PDA

View Full Version : eBay shipping issue - your thoughts?

Robert
July 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM
So I bought this GI-20 on eBay, and in the description, it clearly states he will be shipping with USPS. Great, since he is in USA and I'm in Canada. USPS means way less fees for me.

Then he sends me an email saying it's on its way, here is the UPS tracking number. UPS? WTF!

UPS rapes Canadians when buying from USA. I expect the brokerage fee will mean this unit will cost me at least an extra $50, perhaps even more.

I complained to the guy, and he says he had no idea, shipping with UPS was easier for him and he is willing to split the extra costs with me.

What you figure? Should I settle for that? I think he should pay ALL the extra costs, since he didn't do what his listing description stated. On the other hand, if it's only around $25 extra, perhaps that easier than to waste my time and energy on this stuff. Thoughts?

I don't know what the eBay rules are on this, but he clearly didn't do what his listing said he would do.

Eric
July 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
It's understandable that he didn't know -- I wouldn't have known had I not read about your previous struggles. However, I think he should have told you he was using UPS. It seems reasonable to me to make him pay any extra fees. I would read any policies ebay has, suggest he pay for any difference in cost on your end, and have the ebay policy ready if he flakes out.

However, I'm usually big into making things just, so perhaps shutting your mouth and paying $25 would be best. I doubt it's what I would do, but it might be the best option.

Bloozcat
July 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Well Robert, if he had it in writing that he was going to ship USPS then any additional charges due to changes he made to the agreement are his to pay. It was incumbent upon him to know how his changes were going to affect the costs. Offer, acceptance, agreement, contract. He changed the provisions of the contract without your expressed approval.

I would not agree to split any additional charges that I didn't approve. Why should you?

Spudman
July 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
First copy the auction and save it to your hard drive before it vanishes or gets changed.

Then start your negotiations. I certainly would accept any further charges if it was clearly stated in the text of the auction what his intentions were for shipping. If you are uncomfortable paying more then cancel your payment, end the deal and wait for another one. It's not like you can't live without it.

LeadedEL84
July 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Well Robert, if he had it in writing that he was going to ship USPS then any additional charges due to changes he made to the agreement are his to pay. It was incumbent upon him to know how his changes were going to affect the costs. Offer, acceptance, agreement, contract. He changed the provisions of the contract without your expressed approval.

I would not agree to split any additional charges that I didn't approve. Why should you?

I'm with Bloozcat on this. Sure the guy might not have realized the cost difference but it is still his responsabilty. He is breaking contract by changing shipping companies. It would be different if he listed UPS in his auction and specified it was at his descression. He should pay all the extra costs.
As an active ebayer I know it is important to be reasonable and good to be flexable. However,it is also important for sellers to follow the rules. If a seller follows the rules things like this don't happen. Good sellers don't pull stuff like that. Even if it is an oversight or just laziness that cause people to cut corners they need to learn a lesson. You have to stand up for yourself on ebay or many will walk all over you. ebay will back you up on it.

FrankenFretter
July 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Ironically, I just had something similar happen to me with a Dremel; the seller stated it would be shipped Priority Mail for $7.50, but it seemed to be taking forever, and when it did arrive, it had been shipped parcel post. Not a huge deal, considering that the actual cost to ship was over $11, but it still didn't jibe with the Ebay posting.

I think you should have him cover any additional costs, Robert. It's the right thing to do. Don't let him backpedal out of it, either. He may have thought he was doing you a favor, but he should've consulted you first to see if it was okay with you.

bigG
July 27th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Robert, I've learned to choose my battles carefully. I doubt the guy did anything wrong on purpose.

If it were me, it's not worth the emotional or temporal waste and hassle and I'd split the cost w him. Alot of times peace of mind is worth more than a few dollars.

But, if you're a stickler for "everything by the letter of the law", and $25 or $50 is worth the aggravation to you, then have at it. I'd rather put it to bed immediately and say "lesson learned".

Robert
July 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I just talked to eBay. They said:

"You can leave him appropriate feedback since he already shipped the item."

But then they said:

"You can actually report this seller for excessive shipping."

LeadedEL84
July 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I just talked to eBay. They said:

"You can leave him appropriate feedback since he already shipped the item."

