PDA

View Full Version : Newbie discovers extension cab magic...!

poodlesrule
July 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
A certain new guitar of mine (with humbuckers, new to me) was apparently not getting along with my otherwise-charming Pathfinder 15R. I was looking at adding an amph, hewing and hawing....

An acquaintance gave me older a pair of 8" speakers, formerly stock Marshall Micro Stack or such, no award winner.

Some jigsaw work and some soldering, and, voilĂ*, extension cab!
Raw as it is -speakers faceplate rests on dining room chairs, testing phase, it already sound pretty good..!

the new amph money could now towards decent to excellent speakers.... and some soldering lessons!

FrankenFretter
July 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
A certain new guitar of mine (with humbuckers, new to me) was apparently not getting along with my otherwise-charming Pathfinder 15R. I was looking at adding an amph, hewing and hawing....

An acquaintance gave me older a pair of 8" speakers, formerly stock Marshall Micro Stack or such, no award winner.

Some jigsaw work and some soldering, and, voilĂ*, extension cab!
Raw as it is -speakers faceplate rests on dining room chairs, testing phase, it already sound pretty good..!

the new amph money could now towards decent to excellent speakers.... and some soldering lessons!

Good for you! I have at times entertained the notion of building a 4x8" cab. I don't think I have the required carpentry skills, though. How about some photos of the finished product?

Katastrophe
July 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Good for you! I have at times entertained the notion of building a 4x8" cab. I don't think I have the required carpentry skills, though. How about some photos of the finished product?

A few years ago, I remember seeing that Hartke was making a head and 4x8 cab.

Maybe you could find one used, cheap?

Awesome on the speaker experiment, poodlesrule. I now live vicariously through your sense of adventure. Post pics!

deeaa
July 28th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Just build one, unless you want a nice neat vinyl cover or such, you don't need any skills that you can't learn in the process.