PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Valve King 112 owners here?

deeaa
July 26th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I have a possible chance to swap my Vox AD30VT for a said Peavey.

I love the AD now I changed it's speaker to a great Celestion G35, but I understand there's a lot of mods around for the VK and it's a full tube amp I'd love to tinker with.

So...any owners here? Pros and cons, any insight?

Eric
July 27th, 2010, 06:02 AM
According to some discussion here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=15624), they're really nice amps. I've never played one, but impressions seem to be good from what I've read. I guess whether to do the swap depends on what you'll use it for.

My official guess is that yes, you will do the swap.

deeaa
July 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hehe.. you know me too well :-) yea I will swap if the price is low in between. say 50 max.

Katastrophe
July 28th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Don't own one, but played one with a Tele thinline not too long ago.

They sound great! Had a good variety of tones, and I even had a customer at the music store comment on the tones.

They come at a great price... The only question is about reliability. That I can't answer.

NWBasser
July 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I do recall reading quite a few negative comments on HC about them. If I remember correctly, there were many reported quality and reliability issues.

I had a shot at a used one for pretty cheap awhile back and didn't pursue it after reading all the negative comments.

It seems like a bit more research might be a good idea before you do any swap.

deeaa
July 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hmmm...well it's for home use so reliability is't so big a factor.Still, gotta see what I can find. Thanks everyone for great info!

FrankenFretter
July 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have a ValveKing Royal 8. It's likely a different animal than the 112, but I really don't care for the brittleness of the amph when it's overdriven. It sounds like a kazoo, although someone said it had the Black Keys sound to it. I replaced the speaker with a Jensen Mod, and switched out the preamp tube, but it didn't change anything. Works ok for cleans if you use the low gain input.

deeaa
July 30th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Heh, I guess I have to believe the quality of these amps is a bit lacking...went to a store and tested one - well tried - brand new amp and lights came on but tubes didn't glow and no sound. Salesperson was also surprised, said it had worked yesterday.

sumitomo
July 30th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Didn't you know that is the kick start model.Sumi:D