PDA

View Full Version : Tony Iommi's fret fingers bared

msteeln
August 16th, 2010, 02:14 PM
In the current issue of Guitar Player, the 10 Things You Need To Know To Play Like... section, there's a full page photo of Tony playing without the caps on his fingertips, and they are at the forefront of the shot so you get a clear pic of the trauma he suffered. Not as bad as I've always thot, but still...

Maybe somebody has a copy and can scan it for the forum...?

40+ years later and still the Riff King! :beavisnbutthead:

sumitomo
August 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Yea,I was checking that out and it reminded me of a guy I ran into one time when I was buying Magnatone Amps,this guy got his index finger and middle finger caught in a motorcycle sprocket and chain and they got cut off at about the first joint,he had nice big flat caluse on both fingers and it actually seemed to help him.Sumi:D

marnold
August 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Does it look like this?
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/224c69ec0d8c7ea.jpg

sumitomo
August 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM
It was about the same as your index,but the middle was longer and the ring and the pinky were normal(on his fret hand)Your's got caught in a snow blower I think.Sumi:D

marnold
August 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Your's got caught in a snow blower I think.Sumi:D
You are correct, Sir.

sunvalleylaw
August 17th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Rev Rawk, not to dwell on it, but when I see your injury, I cringe and remember the times I used to snowblow our long driveway with an old Ariens garden tractor with a 42 inch blower attachment on the front. Usually quite effective, but it would get jammed up once in a while, or break a sheer pin. I did not always turn the whole machine off when I went out to clear it, (stoopid) and was fortunate not to receive injury. Sorry about yours.

marnold
August 17th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Sorry about yours.
Not a problem. It was my own carelessness that caused it. Mercifully, my hand works just fine. No fingerstyle for me, but that's not my speed anyway. It also cured 30% of my nail-biting problem *rimshot*. I cut the new tip of my index finger somewhat easily. There's not much sensation there, so I don't notice right away. Happened yesterday when I was taking out the garbage and didn't notice until I saw blood smeared all over the garbage bag. Looked like I was trying to dispose of a drifter.

Tig
August 17th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I meant to do this yesterday, but a thunder storm was overhead so I shut my PC down.
Here's a so-so scan, since the magazine print quality isn't much to work with.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4902451994_2397690165_b.jpg

msteeln
August 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I meant to do this yesterday, but...Thanx!
The way Tony lost his flesh probably left nothing to work with, whereas when I cut off the 1/4" tip of my right index it was still hanging by the last layer of fingerprint and the surgeon reattached the end, no problems. The shortlived pain and way worse, the sense of loss was a mind ****, but nothing compared to his.

marnold
August 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The way Tony lost his flesh probably left nothing to work with, whereas when I cut off the 1/4" tip of my right index it was still hanging by the last layer of fingerprint and the surgeon reattached the end, no problems. The shortlived pain and way worse, the sense of loss was a mind ****, but nothing compared to his.
Not to be too graphic, but since mine were "smashed" off, no reattachment was possible. As a matter of fact, some minor amputation (more like "cleaning up") was necessary. The shots in my hand for the surgery were far more painful than the actual injury (and the removal of the stitches was several orders of magnitude more painful than that). I hear you about the sense of loss. I'll never forget how I felt when I finally took off all the layers of dressing and saw my fingers as they would forever remain. Mentally I knew what it would look like, but it was like an uppercut to the jaw when I actually saw them.

sumitomo
August 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I have been shoveling snow here at my shop for 10 yrs. and a couple yrs ago was thinking I'm getting old now the shoveling gets me tired,then I heard Marnold's adventure and thought well maybe not and for sure not now,shoveling is good exercise anyway,keeps ya in shape.Sumi:D

Zip
August 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
There's a lot you can do without full use of your fingers. Remember this guy?

http://www.thebluegrassspecial.com/archive/2010/march10/imagesmarch10/django-1.jpg

FrankenFretter
August 19th, 2010, 06:59 AM
There's a lot you can do without full use of your fingers. Remember this guy?

http://www.thebluegrassspecial.com/archive/2010/march10/imagesmarch10/django-1.jpg

Yeah, he did it all with only two fingers. Amazing.

And for those who have lost digits, or partial digits, and still play: I find that inspiring, and I admire your fortitude. There are probably many who would just give up. Good on ya for forging onward!

Tone2TheBone
August 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Django is awesome.

Holy cow Rev. that is YOUR hand??!

I just love Tony's SG.

marnold
August 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Holy cow Rev. that is YOUR hand??!.
Yep. That picture was taken within a few months after the fact. We didn't have a digital camera at the time, so I just stuck my hand in my scanner :)

sumitomo
August 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Yep. That picture was taken within a few months after the fact. We didn't have a digital camera at the time, so I just stuck my hand in my scanner :)

Rev you gotta stop sticking your hands in stuff,even if it's only a scanner!LOL Sumi:D

Slowhand
August 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Try this to get an insight of how Django managed note the use of his thumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY&feature=related

windycityblues
August 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Coulda been worse. He could have been like Django Reinhardt and had 2 fingers permanently crippled, and only be able to use the index and middle fingers for soloing, and have to figure out alternate fingerings for many of the chords. Didn't stop Django of course:D

redgibson
August 29th, 2010, 02:14 PM
It is odd that i stumbled on this thread today, my left hand is useless today after a long gig on a sore carpel tunnel / rsi ordeal. Having not physically lost anything certainly puts it in a different perspective! Has anyone else had RSI from guitar? I work as a programmer too so that adds to it. I really don't want surgery and I'd prefer some alternate method of correction/ releif. typing with one hand :-/ Again, a strange day to hit this thread. Radical mindshift...:help

Tig
August 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
It is odd that i stumbled on this thread today, my left hand is useless today after a long gig on a sore carpel tunnel / rsi ordeal. Having not physically lost anything certainly puts it in a different perspective! Has anyone else had RSI from guitar? I work as a programmer too so that adds to it. I really don't want surgery and I'd prefer some alternate method of correction/ releif. typing with one hand :-/ Again, a strange day to hit this thread. Radical mindshift...:help

If you do have to have surgery, look up the "Brown CTS procedure".

Rotor
August 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Having had Carpal Tunnel relief surgery on both hands I can relate Red Gibson.
I was to the point I could not lift a cup of coffee up. After surgery I had about 75-80% relief. One day I was at my Chiropractor, and mentioned it to him.
He "adjusted" my wrists several times by pressing on the side and moving the two forearm and wrist bones. That, in effect, changed the eye shaped opening that the nerve bundle and tendons move through to a more rounded shape. WA-LA! All better ever since. So that is my advice, get thee to a bone cruncher.
Edit: Also, give it some time for the inflamation to calm down too.