PDA

View Full Version : Fender Blacktops

MAXIFUNK
August 5th, 2010, 01:42 AM
FENDER is about to release a new MIM line for around $450.00 to $499.00 USD.

Double hum-bucklers Strats, Tele, Jag, & Jazzmaster!
DID not want to post a link to another forum did not think that was a cool thing to do. Anyway the buzz is starting to float around the net.

I saw what Fender sent to the people where I have bought a lot of gear from they all looked cool to me. WONDERING HOW THEY'LL SOUND?

The tele look the best to me but the 5 way switch setup on the strat was the most versatile. GOT DAMN GAS BUBBLING UP TO THE SURFACE AGAIN!

Katastrophe
August 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Way cool. I'm diggin' the doublebucker Tele and Strat. I read where they are using Duncan Designed pups (maybe???). If so, they should sound good, too!

And, it's okay to post a link, so others can see. I think there are members here who are members at the other place, too.

Eric
August 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I like the switch-less jaguar. What are all of those switches usually used for? I'm too lazy to look it up right now, and I doubt I'd understand all of it anyway.

Rockybluejazz
September 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm thinking Jag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctX-0bpUmvU It would go nicely with my Legacy.

Tig
October 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Played a Tele and a Jaguar Blacktop today. The Jag just didn't feel right to me, especially the neck. It sounded OK, but nothing that grabbed me.
The Tele's neck was better, even though the fret ends needed to be filed down. It sounded almost the same as the Jag, as you might expect. For the money, they are just OK. I think the Squier CV's are higher quality, according to my hands and eyes, but the pickup configuration makes then too different to compare tones.

Edit: The jag's rosewood fingerboard is what felt wrong. Fretting notes and bending felt akward to my fingertips. Not sure why. YMMV

______

Then, I made a mistake as I was leaving... The local shop has 4 PRS 25th Anniversary SE Custom 24's on sale at $450! That's $200 less than any online price. So, I played one. Dang, everything felt right. Its looks are stunning, and it sounded much better than the Blacktops. Ack!

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Agile AL-3000 Thru-neck ($625+shipping), but now, I just don't know!
Life is good when you have these kinds of problems! If any Agile owners want to talk me out of this, feel free. :thwap

It looks very close to this...
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/SEC24SR25LTD/K11461/K11461-front-l.jpg

Or?
http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al3000mwidethrutobaccoburst1.jpghttp://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al3000mwidethrutobaccoburst5.jpg

Katastrophe
October 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Tig, where did you play the Blacktops at? GC?

I've never played an Agile, so I can't comment on their fit n' finish, except that every member that owns one, likes it.

I will say, however, that I am a big fan of the PRS SE series. I've not yet picked up any that had any QC issues, and the necks are awesome. They are well made and sound great.

Hey... I know, GET BOTH!:drool: :beer: :D :socool

Duffy
October 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Tig, I played the blue quilted version of the one you are looking at (PRS) and it was definitely a cool little guitar. I was not "overwhelmed" by it like some are, but I played it for a while and liked it and then played the PRS inexpensive one with the P90 or 90's, which I didn't like as much, by far.

Plus you are getting the PRS at a real good price. So there is "value added" with the PRS. But you have to get what you want.

Another thing is that 600+ for the Agile is a lot of money, almost the 799 I spent on my Epi Tribute.

Don't get me wrong. The Agile is going to be probably an incredible guitar if it's anything like my new AL 3100 top and bottom bound cherry burst flammed maple one I just got. My new Agile sounds super great stock. I really like the pickups. I got it on sale for 299 and it plays along side my Epi Tribute without cringing. It is a beautiful, well made and appointed guitar, and is now one of my favorite guitars. It sounds incredible and sits right here by me, plugged in. I played it extensively during the night last night thru my Tweaker and Epi So. Cal. four by twelve cab at low volume and it sounded so good; I mean really good. I was playing some relaxing music for my fiance, Charity and kept dozing off myself, including playing in my sleep. Playing in the dark definitely has helped my ear and my fretting. That baby was sounding really great with some bad monkey overdrive and a little outboard reverb.

Thing is, you are probably always going to be able to get the Agile, although that particular color I don't remember seeing, and it's a particularly beautiful Agile, a plain top if I remember correctly. Very nice looking. Nonetheless, it will probably be available for some time and maybe even on sale like I got mine.

The PRS may not be available at that price again. Those are a limitted run aren't they?

Sounds like the PRS might make a lot of sense if it reached out to you big time.

