PDA

View Full Version : I can't be the only Parker player

Rockybluejazz
August 2nd, 2010, 12:37 AM
I did a forum search on Parker guitars and it came up blank. Who else plays one? I have a P series. A PM 24V. An extremely inexpensive professional quality ( except for the tremolo ) guitar. I think it's a tension thing. I'm looking into it. Heres http://www.jklutherie.com/parkerpm-24wvibratoblackinstrument.aspxlink a link to the specs. I found one on my local Craig's list and worked a swap. The Ebony fretboard is by far the best I have ever played. So is the action. and I think the neck joint is a work of art. The pups are a little glassie. So I may be swapping them out. I have read good things about SD'S Jazz pups So I may go that route. it's not a must at this point. Time will tell. BTW it has been discontinued. So that they can expand the Fly line to include a bolt on version. So there are deals to be had. I will post a pic when I can get it to work for me. Heres http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLLlCF5rZhY A you tube link.

LeadedEL84
August 2nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
I did a forum search on Parker guitars and it came up blank. Who else plays one? I have a P series. A PM 24V. An extremely inexpensive professional quality ( except for the tremolo ) guitar. I think it's a tension thing. I'm looking into it. Heres http://www.jklutherie.com/parkerpm-24wvibratoblackinstrument.aspxlink a link to the specs. I found one on my local Craig's list and worked a swap. The Ebony fretboard is by far the best I have ever played. So is the action. and I think the neck joint is a work of art. The pups are a little glassie. So I may be swapping them out. I have read good things about SD'S Jazz pups So I may go that route. it's not a must at this point. Time will tell. BTW it has been discontinued. So that they can expand the Fly line to include a bolt on version. So there are deals to be had. I will post a pic when I can get it to work for me. Heres http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLLlCF5rZhY A you tube link.

Checked out the links. I was really only familiar with their Fly/Nightfly designs. To me they always sound too neat and clean. Although the acoustic properties seem outstanding they just seem too sterile for me. I like that dirty Gibson and Fender sound too much. I like the traditional designs too. However, I was impressed with the you tube demo of the 24w (whatever model it was) you posted. It sounded great. I suppose if I was looking for something different and new it might be a good way to go. Parker certainly seems to have thoughtful and innovative design. They probably play like a dream. They do sound good and very versatile. I was surprised they are making models in the $500 -$700 range. The only Parkers I saw before were big bucks. I can see why you like yours. I suppose I would consider looking at a parker if I were starting from scratch and didn't have my current line up of Gibson-Fender-Dean. I don't think I could ever stomache the Fly line of guitars though. I just can't stand the way they look and am not crazy about the clean/sterile sound.

hubberjub
August 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM
My friend plays a P-44. It's a pretty nice guitar. I played some of the Fly line at a store a couple years ago and thought they were great. I still keep an eye out for an early Fly in the sub $1000 range.

Spudman
August 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
I'd be all over a Fly Deluxe if I could afford it. It's still the one guitar that I want to have. The Dimarzio pickups they come with can sound really good so I'm not sure where the 'sterile sound' concept is coming from. I've heard plenty of them that sound anything but sterile. I'm like Hubberjub, if I can find a great deal on one then I'm getting it.

hubberjub
August 2nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
I'd be all over a Fly Deluxe if I could afford it. It's still the one guitar that I want to have. The Dimarzio pickups they come with can sound really good so I'm not sure where the 'sterile sound' concept is coming from. I've heard plenty of them that sound anything but sterile. I'm like Hubberjub, if I can find a great deal on one then I'm getting it.

I'm with you on the DiMarzios too. I know that they started the Mojo line with the Seymour Duncan JB in it to deal with complaints about the original pickups. I have tried several time, but just can't bond with the JB. Everyone else seems to love it though.

LeadedEL84
August 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Keep in mind ,Spudman,that I formed my opinion of Parker guitars a long time ago. Not liking the looks of the fly body style and headstock, who I saw playing them and what amp they were playing through all went together to influence that. As a result I probably wrote them off too soon. My initial impression has probably made me overlook alot of what they have to offer. Finding this thread and checking out the youtube videos and demos has opened my eyes. It's like a new discovery for me. I was impressed with a few of the models I checked out. I was like "wow what's this?". Maybe the original pick up design or the fact that they were being played on the piezo settings made them sound sterile to me before. I really was impressed by the PM24V demo RBJ posted.

MAXIFUNK
August 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
A Mojo or Nite-Fly are both on my gas list but to be honest due to their price way near the bottom of the gas list!

sumitomo
August 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
A P-36 here,there OK nothing special,I like the piezo bridge,the neck is a toothpick,My 9 yr old plays it now.Sumi:D P.S. I guess I got a good deal on it 375.00 to the door new.

Rockybluejazz
August 4th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I was really trying to like the Flys. But I'm not a big hocky stick fan. Not to mention the price. For that price there are a lot of people that would make your dream guitar. And I understand the necks are even thinner then mine. What's funny is that the neck on my PM24V is very similer to the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe in over all shape. But much nicer. Speaking of necks. I played for about three hours last night. And noticed a very cool detail about the neck. It is very ergonomic in it's shape on both ends. the way the head stock and end of the fret board join together. It fits perfectly in your hand. The guitar has made me a better player. And has shown me my limmitations. As of the moment anyways. On the same token I am getting a lot more accurate in my playing. between this and the AC30VT I picked up today I'm in guitar heaven. I am going to swap out the stock pups. They are a little too hot for my style.

LeadedEL84
August 4th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I was really trying to like the Flys. But I'm not a big hocky stick fan. Not to mention the price. For that price there are a lot of people that would make your dream guitar. And I understand the necks are even thinner then mine. What's funny is that the neck on my PM24V is very similer to the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe in over all shape. But much nicer. Speaking of necks. I played for about three hours last night. And noticed a very cool detail about the neck. It is very ergonomic in it's shape on both ends. the way the head stock and end of the fret board join together. It fits perfectly in your hand. The guitar has made me a better player. And has shown me my limmitations. As of the moment anyways. On the same token I am getting a lot more accurate in my playing. between this and the AC30VT I picked up today I'm in guitar heaven. I am going to swap out the stock pups. They are a little too hot for my style.
LOL. Hockey stick! That's funny. That is the way I see them too. I gotta say though I was impressed with the demo you posted of the PM24V.
My Les Paul and Dean EVO both have fat 59 style necks. It took some getting used to for me.I like them now. My Strat which I was used to playing before I got the Dean and Gibson has the modern C neck profile. I always liked that. I've tried the new Gibson asymetric neck profiles and didn't really like them. They are supposed to be ergonomic and reduce hand fatigue. Maybe it takes some getting used to but it didn't seem to work for me. I've played some guitars with skinny neck profiles. They were fast but my hand got tired quick!