Now. I do like low action and it just seems that I can't get it with thus D/G string. I mean don't get me wrong this strat has the best action out of all my guitars. I mean the highest this fender goes is still low action to me anyway. It just seems no matter how much I tweak stuff on the guitar the D/G string still buzzes away. I don't understand. I did buy this guitar brand new never played. It didn't come off the wall at guitar center. I ordered it brand new from another music store online. I'm just looking for some help and tips or tricks on how I can get the lowest action with no buzz and the straitest neck possible. Thanks

o and by the way I'm runnig light guage strings. 9's. They are dean markley blue steals.

bcdon
July 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Nice video here:

ruTef2we5Yw

dirtyjerzie85
July 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hey I appreciate the video. I'm unable to watch videos because I am posting from my phone. I don't have Internet access right now. Thanks

MAXIFUNK
July 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Take it to a good local guitar store and have them give it a setup.

Bloozcat
July 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM
A couple of questions:

Do the strings buzz when played open (not fretted)?

Is the tremolo set up where the bridge plate is up off the body (floating)?

dirtyjerzie85
July 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
No buzzing when played open. And the tremelo is about 1/32" above the body. Almost touching the body. Only in the rear. The front of the tremelo is touching.

dirtyjerzie85
July 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM
I am replacing every single part on this strat. There will be nothing fender about this guitar besides the neck and body when I'm done with it. I'm replacing the tremelo with a wilinson/gotoh vsvg vintage tremelo. I'm changing the pickups also. Putting a dimebucker in the bridge and two Seymour Duncan hotrails in the middle and neck. Also putting sperzel trim Loks on it. And changing it all to black wich is currently white. It's lake placid blue. With all white. Soon to be all black. Hopeing it works out nice for me. Any input on this mod will be nice. Thanks

Bloozcat
July 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Your buzzing issue is likely to transcend the tremolo replacement. You may need to shim the neck slightly to correct the string path angle.

At which frets are you getting the buzzing?

So, why did you spend the money on an American Std. Strat only to change out all the Fender parts?

dirtyjerzie85
July 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Woops. I posted that one under the wrong thread. I have a Mexican STD. Strat that I am replacing all the parts on. My American I am keeping totally stock. It would be pointless to spend that kind of money to replace all the parts. Anyway. From what I can tell the buzzing is from the 5th to the 12th/13th fret. I am no pro tech when it comes to guitars. I do what I can and if I feel it's to much for me or to hard I take it to my tech. I have heard about this neck shimming deal and know nothing of it. So I guess my best options are to take it to my tech.

MAXIFUNK
July 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM
So I guess my best options are to take it to my tech.

EXACTLY it is what I do!

dirtyjerzie85
July 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks all for the input. You know I spent close to 1500 on my American and I really wouldn't expect this problem. I bought my Mexican for 500 and never had that issue. I also bought a 300 ibanez art100 and also never had that issue untill I wore the nut out from extensive playing. Lol. Thanks again.

Tig
July 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
My American I am keeping totally stock. It would be pointless to spend that kind of money to replace all the parts.

So I guess my best options are to take it to my tech.

That makes more sense. I was worried about all the changes to the American Strat!

I'd take it in like everyone says. It might need something simple, but it also might need to have a few frets leveled, which I wouldn't do myself without the right tools.

Let us know how it comes out...

markb
July 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Buzzing in the middle of the neck is either a back bow or high frets. Get it checked over.

dirtyjerzie85
July 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
I will let ya know how it comes out. And I will also let ya know how my Mexican strat turned custom works out as well. And again thanks a lot fellas.