PDA

View Full Version : Some Recent Acquisitions - quick reviews

markb
July 21st, 2010, 01:22 AM
Here's a few notes on some recent bits and pieces.

DiMarzio DP218 Super Distortion for Stratocaster - This is (iirc) the 5th pickup I've had in the bridge position i my mid 90s strat. I've had three different single coils in there and now two sc sized humbuckers. The SDS is a full on high output humbucker with a fat middle and bass and blunt top end. It sounds excellent with distortion, really thick singing lead tones when I feed my NZ$30 Ibanez Muff-alike with it. I haven't wired it to split in position 2 and like the big quack tone it gives. I took the tone control off the middle pickup to give a bit more sparkle and it works. This one's staying in for a while. I find it much more my idea of a lead pickup than the JB Jr I had in the guitar once before or the SSL-6 overwound single.

Ibanez TS7 - OK, it's another Tube Screamer in TS9 mode but I'm really taken with the hot mode for solos. A useful OD for just about anything. One to throw in the gig bag. If only you could footswitch it into "hot".

Boss DD-20 - All I can say is WOW! Not just because of the range of delays available but mainly for the sheer sound quality of the effected signal. Serious hi-fi tones and yet the analog and tape delays are suitably mucky (but in a good way). Add 4 memory locations plus manual with tap tempo available on all 5 settings, and what's not to like? The best delay I've ever used with the added bonus that the modulated delay covers my meagre chorus needs.

Eric
July 21st, 2010, 06:10 AM
Cool. I can't say I was looking to buy any of that equipment, but it's good to know what works for someone so that I have it in mind.