PDA

View Full Version : Paying to have a song tabbed

exSP5Wintergreen
August 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM
Been thinking of hiring someone to tab a few live Leslie West songs for me. Has anyone ever done this? If so, can you recommend a vendor?

Katastrophe
August 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
I don't know of a vendor, but there should be tabs available for free on the interwebz.

Here are a few: http://www.guitarmasta.net/m/mountain/

Also, since you are new, this is a great opportunity to transcribe your own. Use your ear. It's great training, and will expand your vocabulary.

Here's a hint with Leslie's solo playing: Most of his solos are based off of the pentatonic scale, using primarily the first and third fingers.:dude

Kazz
August 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
most tabs I have seen online have been wrong.

R_of_G
August 1st, 2010, 05:20 PM
most tabs I have seen online have been wrong.

Same here, though I have periodically been able to use some of the wrong to help figure out what's right. That said, I wouldn't pay for tab unless I knew it was either right or I could have my money back if I wasn't satisfied.

vroomery
August 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah, the only tabs i would pay for are the ones in an actual book that the artist had to sign off on before it went to print. While there are some talented people out there, most of the tabs are made by mediocre musicians that will only lead you to frustration (or learning how to write tabs yourself so you can make them better). Hope you have a good time learning how to use your ear!

MichaelE
August 2nd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Same here, though I have periodically been able to use some of the wrong to help figure out what's right. That said, I wouldn't pay for tab unless I knew it was either right or I could have my money back if I wasn't satisfied.

Yep. I find that most tabs I've ever used will get me to the point that I can figure out what the correct notes are.

Very few complicated tabs are correct. For that matter, few few pieces of sheet music are correct either. I wonder if any of the sheet music published ever has to go past the artist for approval.