PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting old threads

Eric
July 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I've been trying to figure out what to do about old threads on here. There are many cool ones where discussion ended before I joined on.

If I find one of these threads, I have two options:

Start my own version of the thread and if I'm lucky, nobody will say "We already discussed this. Learn how to use the search function."
Add my 2 cents on the existing thread and hope nobody complains about how I'm resurrecting a dead thread.

Which do you guys and girls prefer? There's a lot of neat stuff on here that was before my time, but only a portion of that really falls under the read-only category (i.e. reference threads to learn about stuff).

Just continuing to try to play friendly...

hubberjub
July 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I say just add to the existing thread. That will save people from having to repeat themselves.

Commodore 64
July 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Same here. I have no problem with old threads being revived.

Katastrophe
July 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Bring 'em back, I say! No sense in starting another thread if one is already around.

LeadedEL84
July 30th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm glad you asked this question, Eric. I was just thinking the same thing recently because I have posted on a couple resurrected threads. I have only been around a few months ( as a registered member anyway). I often read the old threads but try resist the urge to post on them. I have been to less friendly forums where they get rude about reffering you to old threads,but then get irritated with resurrections too. I don't see that attitude here but I would like to know what other active and long term members think. I too would like to know what is prefered here.

Eric
July 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Well, reaction seems pretty uniform so far. I'll give it some more time and let everyone weigh in.

Spudman
July 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I say just add to the existing thread. That will save people from having to repeat themselves.

;)

Really, when threads get revived it's sort of like the conversation never ended. I kind of like seeing them come back because there is often some useful information in them.

Kazz
July 31st, 2010, 05:37 AM
I get a bit amused when the last action in the thread was over a year ago, but I also think if the new addition is interesting that the age of the previous thread does not make much difference. This place is much more lenient than others tho.

Katastrophe
July 31st, 2010, 09:12 AM
There are gaps in my time here at The Fret where I didn't log in for a while, due to work or other obligations, so resurrecting old threads is a good thing.

I've been able to see some stuff that I had previously missed! I think it's also cool to see what others have written in the past, just to see if preferences/opinions have changed over time.

FrankenFretter
July 31st, 2010, 11:11 AM
It seems to me that resurrecting old threads is the way to go. It's kind of like recycling; instead of throwing out the old one, you re-use it. Just my two cents.

kidsmoke
August 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
I argree on the old thread resurrection approach. Probably no surprise there as I've done it myself in the last week.

My opinion is that these things are a resource of information. Being able to add to or ask about that info is invaluable.

I appreciate your diplomatic approach, Eric. I tend to ask for forgiveness rather than permission...not always the right approach.

MAXIFUNK
August 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
I don't search the site hardly ever for old threads.
I have need to know something I'll start a new thread but that is just who I am.

Spudman
August 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Just think...someday...this will be an old thread. :running

LeadedEL84
August 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Just think...someday...this will be an old thread. :running

When this is an old thread I'm going to post on it and say I hate it when people revive old threads. Just to mess with the newbies.:laughingatyou

sunvalleylaw
August 3rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
Ressurect them. Rather than disjointed pieces of conversation, searching and reviving old ones is more efficient, and more useful, from a group point of view.

Jipes
August 3rd, 2010, 03:11 AM
To me there's so much stuff there already that I've missed so reviving an Old thread is not a bad thing, it just need some strength to read the 20 pages :thumbsup :rollover

player
August 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
To me there's so much stuff there already that I've missed so reviving an Old thread is not a bad thing, it just need some strength to read the 20 pages :thumbsup :rolloverit is going on in other boards too,just shows members are looking at threads past instead of starting new ones asking something asked and answered before.yes it is good in that respect.

Robert
August 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yes I have no problem with thread resurrection. :)

otaypanky
August 27th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Resurrecting old threads and starting new ones on subjects previously discussed each have their good points. To suggest using the search function because you think there's a thread out there that may answer someone's newly posted question is cool. Being rude to someone isn't.

Eric
August 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM
To suggest using the search function because you think there's a thread out there that may answer someone's newly posted question is cool.
I think that's a very good point that I may have missed in my initial post, so point taken. I do tend to search when I'm looking for reference information.

Rotor
August 28th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Good to know that it's okay. As a stone cold newbie to this forum, I find stuff every time I come that is cool. Of course I'll try and exercise good judgement and not just bring up an old thread just to say it was informative.

SuperSwede
August 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.rooney.org/tlc/silly/holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

ThereĀ“s a wealth (?) of information in our archives.. feel free to resurrect everything not related to "grate cheese", "pull gain nobs that turn on 999.999 times of 1.000.000" and a certain pancake thread ;)

omegadot
August 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I honestly think the point of a forum is the static nature of the conversations. So resurrect!!