PDA

View Full Version : Had my cat put to sleep today

deeaa
August 13th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Well, almost 18 years of company, the longest relationship I ever had with anything or anyone except relatives.

She (he) was a poorly case right from the start, tiny, too young to wean really, and it was a struggle of a full year to get him even house trained. I suspect seriously he was somehow, I dunno, autistic or whatever animals could be, but in any case his elevator never did reach the top. But perhaps just because of that, he felt almost like a child to me sometimes, had to give him special attention always, feed him from my hand etc, because he was just too dumb to survive in many situations for years and years. Couldn't even dream of letting him go outside. But he thought I was his mother obviously - the only cat I ever had that never got to be 'cat like' cunning and clever, just a dumb baby all his life.

I've had dogs put to sleep and lost close relatives & old dear friends, but horrible as it may seem, putting that cat to sleep hurt more than losing any one of them. He could have lived on maybe a year or so, but I had to make the call because I could see life was getting to be a burden for him - could not have watched him shiver with cold thru another winter. Buried him in the garden. Cried like a baby.

Algonquin
August 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Sorry to hear Dee... never an easy time.

All the best,
David

R_of_G
August 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM
My sympathies Deeaa. One of my cats passed last month. It still hurts.

Eric
August 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm so sorry. Just reading that is making me tear up...honest.

Tig
August 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Dee, you have done everything right for your cat from the beginning to the end. Think of the wonderful life it had just because of you. That's what counts.

Hang in there.

Commodore 64
August 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
That's a nice tribute to your cat. We have a similar one, she is 13. Same kind of deal regarding weaning and autistic-type behavior. She's been so good with our kids, laying with them whether they are crying or screaming, purring. In any case, I can understand what it must be like to pull the plug. We had to do the same to our Golden Retriever last year.

deeaa
August 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys I really appreciate your replys. Life goes on, tomorrow is a new day.

sunvalleylaw
August 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Sorry to hear Dee... never an easy time.

All the best,
David

I agree. All the best to you during this hard time.

msteeln
August 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM
You gave him a full life of love, and he gave it back, ...albeit with typical cat attitude probably, and that's one of the great things about being brought into this world.
Another good one is waiting at any animal shelter near you!

Bloozcat
August 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm really sorry for your loss, Dee, I know the feeling well.

We had a Calico named Pookie that was what we would say in hushed tones, "a little retarded". She had been taken from her mother too soon, put in a plastic bag, and dumped out by the beach to die. A friend found her just in time and brought her to us, knowing that our other cat, Gizmo, had just died.

We had Pookie for 15-1/2 years before she got to the point that she couldn't control her bodily functions an longer. We (I) put her down 8-months ago. She was like a little baby, especially with me.

Soon we'll be through putting the tile down throughout the house (mostly because of her "mishaps"), and in a few month we'll probably think about another cat.

You always think that no pet could ever replace the one you lost, and that's really true. But, instead of replacing the one you lost, the new one just adds another chapter to your life. They all have a place in your heart forever as the unique little critters they were.

kiteman
August 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
You're a good man deeaa. Always hurt me to lose a pet, yours or mine.

Monkus
August 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Our pets are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. A new chapter begins. Hang in there.

Ask of the beasts and they will teach you the beauty of this earth. St. Francis of Assisi.

bcdon
August 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Sorry for your loss. Although it was hard you know you did the right thing.. and that shows just how much you love the little guy.

Katastrophe
August 13th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Condolences, Dee. Losing a pet, especially one you've had for so long, is always hard.

We lost our youngest dog a little over a year ago, and I'm still dealing with it.

Best wishes, man.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

kiteman
August 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I'm afraid when my time come I'm gonna be buried in furs. Then we all will cross the Rainbow Bridge together. :dude

otaypanky
August 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Sad news to hear ~
I'm an animal lover, I know how you're feeling. Each day when I greet our animals I remember that one day they won't be here or we'll be having a day like you just had, and then we spend a little extra quality time together while we can.
~ again, so sorry to hear about friend

bigG
August 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM
My condolences, dee. That's one reason I don't have pets anymore these days. Just absolutely breaks my heart, and it can't much afford to be broke like that again.

I have this "feeling" that most animals deserve a good life on this earth moreso than most human beings. I have met WAY more than my share of sorry-a** people in my life...

deeaa
August 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I've been very lucky with people...I keep running into just pretty good folk all the time. Haven't ever really had to deal with a-holes at all, or been screwed or double-crossed anything more serious than kindergarten stuff, unless you count the occasions when someone's tried to pick a fight in a bar or something, or the time I was railroaded off my position by this colleague at work who probably felt threatened or something because I was too good at it, and caused me to lose my job. That's probably the biggest I ever endured. But I forgave her anyway.

This despite I've known some jailbirds, trouble-makers and criminals too - even those have been pretty much stand-up guys and fair and so on, within limits of course. Wouldn't ask them to a party at my place but anyway :-)

Tig
August 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I have this "feeling" that most animals deserve a good life on this earth moreso than most human beings. I have met WAY more than my share of sorry-a** people in my life...

Understood! (oh, the stories we could tell, eh?)

People ask why we have 4 dogs and 3 cats. (was 5 and 4, but the older ones had to be put down)
Because most of these animals came from a very bad life or situation and deserved to have a good life. A few act as if they know how lucky they are, too!