PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul Studio

Kazz
August 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Even through a Vox AD30VT the Les Paul Studio sounds like heaven with strings.

I know.....I know......pictures or it didnt happen......soon I promise....but for now....she is a 2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio.....blue metallic top with black back and sides, uncovered buckers not sure of the combination I took them out and looked when I changed strings tonight but all they say is Gibson USA on the back of them.

Now if that Strat and Epi Valve Jr would show up before the weekend, I could have a whole lot of fun :-)

hubberjub
August 4th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Congrats my friend.

Kazz
August 5th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks Patrick.

Eric
August 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Cool beans! Yeah, get some pictures up here. Congratulations!

Tig
August 5th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Pictures in 10, 9, 8...

I played a wine red Studio yesterday, and man that was a sweet guitar. GAS pains are wicked!

Katastrophe
August 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM
So, I take it this is a new guitar?

Congrats!

@ Tig: Where did ya play the Studio?

ZMAN
August 5th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I would say that those pickups are not stock. I am pretty sure unless it is a "limited edition" that they every came with uncovered pickups. They have had the 490, 498 combo since inception. Only recently have the faded studios come with the Burst buckers.
I will do some digging and see if they had a special edition in blue in 2002.
Update: Well after a quick look there were several limited editons in various shades of blue using the open coil pickups. Not sure what series they were.
If you check the impedence, the 490/498 set are areond 7.5 neck and 13.5 bridge. They would be an excellent pickup set. I love that combo.

Tig
August 5th, 2010, 01:55 PM
@ Tig: Where did ya play the Studio?

At the local GC. Went looking for the new Fender Super Sonic 22, but no one has 'em yet.

Kazz
August 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM
So, I take it this is a new guitar?

New to me, it is a 2002. I have had it for about 2 weeks now I guess. As soon as the new Strat and Epi Valve Jr that I bought from MrMudcat arrive I will get pictures of both the new ladies and the new amp/cabinet setup as well.

The kid I bought the Les Paul from said something about it being a limited edition and that only so many were made in this particular color/style.

I thought there would be more markings or numbers or something on the back of the pickups to indicate which set they were, but I think they are 490/498's They sound awesome but not quite as dark as the burstbuckers in the faded series as well as the all Mahogany Studio that was out before they started calling them faded.

It has its share of character marks ie a couple of dents and a pretty good nick in the back of the neck, it is obvious that the kid did not take very good care of it....but all that changes now :-) I spent about an hour cleaning it up when I first brought it home and then when I changed strings last night I really went over it with a fine tooth comb. Too bad I did not think then to measure the impedance of the pups.

I forget which model I was playing on last night, but I think it was the UK 80's with a touch of delay and man was it just awesome.

guitartango
August 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Pictures in 10, 9, 8...

I played a wine red Studio yesterday, and man that was a sweet guitar. GAS pains are wicked!

Mine is about 20yrs old and recently had a proper setup. Plays like a dream.

ZMAN
August 6th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I recently traded my 2008 Studio in Fireburst for a 2008 Marshall DSL100. The amp was worth 1799 new and I paid 1099 new for the Studio. A no brainer for me. I do miss the studio, and I will probably replace it down the road. I have a good friend that has an 89 in Wine red and he is bringing it down to me to keep for a few months. I have tried to get this one from him for years but he won't sell. It is the older non chambered body and is probably one of the best sounding Pauls I have ever heard.
Maybe this time I can make a deal.
Oh yea, is the new guitar chambered, or weight relieved?
And Pictures are mandatory.

hubberjub
August 6th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Pics now!

Tig
August 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
The Fireburst Studios are major GAS factories...
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionlarge/Gibson/638448.jpg
http://www.rockpalace.com/gfx_productcode/97665/2/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Fireburst.jpghttp://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/macaronisk8er/DSC_0097.jpg

DeanEVO_Dude
August 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Wow, thatsa a spicee a meetballa!

Sweet axe!

ZMAN
August 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Sure go ahead and rub it in. Mine was the gold hardware and it was perfect.
I had a woody for the marshall and I let it go.
Here is an interesting pic.
One is called Fireburst the the other 3 color sunburst? I hve traded both of these since the picture was taken.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/VerySimilarBursts.jpg

Brian Krashpad
August 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Congrats Kazz. And I'd also guess that the pickups are 490/498. That's what's in my '97 LP Studio DC and most Studios except some from the last few years.

And... pics!

Monkus
August 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
congrats Kazz !!!! 7....6....5....

Kazz
August 10th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Pictures posted in the New Guitar, Amp and Cab thread.

NWBasser
September 3rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Yep, I made the serious mistake of grabbing one to try out a Tweaker recently at GC.

It felt like home, sort of like settling into my comfy recliner. Sounded like heaven. I've never heard better than that Studion through the Tweaker.

I won't be able to afford one for a good long while though...:cry:

Tig
September 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Yep, I made the serious mistake of grabbing one to try out a Tweaker recently at GC.

It felt like home, sort of like settling into my comfy recliner. Sounded like heaven. I've never heard better than that Studion through the Tweaker.

I won't be able to afford one for a good long while though...:cry:

I feel the same. I've been taking my time to decide on a LP style double humbucker, partly out of not having the funds, and partly because I want to get it right the first time by getting something that sounds great.

