PDA

View Full Version : Favor to ask....

duhvoodooman
August 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I just installed a new router and also a new switch that my web server is connected through. I think everything is properly configured and running OK, but would appreciate it if a few of you would open this page on my site. I'm particulary interested in how quickly the graphics load when you "mouseover" the thumbnail images:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/mouseover_image_select.html

TIA!! :thumbsup

Commodore 64
August 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
The mouseover doesn't appear to work at all for me, that or it takes longer than 45s to load the image. Using FF 3.6.8 BTW.

Edit: It takes like 45s to a minute for the pic to load for me, but it does load.

Edit 2:OK the whole page took like 3-4 mins , I guess, to cache all the pics. Now that they are cached, it's instant. :)

Edit 3: Minor annoyance DVM. WHen you mouse over an image, it shows up below, however, at my res (1280 x 1024), you can't see the whole picture. If you scroll down with a wheel or move the mouse to scroll down, the pointer inevitably triggers another image (especially if you are mousing over something on the top row).

Eric
August 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm using Swiftfox 3.6.3 (not exactly sure what the difference is from Firefox) on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

The page works fine, and images took 1.5-3.5 seconds each, depending on the size. I had to unblock it from NoScript before it worked I think, but to be honest I wasn't exactly patient with it.

duhvoodooman
August 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I had to unblock it from NoScript before it worked...
Yeah, the mouseover thing is a Java script.

LeadedEL84
August 7th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I just tried it. It was lightning fast for me. All the pics loaded instantly and the mouse overs worked right away.

M29
August 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Once the page fully loaded it was better but it acted kind confused until things settled down. After that the image mouseovers worked fast.
IMHO the initial page load could be faster, some might get antsy and move on. But this is on my machine and may be faster on others.

I am using iMac with Firefox 3.6.3

Tig
August 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Works very quick from my laptop at work using Firefox over the LAN. I ran a download test at speedtest.net and clocked 86.43 Mb/s.

otaypanky
August 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I just tried it. It was lightning fast for me. All the pics loaded instantly and the mouse overs worked right away.

Me too, rippin' quick

guitarhack
August 8th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Worked fine for me, with pics taking just a about 1 second to load after mouseover.

Kazz
August 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I am experiencing the same as C64 and I am a firefox user as well.

piebaldpython
August 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Before the page fully loads, it takes about 3 seconds for a mouseover to change. Once loaded, it's instantaneous.

bcdon
August 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I tried the lastest versions of Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and Safari on my MacBook Pro and they all load really fast; with Chrome being the fastest.

marnold
August 8th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Once the pictures are loaded, it's fine. The first time you mouseover something it takes a while. Some pictures don't take that long. Other are making me sit there for a while.

duhvoodooman
August 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks, guys. Looks like everything is working as well as can be exopected. I run the site on a dedicated PC here at my home, through my cable ISP under my standard home user account. If the large photos generally load in 2 - 3 secs, that seems pretty reasonable. Not sure why C64 and Kazz get the big delays, but most of you seem to be getting reasonably quick load times.

kidsmoke
August 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
i'm using firefox on tiger OS and the page loaded instantly and beautifully, the mouseover was 3-6 seconds each, oddly, guitars seem to load quicker than amps.