PDA

View Full Version : Is this Blues or Jazz? Or both?

quiqueguitar
July 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I've recorded this song. To me it's a blues played with jazz chords, but my friends say they don't see the blues side to it anywhere. What is your opinion? Thanks!

ezjlO7EPwK8

LeadedEL84
July 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I'm hearing jazz,swing,and rockabilly there. Rockabilly has elements of blues,jazz, and swing. I wouldn't call what you are playing blues though. Regardless of the style that is some great playing. Reminds me of Les Paul.

R_of_G
July 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Tell your friends jazz is rooted in the blues so they're not mutually exclusive.

Also, I concur with the previous poster that your playing is excellent, whatever genre your friends want to call it. I just enjoy seeing someone else around here playing a hollowbody.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

:dude

jpfeifer
July 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Great playing. I love the chord work, and I love the 335.

To me this is Jazz interpetation the Blues, if I had to categorize it. But why get hung up on categories? I think of it more as a really great example of what you can do with a Blues tune by throwing in lots of different elements that you find in Jazz, Swing, Rock-a-billy, etc.

Great playing.

--Jim

Robert
July 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Great chord work. It's jazz of course.

Sweet skills you got, man!

Is that a tune you composed yourself? Or is it some arrangement you learned from somewhere? Either way, it's impressive.

riverrick
July 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Very. very nice playin' man. defintly jazz. I did hear a small blues lick in there though.

quiqueguitar
August 26th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks everyone of you for your interesting comments. Different views, but all enlightening.

Is that a tune you composed yourself? Or is it some arrangement you learned from somewhere? Either way, it's impressive.
Thanks Robert. I took the intro and other bits from here:

tANjFzxHakY

I took other bits from a Brian Setzer's video I found on Youtube and the rest is mine. Let's say 1/3 each. I must admit it's an honour to share this song with my buddies Brian & Barney :D :D

Take care and I'll see you around here.

piebaldpython
August 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Damn, that was some sweet playing on that hollowbody. Great definition in the tone of all that chordin'.

I guess one could argue that it's vaguely similar to West Coast style jump blues....ala Rusty Zinn or Kid Ramos. Mostly jazz though to my bluesy ears.

Still, you sure can play and it was tasteful and nice.

Monkus
August 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM
that.was.great! whether its jazz or blues....!

Mr Pants
August 31st, 2010, 01:32 PM
Nice licks mate, whatever you want to call it.:thumbsup

SuperSwede
August 31st, 2010, 02:31 PM
"The blues can come to you in any shape or form" - Albert King

Love your sound and playing.

quiqueguitar
October 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thank you very much is all I can say. Take care, folks!

SemiHollow
October 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
great tune, i'm loving the chords and I def hear the blues in there too