PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my new Hag

riverrick
July 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I have had problems with my neck pick-up cutting in and out. It's only happened a couple of times. Was wondering if any of you Hag owners have had a similar experience. I get a clicking noise when moving my pups switch back and forth.

Robert
July 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Not me. Sounds like you should take it back and get it looked at.

ZMAN
July 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
It seems like a common problem with budget semi hollow guitars. I have had two go on my Epi Sheratons. I am wondering now if the switch being open to the elements inside the body causes this. I know epi switches are really cheap, but maybe it is the same for most budget guitars. A changes to a switchcraft always solves the issue.

riverrick
July 27th, 2010, 11:35 AM
OK....thanks for the info guys.

mapka
July 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
What model do you have? I have a Swede that had a problem with the filter switch popping that I had my tech address. I did not have any luck dealing with Hagstrom. I wrote them and had no response. The switches are pretty cheap. Pickups are not bad and the pots are of good quality. The wiring is not great either. Still love the guitar though!

Spudman
July 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have the same issue occasionally with my Viking Deluxe. I haven't gotten too annoyed with it yet but when I do I'll try a shot of Deoxit.

riverrick
July 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I have the Viking. And I know what you mean about communication with the Hag people. I too have had problems with them!!! Not too good at getting back to you....Grrrrrr!!! Was thinking about getting a Swede....but not so sure now.

Kestrel
July 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Before you take your guitar in to get looked at use some DeoxIT or Contact Cleaner first. Spray it on the toggle switch and work the switch a bit. It won't hurt the guitar, dries really quick and works wonders.

riverrick
July 29th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that bit of info....where can I find this stuff???

mapka
July 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I have the Viking. And I know what you mean about communication with the Hag people. I too have had problems with them!!! Not too good at getting back to you....Grrrrrr!!! Was thinking about getting a Swede....but not so sure now.

The popping problem and silence from Hagstrom aside, I love my Swede! I have one with their tremelo system on and it stays in tune with no problem. It is a little darker then the pickups on my LP. I think it was a good buy for the price I paid.

Eric
July 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I got some at a local radio shack. It's basic electronics cleaner -- I think it was $5-7 or somewhere in that range.

Kestrel
July 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Yep, you can get some at Radio Shack. Ace Hardware stores sometimes carry the stuff as well. I happened to get a can of Contact Cleaner at a local guitar shop in my area that sells them. I used to have a Peavey JF-1 semi-hollow that had the same issue as your Hagstrom. All I did was saturate the toggleswitch with Contact Cleaner and worked the switch back and forth a bit and it fixed the problem. Basically the cleaner dissolves the gunk that builds up on electrical contacts without harming any components.

riverrick
July 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Cool....thanks guys....I'm off to the shack!!

Kestrel
July 29th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Cool....thanks guys....I'm off to the shack!!

Let us know how it works out. Spray the stuff in there pretty good and wipe any excess that gets on the body. Repeat as needed. Remember to work that toggle switch.

Every guitarist/bassist should have a can of that stuff handy. I also use Contact Cleaner to remove that stubborn residue you get sometimes when you peel off the protective film off a pickguard. It's safe to use on pickguards, works better than WD-40 and doesn't leave the stinky mess that WD-40 leaves behind.

riverrick
July 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Let us know how it works out. Spray the stuff in there pretty good and wipe any excess that gets on the body. Repeat as needed. Remember to work that toggle switch.

Every guitarist/bassist should have a can of that stuff handy. I also use Contact Cleaner to remove that stubborn residue you get sometimes when you peel off the protective film off a pickguard. It's safe to use on pickguards, works better than WD-40 and doesn't leave the stinky mess that WD-40 leaves behind.

Worked like a charm....thanks Kestrel. No more clicking of the pups switch. The Fret comes through again, the best forum on the net:happy

otaypanky
July 30th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Before you take your guitar in to get looked at use some DeoxIT or Contact Cleaner first. Spray it on the toggle switch and work the switch a bit. It won't hurt the guitar, dries really quick and works wonders.

I had luck with that with an old DeArmond jazz box style guitar. The switch seemed to oxidize easily and often. DeOxit took care of it. It's not the same thing as the Radio Shack contact cleaner though ~

Kestrel
July 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Worked like a charm....thanks Kestrel. No more clicking of the pups switch. The Fret comes through again, the best forum on the net:happy

Glad to hear it worked. :dude Enjoy that Hagstrom!

Kestrel
July 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I had luck with that with an old DeArmond jazz box style guitar. The switch seemed to oxidize easily and often. DeOxit took care of it. It's not the same thing as the Radio Shack contact cleaner though ~

DeoxIT has some added chemicals and is a good product, but it's not always easy to find (at least not in my area) unless you happen to order it online or know of a retailer in your area that has it in stock. Regular electrical Contact Cleaner will work in a pinch and you can easily find several brands of the stuff at hobby shops, hardware stores, and of course, Radio Shack.

mapka
August 28th, 2010, 01:47 PM

I know this post is old, but I found a new (to me!) source for DeoxIT. www.parts-express.com is the place. I had the do some speaker repairs for me and they were quick and courteous.