But then they said:

"You can actually report this seller for excessive shipping."
I would withhold feedback until you guys work it out. It is up to you if you want to be a "nice guy"and split the extra cost as the seller offered. You have the feedback as leverage to either demand he covers all extra costs or to at least insure he pays his "half"as offered.
One thing about ebay is that sometimes it depends on which C.S. rep you talk to as to what advice /answer/solution they will give you. When pressed though it will always come down to this: Legally he broke the contract and ebay has to back you on it. He specified one form of shipping in the auction and used another. The seller is responsible for any lossed item or shipping costs incurred by his decission.
The reason I say this is because I have been through it before. I had a seller who specified UPS shipping but decided at the last minute to switch to USPS to save money. It effected me in a different way than monetarilly in this case. At the time I lived in an apartment complex with niehbors rhat couldn't be trusted. As such I had all my UPS packages forwarded to a relatives house since I was not at home during the day because of work. The seller didn't inform me of the switch and USPS left the package at my door. It disappeared. After a week and a half I contacted the seller who broke the news that my package was delivered by USPS. It was a long ,drawn out ordeal with the post office and the seller tried to get out of replacing the item. In the end ebay backed me up because the seller broke the contract by switching shipping methods. I got a full refund including shipping costs I paid.
When it's small stuff like a little overcharge for shippng or an extra week for ship time I tend to be flexable and overlook alot as long as the item is good. But when sellers don't follow the "important" rules I am a "stickler". Sellers who switch shippers on you are doing bad business. It's not always just about a few bucks. It's a very important rule that needs to be followed.
IMO ebay has rules and guidelines for a reason. Most of them protect both the buyer and seller. It doesn't really matter what the sellers intent is for breaking the rules. If it is for personal gain or oversight it is bad business either way. I've cut people slack and I've had people do the same for me. The few times I had to enforce "the letter of the law" I felt it was for a good reason. Not only to recover my costs but as a service to my fellow ebayers. By correcting sellers bad business habbits or nailing a scammer you make ebay a safer business environment for everyone. Letting important stuff slide helps no one except the guy that just pocketed your money. (In this case UPS gets your money) Sometimes when choosing your battles you have to look at the big picture as well as how it effects you personally.
If you decide to split the extra costs or fight for full reimbursment I see nothing wrong with either decision. It is up to you. I can understand not wanting a big hassle. I'm willing to overlook a couple bucks here and there,or maybe $5-$10 on an expensive item. $25-$50 is more than I would put up with on any ebay deal. That kind of money will not make me or break me but it's enough to squash my apathy and get me out of "nice guy" mode.

Robert
July 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM
He finally said, "ok" to having him pay the extra costs, but he also said I could have sent some kind of warning, since most people shipping from USA wouldn't know that UPS charges extra fees under these circumstances.

I am not sure what I will do. Sure, I could have told him when I paid, "by the way, make sure you DO ship with USPS since I'm in Canada, etc", but then again, I trusted his item description and didn't think about it further. HE could have emailed me and said, "by they way, UPS is easier for me, is that okay, etc.."

I don't want to be a pain in the butt, but still, a seller shouldn't suddenly change (after receiving payment) their shipping methods, now should they?

FrankenFretter
July 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM
He finally said, "ok" to having him pay the extra costs, but he also said I could have sent some kind of warning, since most people shipping from USA wouldn't know that UPS charges extra fees under these circumstances.

I am not sure what I will do. Sure, I could have told him when I paid, "by the way, make sure you DO ship with USPS since I'm in Canada, etc", but then again, I trusted his item description and didn't think about it further. HE could have emailed me and said, "by they way, UPS is easier for me, is that okay, etc.."

I don't want to be a pain in the butt, but still, a seller shouldn't suddenly change (after receiving payment) their shipping methods, now should they?

No, they shouldn't. You are correct.

LeadedEL84
July 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM

You are exactly right,Robert. If the seller was in the habit of following the auction rules he would not run into problems like this. There is absolutaly no reason why you should have had to warn him of this. It is his bad business practices that bit him in the butt not your lack of babysitting him by "foreseeing " that he might stray from his advertised shipping method.If he had listed multiple shipping options including UPS it would have given you a "heads up" to communicate about it (even before bidding). As it is in this case though he has no leg to stand on.
I can't believe any one would have the nerve to claim you had any responsibility to foresee their mistakes. I really hope he's just trying to cover himself with that claim. If he thought the scenerio through and came to that conclusion he must be really dumb. I don't claim to be a genius but when I look around this modern world we live in I see a serious lack of critical thinking skills in my avarage,fellow human. LOL:thwap
Glad you got it worked out at least