PDA

View Full Version : My First Trip to Guitar Center

Retro Hound
August 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
My 8 year old son is saving his money for some drums. (He has about $300 saved). My wife said something about this on spacebook, or myface, one of those things. My nephew who's in the Army has a practically new set of electronic drums that he decided to give the 8 year old. They're at my sister's house in Kansas City. So I pick up my brother-in-law on the way and and he wants to stop at Guitar Center for some new strings (his town is even smaller than mine, no music store at all).

So we go in and I get to try out several amps I've been wanting to hear and they had several semi-hollow bodies for me to try out. That was fun! I really like the beautiful red Gretsch 5120 (with a Bigsby). The thicker bodies sounded A LOT better to me than the thinner bodies. I was surprised at the difference, even within the same brand like the Ibenez Artcore series. And instead of the G-DEC I should have gotten a Super Champ XD. The tone on that was much more to my liking. Easier to get great cleans.

My complaint about the place was how loud it was. They had music playing kinda loud (why do they have it at all?), and then all the people trying out stuff. Of course this was Saturday about 5:00. It was a little hard to hear. I couldn't tell a difference between the Fender Blues Jr. and the Vintage Blues Jr. Of course it they were in two different aisles, so by the time you unplugged and walked across the store you've lost some of the nuance.

But, it was fun, and I'd love to go back. I think before I buy anything new, I'm going to go again to make sure I'm really trying things out and not just going off reviews. Sorry if this post doesn't contribute much, but I don't have anyone in town who will share my excitement. :dude

Tig
August 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Walking into any good sized guitar shop is always a thrill... Walls lined with colorful guitars that put you into a GAS trance. :drool:

I avoid GC on the weekends if possible. Too many shredder-wanna-be kids droning away drives my ears to rip themselves from my head and escape!

omegadot
August 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I know the GC near me has some rooms to test out if you are really intent on hear an instrument. They are in the back past the acoustics in this case. I haven't been in them but it seems like there should be relative quiet.

oldguy
August 17th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Retro,
The new Best Buy in North Kansas City, KS has a jam room like omegadot mentioned. They have a decent selection also. If you ever get over that way you check 'em out. I was in there a few weeks back and tried out a few guitars and amphs. It's just off I-435 on Parallel. Pkwy. :hungry

Retro Hound
August 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks guys, I will def ask about a quiet room if I am serious about buying. Sounds like the best way to A/B the equipment.

guitarhack
August 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Although I've never visited, there's a GC about an hour or so away. Your post prompted me to look up the info on it, and the manager's name is listed as: Stormy Weatherly.

gregsguitars
August 19th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Just make sure the guitar or amp you finally decide on is the one they ring up...They usually go to the back and pull a boxed piece out of inventory and bring it to you, If it is a guitar do not give it to the employee, hold it and tell them to go get your box,case and other goodies it comes with. Oh yea they are able to "offer" the best price on any guitar by charging extra for a set up and case.

DrumBob
August 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
I don't think you'll get much excitement here either, to be honest. Guitar Center is largely a subject of derision on most forums. I only shop there if there's a great deal on accessory items, or if I'm stuck and GC is the only place open.

It's better to patronize independent music stores at all costs, even if you have to drive a distance. Same with bookstores.