You can always get an Agile, and the model I have is totally awesome. You might want to get the PRS and also get the top and bottom bound Agile AL 3100 as well. Not to discourage you, but the neck thru design has its plusses and minuses, from what I've read. Wings can break off, etc. Plus a well made "set" neck is supposed to have just as much sustain as a neck thru - plus the neck on the set neck is mahogany, not a laminate of woods like on the neck thru.

I guarantee you that my double bound body Agile would blow your mind for value and performance. Very nice "chunky" neck which I think contributes to the full tone.

Think about it man; a chance to get a good PRS at a real great price and also get a real good Agile . . . . . Sound tempting?

Good luck with your paradox. Sounds like you need the PRS.

Eric
October 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I agree that the PRS is a good deal at that price, but honestly, I can't vote against the Agile. I haven't played many/any PRS SE's, but the Agile has outplayed and out-toned (is that a word?) most other guitars I've owned or played.

My advice: try out the PRS again and see if you really like the tone. Compare it to some of your other guitars -- I've heard the tone on those can leave you wanting occasionally. If it fits the bill, I guess you should get it. But Agile is still pretty much the bomb.

FrankenFretter
October 8th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Tough call, Doug. As an Agile owner, I have to say that it's probably one of the best bang for the buck guitars out there, and once you're into the 3x00 series, the craftsmanship and parts make it money very well spent. But that PRS is a really good deal, and if you bonded with it, I'd say get it while you can. The Agiles will still be around the next time you have GAS money!

Duffy
October 8th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I'm about to play my Agile AL 3100 thru my Tweaker right now for some late night groovin'. No substitute for that great Agile tone.

But then again, if I had a special edition PRS . . .

Tig
October 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks, guys. Still a hard decision! There are 4 PRS's at the local shop, all tremolo versions. It is an independent shop I've bought a bass, Squier CV Strat, and the A&L acoustic from. He has 2 blue, one yellow, and one red PRS to choose from. I played the red one through a Fender Blues Jr, and if felt effortless. The tone wasn't the best I've heard, but I can see putting in some nice Seymour Duncan's with the money saved. I'm not sold on the super Strat shape, 25" scale and the tremolo, but it is mahogany with a maple top.

Ah, but now there's an unused Agile 3100 flamed root beer w/case up on eBay! I'm guessing the sale price and shipping will still be a great deal compared to Rondo's already great deal.
Here's a thought on 3x00 Agiles... With the exception of their very top versions (with Graph Tech RESOMAX NVS Harmonic Bridge with 6mm Posts and String Saver Saddles and matching tail piece), the standard ones need a new bridge from what the majority of the Agile forum owners say. That's a $50-$90 upgrade. While I sure don't have to have the neck-thru, it is nice.

Bottom line, I'm in the hunt for one double humbucker mahogany guitar, preferably an LP style that I need to last me for a long time. No matter which choice I make, it will be a win.

eBay...
http://i.ebayimg.com/21/!B4),cWQCGk~$(KGrHqN,!jMEybfQdIM)BMrI+UcSow~~_3.JP G

Eric
October 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Bottom line, I'm in the hunt for one double humbucker mahogany guitar, preferably an LP style that I need to last me for a long time. No matter which choice I make, it will be a win.
Then get an Agile. Seriously.

FrankenFretter
October 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks, guys. Still a hard decision! There are 4 PRS's at the local shop, all tremolo versions. It is an independent shop I've bought a bass, Squier CV Strat, and the A&L acoustic from. He has 2 blue, one yellow, and one red PRS to choose from. I played the red one through a Fender Blues Jr, and if felt effortless. The tone wasn't the best I've heard, but I can see putting in some nice Seymour Duncan's with the money saved. I'm not sold on the super Strat shape, 25" scale and the tremolo, but it is mahogany with a maple top.

Ah, but now there's an unused Agile 3100 flamed root beer w/case up on eBay! I'm guessing the sale price and shipping will still be a great deal compared to Rondo's already great deal.
Here's a thought on 3x00 Agiles... With the exception of their very top versions (with Graph Tech RESOMAX NVS Harmonic Bridge with 6mm Posts and String Saver Saddles and matching tail piece), the standard ones need a new bridge from what the majority of the Agile forum owners say. That's a $50-$90 upgrade. While I sure don't have to have the neck-thru, it is nice.

eBay...
http://i.ebayimg.com/21/!B4),cWQCGk~$(KGrHqN,!jMEybfQdIM)BMrI+UcSow~~_3.JP G

Doug, I know you hang out at the Agile forum, too. You may have seen one of the members post about a Gotoh bridge from Stew-Mac for $21.75. They're supposed to be a huge improvement. There are reviews of the bridge on the Stew-Mac sit (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.html?tab=Pictures#details)e, and at least a couple of Agile owners that rave about that bridge.

