PDA

View Full Version : Salami

Zip
August 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Here's a quote from Neal Schon (honest..):

“Wes Montgomery used to say in interviews that he liked playing after eating a salami sandwich because the grease acted like Finger-Ease, and that that was one way he got such a smooth sound with his thumb and fretting fingers. I swear to God, every time I get a new guitar now, I take the strings off, get some sliced salami, and rub it up and down the fretboard, and let the grease soak in. Then I wipe off the neck and string it up. With new wood, it works really well."

Thoughts?

Heywood Jablomie
August 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
What kind of mustard should you use?

Kazz
August 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM
What kind of mustard should you use?

Stone Ground of course.

DeanEVO_Dude
August 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
White or whole wheat?

kiteman
August 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM
White or whole wheat?

Rye. :)

ZMAN
August 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I guess it would make playing with your teeth like Jimi, and SRV a lot more tasty!

Katastrophe
August 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Well, if Danny Gatton can wipe his strings down with a mixture of cigarette ashes and beer, I guess salami can work, too.

I'd be afraid that using a food product like that could cause some long term damage.

I wonder if any particular brand has more mojo than another.

Commodore 64
August 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I like to play the guitar after I've played a round of "Hide the Salami" with the wife. Does that count?

ZMAN
August 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I like to play the guitar after I've played a round of "Hide the Salami" with the wife. Does that count?

Does that soften your attack on the strings?

syo
August 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hmm... So wurst really is best?

Zip
August 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Wow, this is a tough room. More standups than Vaudville.

Back in the the days before FastFret, I've used chicken fat on maple boards to combat stage sweat. Made the strings smell interesting, too. :hungry

Heywood Jablomie
August 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Wow, this is a tough room. More standups than Vaudville.

Back in the the days before FastFret, I've used chicken fat on maple boards to combat stage sweat. Made the strings smell interesting, too. :hungry
I'm assuming your style is kinda schmaltzy.

DrumBob
August 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
I have a friend who uses olive oil on his fretboards. Neal Schon can rub salami all over his necks if he wants to, but I won't. Try stuff call Fiddle Brite. It's made for violin necks. Works great.

FrankenFretter
August 23rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Why does this thread make me think of George Costanza?

sumitomo
August 24th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Come on guys I love playing guitar too! but I not going to rub my salami on it,that's alittle much.Sumi:D

otaypanky
August 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I use mineral oil. I keep an old contact lens wetting solution container filled with it. A drop or two in the palm rubbed down the back of the neck and up and down the strings and I'm good to go. It's also great for cleaning the strings after playing and preventing corrosion. Whenever I change strings on a rosewood or ebony fingerboard guitar I treat it with the mineral oil too.

poodlesrule
August 24th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I use mineral oil. I keep an old contact lens wetting solution container filled with it. A drop or two in the palm rubbed down the back of the neck and up and down the strings and I'm good to go.

I hope you do this with all your guitars, in turn... otherwise the ones left behind would feel cheated...:french

At least it is more PG13 material than the salami idea.

otaypanky
August 24th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Yup, I do, I just don't oil down the maple fretboards, only a drop on the back.
Besides, salami doesn't stand a chance of not being eaten around here ~

sumitomo
August 25th, 2010, 07:33 AM
:what Sumi:D

Monkus
August 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
this is why y'all cant get rid of me !!!

xTheUnforgiven93
August 31st, 2010, 11:17 AM
Salami-ing up your guitar...
Looks like fun, but I think I'll pass before I get carried away and start trying to use various other sandwich fillers and meat products.
I'm seriously craving salami now...

Spudman
August 31st, 2010, 12:42 PM
I just run my left hand through what's left of my hair when the neck starts getting sticky. There is enough natural body oil there to make things feel just right.

NWBasser
September 3rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Chicken works too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJ1g18fmwg

Maybe salami's better for guitar and fried chicken works best for bass.:hungry