PDA

View Full Version : Rehearsal Tonight

Commodore 64
July 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
So I signed up for the "Summer Rock Band" at the store where I take lessons. I figured it might be fun. The idea is that several people/students at the store take part in a couple gigs at the end of summer. I've never played with a band or sang in front of people.

I don't know what I expected, but when I arrived at our 1st rehearsal there were 3 of us with guitars, a drummer, a bass player and a keyboarder/horns/whatever.

He handed out some chords and words and basically said let's go. So far we are working on:

1. Slow Down (Beatles)
2. Everybody's Trying to be my Baby (George Harrison)
3. Like a Rolling Stone (Dylan)
4. Gimme Shelter (Stones)
5. The Weight (The Band)

I'm doing vocals for The Weight. It was pretty freaky, and I'm sure I sound like ***, but the other members don't seem to mind. There's enough other instruments that when I mess up or don't mute a string/hit too many, it doesn't make too big of a mess (I hope).

Playing with a drummer and a bunch of other instruments is pretty cool.

Eric
July 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah, totally different ballgame, huh? In my experience, a good drummer can make a HUGE difference. Is the one in your band any good?

Good luck with everything. What setup are you using for it so far?

kidsmoke
July 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
Sweet!! Commie. That's what it's about, keep pushing boundaries. Playing with others makes a huge difference in the way you approach a song, and realizing it's not all about the guitar/ist, and there's lots of times the note you DON'T hit is just the right one.

Cheers!!!

aeolian
July 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Safety in numbers. It is easier playing as a group than as a solo performer, and more fun.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of doing this. I have only played in front of a crowd a few times but it has been fun every time.

Commodore 64
July 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
The drummer seems good to me, I dunno if I'd be a good judge yet or not, but yeah he seems good. He's in his 50s, a pilot.

I'm probably the youngest, save for the girl, who plays guitar, piano, harmonica and vocals.

Everyone is very supportive, they even told me I play guitar well, which, I know is not true. But it's really cool that they are trying to make me confident...it really helps, and it's damn fun.

guitarhack
July 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Kick some ***, Commodore!

Katastrophe
July 23rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
This is the best part of playing guitar, for me. There's nothing better than getting together with a bunch of musicians and just having fun.

This is an awesome thing, C64. Enjoy it, and have fun!

Commodore 64
August 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyIHQiR-mKo

I can't figure out how to embed you tube.

Well, here I am singing The Weight, and attempting to play guitar too. I don't know which is worse, the guitar or my singing, but at least I now have a reference point....and you all get to see what I look like.

Eric
August 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
MyIHQiR-mKo

Nice! It seems like you played and sang pretty well. Cool thing that you joined up with a band. I wonder if there's something similar around me.

Commodore 64
August 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Here's another song we did. My boost pedal was set too low, so you can't really hear it well, but I did try a little solo at 2m50s or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17KOVngU3U

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y17KOVngU3U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y17KOVngU3U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Commodore 64
September 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
So, the people I played with above, have this band called "Ate". It's 8 members...they play "animal" clubs (think elk club/vfw) and wedding receptions. They do about 6-10 gigs a year, and try to practice at least 1x per month. Getting 8 people together has got to be a PITA. Well, one of them quit the band after the last gig.

So the store manager (where I take lessons, and also the ringleader of Ate) called me up and asked if I'd like to be in the band. Of course, I said, "Yes.", and it looks like I've got to learn about 60+ songs and also better learn how to sing too. I guess helping set up and tear down at the little concerts above, must have endeared me to the guys (and girl). Heh.

The list of songs he showed me had CCR, Rolling Stones, Animals, Bowie, Ramones, The Band, and some R&B/Motown of the same Era. I'm looking forward this, after having dabbled playing with people like in the above posts, sitting at home practicing isn't nearly as much fun.

Eric
September 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Cool deal! You're definitely on the right track. I completely agree with you that practicing at home seems considerably less fun after playing with others.

Now if I could just find such a group...