Just FYI.

I just made a trade with a guy from the Agile forum for an Epi bridge and tailpiece, which will likely go on my AL3K, although I don't seem to get the clicking that other people have talked about.

Btw, I love the Rootbeer Flame Agiles. Those are real beauties!

Hey, what was this thread about again? ;-)

Duffy
October 8th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Nice root beer Agile.

A brand new Epi SG Faded cherry reigned me in today when I was checking over a Vox AD60VTX amp I was going to buy, NOS, for 200 dollars. I didn't need a hybrid modeling amp anyway.

The SG will compliment my guitar collection as well as my Epi copy of a '66 Gibson SG Standard I own in trans cherry gloss.

This Faded Epi SG feels, plays, and looks nicer than my Gibson Faded SG that was stolen from me. I definitely prefer the chrome covered pickups and they sound real good as well. I'm having fun with this SG bad boy - great snarling bridge and smooth neck tones reach deep into my soul.

I was flexible and rolled with the flow when that guitar I was testing out the amp with picked me to be its owner. Now to take good care of it and play it extensively. I'm going to play myself to sleep tonight thru my recently moded by Jim P, Blackheart Little Giant head into my Epi V Jr. one by twelve cab.

Good luck with the purchase Tig.

sunvalleylaw
October 8th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Ok guys, the Agiles are cool. I have wanted one for a while. But I want someone to go get one of these Fenders! I have heard some good things on other forums about the tele particularly, and I am very curious about the strat. Someone go get one!

Katastrophe
October 8th, 2010, 10:41 PM
rMu_5vmeIXg

Here's the Strat in action.

OhpQErI684I

And the Telecaster...

ctX-0bpUmvU

The Jaguar... I've never been a fan of the shape, but I'm digging this one!

Fm3kE_jBw2E

The Jazzmaster... Digging the Jazzmaster single coil in the neck on this one.

Don't work for this music store... They were the best sounding demos I could find.

Tig
October 8th, 2010, 10:53 PM
A brand new Epi SG Faded cherry reigned me in today
I was flexible and rolled with the flow when that guitar I was testing out the amp with picked me to be its owner. Now to take good care of it and play it extensively. I'm going to play myself to sleep tonight thru my recently moded by Jim P, Blackheart Little Giant head into my Epi V Jr. one by twelve cab.

Happy New Guitar Day!
:worthless
(You knew that was coming)

Funny how the cheap little Epi V Jr 1x12 cab sounds like something several times the price. I use mine on the Tweaker and they make sweet music (well, even with me playing) together.

My guitar decision got harder with the entry of the Washburn Idol WI66Pro into the frey (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=187628#post187628). Life's a bee-otch!

http://i.ebayimg.com/22/%21By8WGZg%212k%7E$%28KGrHqEOKiMEwO%29%21PwBfBMT0u yKe%29Q%7E%7E_12.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/16/%21By8e1VgCGk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKm4Ew980kid2BMT1L2T7wg% 7E%7E_12.JPG

Katastrophe
October 8th, 2010, 10:59 PM
It's a good problem to have, Tig. GAS just makes instrument selection that much more fun!

Duffy
October 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I like the black strat blacktop (BT). I played the Jaguar the other day. Definitely nice guitar, especially for the price.

They had a Jazzmaster that really caught my eye, a black one: bridge humbucker, neck P90. This looks WAY better in person than in the pictures.

I wanted to play that bad looking boy; however, the switch or neck pickup is bad and I didn't bother to play it since the P90 was out of play. Today when my new Epi Faded SG picked me out as its owner, it was still not on the floor. I will go back soon and see if it is fixed because I definitely want to play that bad looking puppy. I like the small headstock better than the Jaguar. I was not particularly taken by the Jaguar.

The light blue strat definitely gets my attention, without a doubt. This is a very laid back looking guitar, very demure - possibly a sleeper capable of some hot rockin'. The teles look good too, especially the black and grey, to me.

They are selling them fast. The strats and teles are gone, only the Jag is left in workable condition, then the Jazzmaster, which will probably disappear forthrightly if it gets fixed anytime soon.

We have an active jazz and blues community around this here rural area that is organized and promoted by the "Billtown Blues Society", a local group. Jazz dudes show up in the stores every so often and generally look like they have money and I see them buying multiple items, big ticket items like PA systems and speakers and old school looking Ampeg amps, things like that.

