PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful let down guitar (Switchfoot album cover)

James299
July 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am wondering if anybody knows what brand of guitar is on the album cover of Switchfoot's "Beautiful Letdown". Apparently Foreman bought it from a pawn shop somewhere, but I can't figure out what brand. Looks like some off brand from the seventies. It's been bugging me so I thought see if anyone knows.

Eric
July 27th, 2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.manamedia.com.au/music/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/switchfoot-the-beautiful-let-down.jpg

Looks like maybe a tele of some sort (?) to me, but with a bigger pickguard. Maybe one of the people who knows the difference between all of the custom/classic/deluxe/etc. models will chime in.

To be honest, to me it looks like a bass, but it has 6 strings. Hrmm...

Eric
July 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Looks like maybe a tele of some sort (?) to me, but with a bigger pickguard. Maybe one of the people who knows the difference between all of the custom/classic/deluxe/etc. models will chime in.
Actually, looking at it now, it's a double-cutaway, so there's no way it's a tele. Dumb answer on my part.

hubberjub
July 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
It looks like it might be an older Harmony or Kay.

LeadedEL84
July 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Harmony,Kay,or Lotus would be my top guesses. I have seen that headstock shape before but I need a better look. I worked at a music store that dealt in alot of used equipment. It was the mid and late 80s and I saw tons of 70s guitars go through there. There were so many oddball guitars in the 70s with different names. I saw many with no names at all. Many were cheap,crappy,"student" guitars but there were some oddballs that were actually well built and very playable. The styling was quirky and the electronics were strange but they had nice necks and interesting tone. I remember one I worked on with a similar shaped headstock. It came in with flatwounds and a little surface rust on the hardware. I restrung it,polished it up and worked on the action. It was a little screamer. Can't remember the name on the headstock but I think it started with a P. Palmer? Pearce? Packard? LOL
I've also seen some Peaveys with that type of styling but the headstock doesn't look like peavey. The bridge/tailpiece and headstock look most like Harmony from the picture of that one.

James299
July 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
It looks like the headstock could say harmony on it, the angle the picture was taken at is a bit too low to really see though. I just thought it was a cool guitar and rather interesting that it has no bridge pickup on it. Looks like to two singles in middle and neck. Weird. Thanks for the input.