PDA

View Full Version : Video editing software

LeadedEL84
August 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Anyone know of any freeware or shareware that I could download for simple video editing? I want to do some sound samples/demos to send someone showing amp settings. I'm not looking for a pro set up with all the bells and whistles. Although I'd like to have that,I just need something simple to edit video length. It would be cool if I could take only relevent pieces of video and assemble them in the order I want. At a minimum I need the capability to edit short videos to get under the 25mb email limit. That is somewhere between 20-30 seconds of video with the resolution settings I am using. If I could edit out the dead space from the videos (ie:the time it takes between turning on the camera and playing and the time after I stop playing and turn off the camera)it would give me enough room to get the relevant info recorded. Even compressing with a zip file it doesn't give you much time before hitting the 25 mb limit.
As it stands I have no way to edit video at all. I can only download to the PC and play it or burn it on CDR or DVD. I would like to be able to edit for youtube as well. I would like to put something on youtube at some point but don't really want to upload raw video with dead spots.
I would buy some software for this purpose eventually but if there was any free software out there I could download and use right away that would be helpful. I'm always reluctant to download free software for fear of spyware and things like that. So if you know of any spyware free place to get some video editing software I would appreciate the info.

Edit: I am running windows 7 home premium on my laptop with 2.1 GHZ proc, 2GB RAM,and 250 GB HDD with at least 2/3 free space left. I can usually run XP compatible software without trouble. It does give me the option to run Win7 in XP mode or even install and run individual programs with XP compatability mode but I haven't had to try it yet.

LeadedEL84
August 4th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Nevermind. I have Windows Movie Maker. It does the job.
I downloaded it from Microsoft and was halfway through the installation when I realized I already had it with my Office program. I never use Office and had no idea Movie Maker came with it.
Ya know, I like the extra security features of windows 7 but there are some things about it that are a pain. Number one they moved things around and renamed them. It's really blind compared to XP too. It likes to bury and hide things where I can't see them the way I could in XP. Also it likes to sometimes change settings on things for no apparent reason. The other night I was checking email and my print got really small. I'm talking microscopicly small. I went to change back the settings on Internet explorer and couldn't find where to do it. Then I noticed all my icons and and print inside windows was small too. So I reset it from 125% to 150% and everything got huge,. So then I reset it back to 125% and everytthing in windows and explorer were normal again. I don't get it. Maybe I need to find a copy of win7 for dummies... or kick Bill gates square in the *** and tell him to quit screwing with windows.