PDA

View Full Version : The Fillmore East - Closing night 7/27/71

msteeln
July 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
The end of an era, and a very special night, full of exemplary performances by some of the all-time best http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/playlists/fillmore-east-closing-6-27-71/playlist-793582.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100727

exSP5Wintergreen
July 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
No rockin' for me that night. I was manning the Cold War ramparts at scenic Zoeckler Station, Republic of Korea, and assigned to Army Security Agency Special Activities Detachment-III. Not sure what I was doing at the moment the Fillmore closed, but it was probably a) replacing yet another HP transistor in our balky sigint equipment and thinking of going down to the Ville and drinking heavily after work; or b) drinking heavily down in The Ville; or c) playing double pinochle in the barracks, and drinking heavily.

Thinking of those two nights a lot lately. I'm learning the parts of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed that I can handle (been at this guitar thing only three months, so you won't hear any of those Duane Allman volume swells from me), the version recorded the night before for the legendary Live at the Fillmore East album. Man, they were a great, great band. Unique sound, with the twin leads and dual drummers. When they were rockin, nothing could touch them. I only saw them after Duane was killed, about a year after I came home from the army. They were still awesome, even with Dickie Betts playing the only guitar. Dickie was and still is overshadowed by Duane's genius, but he was one helluva great guitarist and composer in his own right. But that incredible rhythm section!!!! I can still hear them.

It's wonderful listening to Elizabeth Reed and Whipping Post from the Fillmore album. Monumental tunes! But it's sad, too. Duane was dead a couple months later. They'd been together only a few years and were going to get nothing but better and better. We can marvel over what they accomplished that night (the night before the closing concert), but it's heartbreaking to think of what might have been. It's the same feeling I get when listening to Band of Gypsies.