PDA

View Full Version : Dude gets downright twangy on an Epi Les Paul Ultra II

Katastrophe
August 6th, 2010, 04:26 PM
PI3At9jy4ro

Great home vid. I don't know the guy, but he plays well and gets a very un-LP tone using an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II and a Epi Blues Custom amph.

Pretty cool, huh?

LeadedEL84
August 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Do the Ultra IIs have coil splitting? I'm thinking he's using a really nice compressor and coil splitting to get that sound. If I was only listening and not watching I would have thought he was playing a Tele. He's got that Nashville sound going on for sure.

bcdon
August 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Do the Ultra IIs have coil splitting? I'm thinking he's using a really nice compressor and coil splitting to get that sound. If I was only listening and not watching I would have thought he was playing a Tele. He's got that Nashville sound going on for sure.

No. I have an Ultra II and they have a 3rd pup "Nanomag" that is supposed to give you more of an acoustic sound. After watching this video, I think my guitar is broken because I've never been able to play it like that! :)

Eric
August 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Pretty interesting vid. I thought his head wiggle at the beginning with the harmonics was funny. I'll admit, that's not a tone I usually associate with LPs.

hubberjub
August 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
A LOT of compression.

riverrick
August 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Very nice:applause :applause :thumbsup

jpfeifer
August 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
You don't see too many people doing the twangy sort of playing on a Les Paul, but he proves that you can still use that type of guitar for this kind of playing (so long as you use a lot of compression :-) It sounds really nice. I've always thought that Les Pauls (and 335's) have a great clean tone, even though you hear more people using the for their heavier distorted sounds (especially Les Pauls)

Eric
August 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I've always thought that Les Pauls (and 335's) have a great clean tone, even though you hear more people using the for their heavier distorted sounds (especially Les Pauls)
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I find that a lot of electric guitars have a more brittle, twangy clean tone that doesn't sit quite right with me, but Les Pauls have this warm, smooth clean tone that I love.

jpfeifer
August 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
One of my favorite guitar tones is the clean sound of a 335. It's perfect for so many styles, and the guitar responds very nicely when you dig in with a pick. I've played some Les Pauls that have that sound too. One day I will get some version of a 335 (339 or 336), or a JohnnyA model if I have more money to spend :-)

--Jim

Tig
August 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM
These Epi Les Paul II's are super versitile and the one's I've demo'ed were built really well. I saw Nancy Wilson playing a few songs with hers last year.
If (God forbid) you had only one guitar to fit several tones and musical styles, this would be a good choice while not being too expensive.

http://www.epiphone.com/images/N_nancy1.jpg

Algonquin
August 12th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Great clip! Goes to show that much of a guitars tone comes from the players fingers.

Great post... thanks :AOK