PDA

View Full Version : starting on the strat

grungeiceman
July 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I Just started th sanding process, hopefully will have this thing stained by the end of the weekend.

bigoldron
July 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Good luck Grunge. Take lots of pics of the progress.

grungeiceman
July 31st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Wow that paint job is thick, Im starting to think maybe not so a stain job? Im thing a one color finish would be easier becuase I have no idea how to get aholf of the proper stain, but who knows

Bloozcat
August 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Wow that paint job is thick, Im starting to think maybe not so a stain job? Im thing a one color finish would be easier becuase I have no idea how to get aholf of the proper stain, but who knows

Could be that this finish is polyester. If so, polyester is very hard to removed. It doesn't sand off easily, and usually requires some kind of HD paint remover and posssibly even a heat gun.

What color have you decided on for the new finish?

grungeiceman
August 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Finally got it sanded down evenly but decided to paint it hunter green instead of staining it just finished primeing it il post pics soon!

kiteman
August 6th, 2010, 06:06 AM
You have pics of the progress or will it be before and after shots?

grungeiceman
August 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Camera wasnt working so it will be before and after, I have afew questions though, I bought a gloss clear coat to use after the paint, should I have gotten a laquer? which would work best?

Bloozcat
August 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Camera wasnt working so it will be before and after, I have afew questions though, I bought a gloss clear coat to use after the paint, should I have gotten a laquer? which would work best?

You should use a clear finish that has the same base as the opaque paint. If it's urethane, go with clear urethane. Acryllic lacquer paint, acryllic lacquer clear, etc. You DON'T want to use clear nitro lacquer over a urethane, poly, or enamel.

What kind of paint is the hunter green?

grungeiceman
August 6th, 2010, 01:40 PM
its rustoleum painters touch and I cant find what the base is on the can but the gloss is acrylic

Bloozcat
August 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM
its rustoleum painters touch and I cant find what the base is on the can but the gloss is acrylic

The Forest Green Rustoleum Painter's Touch is an acrylic modified alkyd resin, so the acrylic clear you have will work.

Is the clear also Painter's Touch?

grungeiceman
August 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
It wasnt but I went out and got some now shes all painted and assembled!

kiteman
August 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
:worthless

:dance