I have one of the old Squier's in trans red with the two point tremolo and chrome covered Duncan Designed dual humbuckers. This is a very neat guitar and one I prize highly - quite similar in design to the Fender blacktop strat in many ways. Charity plays the Squier a lot. It has great tone.

Why don't you buy one "Sun" to keep company with your other strat. Definitely won't lose any value I don't suppose. Which is irrevelant because you probably would never sell it anyway. Can you imagine how that would sound on a high gain rig with some tremolo thrown in? Just the idea sounds good . . . Guitars are like dogs - they need company of their own kind in order to keep things in perspective.

I got permission from Charity today though before I bought home the guitar, but the original plan was to be reigning in a new old stock Vox AD60VTX for 200 dollars - brand new. I rolled with it and went with the SG that reached deep down into my soul. She thinks the SG looks great in the dull cherry finish. It is a good looking, feeling, and playing guitar.

MAXIFUNK
October 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I am getting one of these as soon as I sell my FMT HH Tele.
The guitar recieved rave reviews from my guys where I bought most of Guitars.
Metal Heads Rejoice!!!

47KuFlE2g4Y
Xy1aH-ekyp8&NR=1

Tig
October 11th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Wow, I learned something good about the Strat Blacktop from the top video. The 5-way switch makes it the clear choice above the other 3-way Blacktops.

Position 1. Full Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Two Inside Single Coils
Position 3. Both Full Humbucking Pickups
Position 4. Outer Neck Single Coil
Position 5. Full Neck Pickup

Still, be sure to demo one before buying, as the quality may or may not be questionable.

oldguy
October 12th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Maxi,
I played the Strat, Sat. at a local music store. The playability was very good, fret ends nicely finished, good action. The only thing I didn't care for were the pickups in single coil mode. They didn't sound much different to my ears, just less volume. None of that single coil bite and edge I expected.......just not as loud. Humbucker mode kicked butt, but I have plenty of humbucker guitars, so I passed. Nice guitar, tho.

marnold
October 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM
The only thing I didn't care for were the pickups in single coil mode. They didn't sound much different to my ears, just less volume. None of that single coil bite and edge I expected.......just not as loud.
When I've tried coil tapping/shunting that's also been my observation. I've found that running the coils in parallel instead of series does a better (although still not perfect) single coil impersonation AND it remains hum-canceling.

Eric
October 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM
When I've tried coil tapping/shunting that's also been my observation. I've found that running the coils in parallel instead of series does a better (although still not perfect) single coil impersonation AND it remains hum-canceling.
Same here. I enjoy the fact that my Godin has coil splitting in positions 2 and 4, but the split of the neck pickup is just a lower-output version of the neck with some buzz added in. The split bridge pup does sound remarkably tele-ish, however.

I've never tried ones in parallel. It runs both HBs in parallel?

MAXIFUNK
October 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Maxi,
I played the Strat, Sat. at a local music store. The playability was very good, fret ends nicely finished, good action. The only thing I didn't care for were the pickups in single coil mode. They didn't sound much different to my ears, just less volume. None of that single coil bite and edge I expected.......just not as loud. Humbucker mode kicked butt, but I have plenty of humbucker guitars, so I passed. Nice guitar, tho.

Thanks, OG I have 2 humbuckers guitars and one I never really bonded with
my Tele FMT HH coil tap neck thru 15.75 Radius and just never seem to mesh.
So, My plan is to sell it get a Blacktop thus I would have HH axe I could take anywhere without any worries and size neck and radius I am very comfortable with. Because my LP is not going to be leaving the house except for an occasional practice from time to time.

My 1st choice prior to this guitar being released was the Ibanez Dark Stone
DN500 http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-DN500K
The problem with this guitar no one and I mean no one seems to have one in stock to test drive. So, the blacktop may win out lack of competition.

I also have come across DBZ LP style guitars that look great on the internet but have yet even try to see how the fit & feels works for me.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/4752/DBZ-Guitars-Bolero-Premier-FM-Vintage-Natural/
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6315/DBZ-Bolero-QM-Siberian-Quilt/

The Blacktop is cheaper by $150.00 to the Ibanez and $250.00 to the DBZ so it seems to be a no brainier to get the blacktop Strat then either Ibanez or DBZ at some latter date.

marnold
October 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I've never tried ones in parallel. It runs both HBs in parallel?
AFAIK on the Blacktops it uses coil tapping/shunting. I only did it on a guitar I had. I haven't done that with my guitar. Not sure if I will but it sounds like an interesting experiment. The problem is that with coil shunting you can use one switch to do both pickups. Series/parallel is a bit more complicated so you will need a DPDT switch for each pickup.