PDA

View Full Version : 3-ply or 1-ply? White plastic parts or aged?

elavd
October 16th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I always admired David Gilmour's black strat, so I have recrently finished my "Blackie" partscaster:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f283/elavd/elavdblackie.jpg

But I realised that David's guitar has a single ply black pickguard, though mine has a 3-ply (black-white-black layers).

Also David's plastic parts have aged through the years, while mine are white like snow.

So the questions are these:

Q1) Do you think think that a 1-ply pickguard is looking better on o Blackie guitar like that?

Take a look at this, for example:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/fenderiarhs/BlackStrat1.jpg

Do you think that it looks better or worse?

Q2) Do you think that I sould age the white plastic parts (or buy aged ones) or should I leave them age through the years??

SuperSwede
October 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I vote 1-ply pickguard, aged plastics.

Justaguyin_nc
October 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I am also a gilmour fan... Sweet look ... I think the 1 ply looks best but perfer the white plastic and let it age in time... by time it looks gilmourish the rest of the guitar will also.. Umm..when are you going to cut the trem bar down like davids? I wonder if they make one shorter like that in the after market?

Iago
October 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM
if you want a more simple-50s look go to the 1-ply

60s look and others - 3ply

I liked you strat the way it is.. the 3-ply black guard breaks a bit of the monotony :)

but if it had a white pickguard would be 1-ply to me hands down

Tim
October 16th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Be yourself and just play your guitar.

elavd
October 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Be yourself and just play your guitar.
That's a very good advice indeed! Thanks :)

Spudman
October 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Take a black permanent marker to the beveled edge of the pickguard. Instant all black!

Plank_Spanker
October 17th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Everybody knows that a three ply pickguard multiplies the tone by three...............:)

marnold
October 18th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Note: this is personal opinion only

I think that aged parts and new guitars made to look worn are about the dumbest things that the musical instrument industry has ever come up with. If you want an aged guitar, buy a guitar and play it. My $0.02, but worth substantially less.

Iago
October 19th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Note: this is personal opinion only

I think that aged parts and new guitars made to look worn are about the dumbest things that the musical instrument industry has ever come up with.

It`s the buyers fault. The industry is just attending to a demand. People simply started asking for factory "relic`ed" (I hate this term) guitars.. if you were from Fender what you would do? And they actually sell! Though I wouldn`t buy one myself, I dont like destroyed gear, specially one that`s all torn up to look like somebody else`s like that Rory Gallagher Sig. and the SRV #1 clones I saw the other day .

By the way, I have an authentically aged strat pickguard and knobs to sell, anyone? :D

tremoloman
October 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I like aging the parts myself under real playing... or by taping them to a window for a month and cheating! :)

marnold
October 19th, 2006, 07:52 PM
It`s the buyers fault. The industry is just attending to a demand. People simply started asking for factory "relic`ed" (I hate this term) guitars.. if you were from Fender what you would do? And they actually sell! Though I wouldn`t buy one myself, I dont like destroyed gear, specially one that`s all torn up to look like somebody else`s like that Rory Gallagher Sig. and the SRV #1 clones I saw the other day .
I guess maybe I can understand why Fender would do it but not why anyone would want it :) To each their own. Nobody has (yet) put a bazooka to my head and forced me to buy one.

Iago
October 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I guess its an uncounscient desire of standing out from the crowd... People want worn gear so they can look like they have a whole life with the instrument..many miles together like two old buddys etc.. also cos` they wanna look like they have a gem from the past.. an important museum piece.

stingx
November 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Has to be 3-ply with aged parts for me ;)

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I want single ply on a maple necked JV strat...in parchment. Although I like 4 ply tortoise on my rosewood Mexi Strat. My knobs, pickup covers and switch tip have been "Folgerized" aged. .....Oh and single ply PG on 50's Teles definately.

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I want single ply on a maple necked JV strat...in parchment. Although I like 4 ply tortoise on my rosewood Mexi Strat. My knobs, pickup covers and switch tip have been "Folgerized" aged. .....Oh and single ply PG on 50's Teles definately.

I voted 3ply and white because of my guitar, but I think it depends on the guitar. I like all black on the Gilmourish one. I am generally not one for artificially aged anything, but that is just my deal.