PDA

View Full Version : 1953 Martin 00028

gregsguitars
August 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
So about a year ago I picked up this guitar , the original owner for some insane reason had "protected" it by painting the back and sides with a paintbrush and clear varnish..., the bridge was lifting and the bridge plate was splintering. I take it to one of my luthiers ( I have several) and tell Dave to fix it. I finally get it back this week and man o man does Dave do phenomenal work . He honestly had to disassemble the guitar, rework, re glue ,reset and refinish everything but the fretboard and front of the headstock. Superb is all I and my fellow vintage friends can say.Brazilian slab sawn rosewood .
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/gregguitars/Martin195300028142.jpghttp://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/gregguitars/Martin195300028127.jpghttp://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/gregguitars/Martin195300028114.jpghttp://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/gregguitars/Martin195300028016.jpg

Tig
August 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Now that is one very fine guitar.
The rosewood is art all by itself.

otaypanky
August 11th, 2010, 02:53 PM
That's awfully pretty :AOK

I was at a barbecue a few weeks ago and my friend asked his buddy to tell me his 'Martin story'. I wish he hadn't ~ LOL
Turns out the guy stops at a garage sale and sees an old guitar. He picks it up thinking he always wanted to try and learn how to play. Pays $50. and off he goes. 'Brings it to his local music shop for a restring and set up and the guy tells him "Why not bring it up to Martin? They're right here in Pa." So he does. They charged him and arm and a leg. He's waiting for what feels like a long time and sticks his head in the door. There's an employee playing it and sounding good. He offered to buy it and eventually worked his way up to a $500 offer, but the new owner wanted to try and learn to play so he kept it. That is, he kept it until another guy saw it a few weeks later and paid him $17,000. for it !!! He said if it didn't have the fancy inlays but was the 'plain' model it would have been worth around $30,000. ! I can't fathom prices like that. But what a stroke of luck : )

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Nice looking guitar!

hubberjub
August 11th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Good god.

guitarhack
August 12th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Beautiful.

bigG
August 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
WOW! Just WOW! :hungry

otaypanky
August 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Did your guitar guy tell you what he used to get the old finish off?
That guitar looks absolutely brand new now

gregsguitars
August 16th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I never bother my luthier when he has one of my guitars, I trust him completely. Thanks for all the love here for sure, I had a few friends play her this weekend to confirm what I hear . There words were, splendid, extremely well rounded and complex in tone, silk chocolate , and other words of praise, then I told them what is was , and they were really floored.

FrankenFretter
August 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
That's awfully pretty :AOK

I was at a barbecue a few weeks ago and my friend asked his buddy to tell me his 'Martin story'. I wish he hadn't ~ LOL
Turns out the guy stops at a garage sale and sees an old guitar. He picks it up thinking he always wanted to try and learn how to play. Pays $50. and off he goes. 'Brings it to his local music shop for a restring and set up and the guy tells him "Why not bring it up to Martin? They're right here in Pa." So he does. They charged him and arm and a leg. He's waiting for what feels like a long time and sticks his head in the door. There's an employee playing it and sounding good. He offered to buy it and eventually worked his way up to a $500 offer, but the new owner wanted to try and learn to play so he kept it. That is, he kept it until another guy saw it a few weeks later and paid him $17,000. for it !!! He said if it didn't have the fancy inlays but was the 'plain' model it would have been worth around $30,000. ! I can't fathom prices like that. But what a stroke of luck : )

First of all, great looking Martin, Greg!

Bob, that is an amazing story. It does seem rather underhanded that a Martin employee would offer the guy $500 for a $17, 000 guitar. I suppose it's possible that he didn't know what it was, but that seems unlikely, considering he works for the company. I can't imagine having that kind of luck...that lucky so-and-so!

gregsguitars
September 1st, 2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks , I am fortunate to do what I do , buying, reselling , keeping great gear in rotation in my own stable. As a player first I take chances on less than mint guitars an have a wonderful luthier correctly repair them the way they should have left the factory in most cases and as better guitars than as if they were new. I have several reasonably priced Martins, Gibson guitars in the works presently.