PDA

View Full Version : If you want to learn blues guitar

Robert
August 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Here is a new blues guitar lesson for you guys. Let me know what you think.

I call it "Slow Blues With Groove". You can get Guitar Pro notation and tabs here -
http://www.box.net/shared/j48j95mgtt

9mjvfltA4T8

Tig
August 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Excellent lesson for a foundation to build off of.
The Hag sounds great! :thumbsup

deeaa
August 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Good stuff!

When I saw the title I thought it'd be...if you wanna know how to play the blues...get yourself a woman...;-)

duhvoodooman
August 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
When I saw the title I thought it'd be...if you wanna know how to play the blues...get yourself a woman...;-)
Shooting a man in Memphis is a good idea, too....

Another very useful lesson, RR!

Retro Hound
August 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I can't wait to get home and try this! Thanks!

piebaldpython
August 10th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Great stuff as always.

Pickngrin
August 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
+1 on the "great stuff as always" comment, Robert.
Thanks for your practical lessons.

Robert
August 10th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks, glad you like. You can download the HD video from my box too - download, share it and spread the word! :)

deeaa
August 11th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Shooting a man in Memphis is a good idea, too....

Another very useful lesson, RR!

Hehe, yeah...back in the day when I briefly played much blues, I said I'd like my tombstone to say 'He didn't wake up this morning' :-) but then I changed it to 'He was a simple man who died of complications'.

Then I decided to hell with and I've requested to be cremated and they can just toss the ashes in the nearest bin. Make a Wikipedia page in memoriam or something if like.

M29
August 11th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Sweet lesson Robert, I have some more goodies to learn now. Nicely done and nice gear!
Thank you! :rockya

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2010, 07:19 AM
That is great Robert! I like how you focused on the counting on this one. I have been trying to work on that myself for increased precision and consistency. This one will be good to practice to.

kidsmoke
August 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Robert, I gotta say, you're deliberate and really break it down, but somehow avoid turning it into a yawner. Basic, with just enough fluff to make it interesting and fun.

Excellent instruction. keep it up!

What I'm realizing is that I need right hand work. Flatpick technique is important as well. Sometimes the quick up/down(as opposed to down/down) on the same string or two adjacent strings is key to a riff.

This is a skill bluegrass and mando players develop early. I'm realizing I did not.

What do you suggest? Practicing scales by alternating? :zzz

Robert
August 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Tio, yes practice alternate picking to a metronome or drum track, or even a tune. You can also to tremolo picking this way, where you just stay on one note a la Dick Dale. Make sure you are accurate with timing - playing 4ths, 8ths, 16ths, triplets, etc. All in good time! :)

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Tio, I am no instructor, but as a student, I can say that learning basic versions of "Red Haired Boy" and "Billy in the Low Ground" (see here: http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/top10.php ) and playing along with a metronome and foot tapping has helped. They are to be played with strictly alternate picking, down on down beats, up on up beats. It helps, but I still need work though. That is more fun to me than alternate scales, though I suppose that would be good for me to do too so I learn my scales better.

To relate that suggestion to Robert's lesson, I like sometimes to add some vibrato or a little bend like Robert is doing above to my bluegrass fiddle tunes to blues 'em up a bit. Probably not approved by blue grass purists . . . :AOK

otaypanky
August 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
makin' the world a better sounding place, one video at a time :thumbsup

Monkus
August 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
thank you Robert, awesome as always....!

Tig
August 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
As good as this sounds playing this on an electric, I'm enjoying it even more on my acoustic. It has that ol' roots-blues feel to it, which shines well acoustically, and the variations are almost limitless. :greenguitar:

Thanks a thousand, Robert!
:applause

Robert
August 12th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Glad you like. Rhythm is everything. Once you get this groove going, it's unstoppable! :D

bigG
August 12th, 2010, 10:43 AM
As good as this sounds playing this on an electric, I'm enjoying it even more on my acoustic. It has that ol' roots-blues feel to it, which shines well acoustically, and the variations are almost limitless. :greenguitar:

Thanks a thousand, Robert!
:applause

+1 on that! It's been abt a year now since I've been in my acoustic phase, and that is pure acoustic blues heaven! Embellish it w some slide and turn-arounds, oh man! There's no end to the fun to be had!

Another great one, Roberto! :applause

otaypanky
August 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Glad you like. Rhythm is everything. Once you get this groove going, it's unstoppable! :D

That's what keeps the blues alive and going strong :dude

Robert
August 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
That's what keeps the blues alive and going strong :dude

Thanks! Yeah, rhythm is KEY. Most of my students, as well as people asking me via email, haven't realized the importance of steady rhythm when playing.

ALWAYS try to tap your foot to the beat - no matter what you are playing. It is hard at first, but it gets easier the more you do it. If you practice with a drum track or metronome, look your foot in with the 1/4 notes.

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks! Yeah, rhythm is KEY. Most of my students, as well as people asking me via email, haven't realized the importance of steady rhythm when playing.

ALWAYS try to tap your foot to the beat - no matter what you are playing. It is hard at first, but it gets easier the more you do it. If you practice with a drum track or metronome, look your foot in with the 1/4 notes.

I fall into that category. I thought I had a reasonably good sense of timing naturally, and never worked on it that hard. I have been working on it more in the last year or so, and even more recently. Thanks for the fun lesson to play with!

deeaa
August 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Indeed...there are always players who may be even very good but still lack the good rhythm...and it won't work in the long run.

IMO perhaps the best thing to do to hone rhythm chops is to play an acoustic - not sweet picking but simple strong CCR and such; it's basically a rhythm instrument. Play 'Born on the Bayou' just one chord basically, and it's all about rhythm. You can get one chord rhythm to really groove, you're doing well. Noticed it myself a while back...no playing acoustic proper for a year and my rhytm playing suffered immensely.

jailmefw
August 14th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks ,
I use E-BLUES iPhone Application (http://www.mkgnumb.com/2010/08/iphone-application-e-blues-blues.html) for learning.
Great stuff thanks.

Soulstress
August 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM
makin' the world a better sounding place, one video at a time :thumbsup

I agree. I will have to play this over and over to really get it but to get that sound is my goal.

Tig
August 14th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I agree. I will have to play this over and over to really get it but to get that sound is my goal.

Repetition is the best way to learn. In no time your fingers (and brain) will build muscle memory for the patterns, and bam, ya got it!