Maybe that is why I haven't gotten an Agile LP (even though I like what I see), hoping to instead get a Gibson Studio.

ZMAN
September 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
I feel the same. I've been taking my time to decide on a LP style double humbucker, partly out of not having the funds, and partly because I want to get it right the first time by getting something that sounds great.

Maybe that is why I haven't gotten an Agile LP (even though I like what I see), hoping to instead get a Gibson Studio.

I recently did a clean up and detail on my buddies SUV before he returned it off lease. It was a mess. I was able to clean it up and he just got his letter that there were no excess wear charges. I told him that the only payment was to loan me his 1989 Studio in Wine red for a couple of months. He turned up at my house with it and the hard cover edition of Claptons memoirs.
I have always loved this guitar and I WILL buy it from him some day. I always loved the tone of this guitar. It is a solid body with no chambering full inlays and the ebony board. It has the 490/498 combo pickups. I don't know if it is the combination of the body and the board but it just sounds really good.
Before I aquired my LPs it was the only one I had really played. Now after owning the Gold top and the Standard as well as my 2008 Studio, I can say that is is probably "one" of my favourites. I really like my Standard and I love my modded GT. But this guitar sounds and plays really amazing.
If you get the chance I would NOT pass up the opportunity to buy a really nicely kept Studio. And I would not care if it was solid or chambered, they are both excellent. The solid would be a little heavy for a long gig but what the hell it is an LP.
Sorry guys but the Agile looks great but I think Gibson nailed it with the Studios.

MAXIFUNK
September 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
I would really like to get another LP one I don't mind carrying around.
I don't want to risk any damage to my 1992 Classic Plus I.E. dropped or stolen etc.

I saw this on line and was like WOW this looks rather nice just have not test drove it yet. I prefer the slim 60's neck and this has it and it appears to be great eye candy as well. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Silverburst-Electric-Guitar?sku=582657
or this one
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=583405

MAXIFUNK
September 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
This looks like a very nice guitar and has a very good price

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar?sku=430789

6stringdrug
September 3rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have owned 3 different Gibbie LP studios, 97, 06, 09 studio deluxe. The deluxe was my favorite, not because of tone (that was the 97), it was the neck. I love the 60's profile, i have little chunky hands and that profile fits me better. Currently (and there may be another I dont know about) it is the only studio with that profile. Recently had to sell it cuz electricity and food seemed a bit more important that month. Now I have some $ again and called the guy asking to buy it back and he went and sold it on ebay cuz he didnt like the neck!!! arrrrrrgh! I have 3 epi LPs and they all have that 60s profile. I upgrade the pickups and pots and its pretty hard to hear the difference. They don't have the stage presence of a gibbie but they rock nonetheless.

I will be buying another gibbie deluxe after christmas, because even though the epis are nice, they are not the prime rib that gibson is, more like a nice sirloin!!!:pancake

ZMAN
September 4th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I would really like to get another LP one I don't mind carrying around.
I don't want to risk any damage to my 1992 Classic Plus I.E. dropped or stolen etc.

I saw this on line and was like WOW this looks rather nice just have not test drove it yet. I prefer the slim 60's neck and this has it and it appears to be great eye candy as well. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Silverburst-Electric-Guitar?sku=582657
or this one
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=583405
Oh no a Heritage Cherry Studio. This must be a special edition for GC. Or something totally new from Gibson. Open coils with BB2 in the bridge.
Just when I though I had no gas for another guitar.
I already have the Vintage burst in a 96 Standard. And I am not a fan of the Siver burst at all. Worth a call to my local guy to see if they can get one.

ZMAN
September 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM
This looks like a very nice guitar and has a very good price

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar?sku=430789
There is a thread on these over at the Les Paul Forum. It has 12 pages. It is a very well received guitar and quite a bargain. Hard to get one though because guys are buying 2 and 3 at a time. They are multi piece bodies, but they also come in a Gold Top which seems to be a hot seller as well as the Honey burst. If you can track one down they are a super bargain.
One thought a guy had was maybe a good used Studio at around the same price would be a better guitar. They have the faux binding where they leave the maple cap unstained, with laquer over it. A nice touch.
You have to like P90s though. They come with a thicker neck.

oldguy
September 4th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I used to own a LP Custom. Never had a Studio. I think if I ever make the jump from my Agile to another Gibson it will be an R9 re-issue. The other LP's are nice, but I like the appointments and small details as close as humanly possible to an original '59 Burst. The problem is finding a place that can afford to carry more than one to try out, 'cause they ain't all the same, and they ain't cheap.............

ZMAN
September 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Man I just saw a really cool Studio on a local buy/sell site. Studio plus with a beautiful book matched top and gold hardware in Wine Red. Ebony Board and can be had for just over 800. Mint, Mint conditon.
I am really tempted. This one has the big ol 10lb body though. Not sure if I want that. I have really come to like the chambered bodies.

NWBasser
September 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Tig, the Agile is a very nice guitar for the price and looks stunning.

That said, while the Studio is much plainer in appearance, the sound and feel are much better. The Studio is a real player's guitar and I think it's well worth the price. I have kind of big hands and the neck profile fits me quite well. The action on the one I tried was very low and I found it to be incredibly easy to play. It was one of those instruments that inspired me to play beyond my abilities.

Keep in mind that I generally put tone and feel above appearances.