PDA

View Full Version : What kind of things have you have learned from the Fret?

Rockybluejazz
August 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM
While doing research for my latest fit of gas. I came across a post that really struck me. Somebody said something along the lines of when you feel that you need a new guitar to take your playing further. You have probaly hit a platau. And probably just need to play more. That struck a chord with me. It didn't stop me from getting a new guitar. But it sure made me revaluate my motives and be honest with myself about my own abilities. And is something I been guilty of in the past. So I was wondering what kind of ephanies others have had.

Tig
August 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
All kinds of great lessons from Robert.
About how good Godin acoustic guitars are (Art & Lutherie, Seagull). :canada:
Same with the CV Squiers.
Huge amounts of amp and guitar facts and advice, all worthwhile.
About BYOC effects (thx, DVM!).
A bunch of links to other good sites.
Introduced to artists like Joe Bonamassa, Warren Haynes, etc.
How a quality handmade strap is such a pleasure to own (Go, Brookwood Leather!)
...And about 1000 other things that would take too long to type or recall right now.
Also, I've learned just how cool and kind my fellow guitarists can be.
Great topic, BTW!

mjk123
August 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM
All kinds of great lessons from Robert.

I will have to concur with lessons from Robert. He has been invaulable.:rockya

Robert
August 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm blushing guys... thank you, thank you...

http://www.todaysplanet.com/pg/beta/bhcourier1/pic/blushing.jpg

Rockybluejazz
August 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM
WOW! I just learned a lot from your responeses. Looks like I need to hang around some more and dig deeper.

MAXIFUNK
August 17th, 2010, 05:21 PM
MAN where do I start...........

Robert bar chords lesson a great one. He has many more on here.
All about tubes.
Discovered new to me guitar vendors too numerous to name.
New Artist to me.
People who are far further along in their playing willingness to answer my mundane newbie questions.
Pedal and pick-ups info galore.
String advice.

and that's not even a 1/4 of what I have learned here.

Katastrophe
August 17th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I've learned:

that it's not crazy to want as many guitars as Spudman.

that Brian's floor grows guitars.

the secret behind epic pancakes.

what an "amph" is.

that a person with a Squier '51 and a Vox amph can sound incredible.

alot about gear.

more than I can list here,

AND

that TheFret.net members are some of the coolest people on the planet.

omegadot
August 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I found justinguitar. That really clicked for me.

bcdon
August 17th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I've met some really great people here on The Fret, both in real life -- like my buddy Sean(FrankenFretter), his brother NWBasser, and our esteemed leader Robert -- and in "internet life" with all the wonderful posters here. It's nice to find a place online where people are civil to each other and we're all united by our passion for that 4-5-6-7-string temptress. ;-) :dude

bcdon
August 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM
How a quality handmade strap is such a pleasure to own (Go, Brookwood Leather!)

Me too! Bob (otaypanky) not only makes the finest guitar straps he is also one hell of a nice guy.

FrankenFretter
August 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I learn new things almost daily here. Besides the things mentioned above;

- Estaban guitars are awesome.
- Never have Robert change your tubes for you.
- It's okay to like playing Metal better than other styles. It doesn't make you a terrible person.
- Saying the word "amph" to people who don't frequent this forum brings on a look of slight bewilderment, but they generally won't try and correct you.
- This is the ultimate "enabler" site for those who enjoy growing their guitar collections. Not that we need enabling...
- Fretters are great people in person, as well as on this site. BCDon and Heywood Jablomie are great guys, and fun to hang out with.
- You can ask folks here just about anything, and get all kinds of [good] advice.
- It's okay to be a thrifty (I didn't say cheap). Good stuff can be had without spending a fortune.

Just a few things that came to mind this morning. There are many more as well. I love this place!

guitarhack
August 18th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I've learned that cheap (read inexpensive) guitars can be great fun, too. I'll add another bump for Robert's website, which has tons of great info and videos. I also learned that G.A.S. never sleeps!

Eric
August 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Hmm. I suppose I've learned the following:

Some music theory (rock, blues, modes, scales)
Brands that I like or that interest me (Tech 21, Carvin, Godin)
How to characterize tones (i.e. what Marshall sounds like, etc.)
A BUNCH about the technical side of audio and electricity (i.e. how amps work, balanced connections, HiZ/LoZ, etc.)
How the guts of an electric guitar work (pots, caps, pickups, etc.)
Different opinions on what makes a guitar great (e.g. wood matters/doesn't matter, etc.)

And while TFN hasn't necessarily been the exact resource for all of this info, in many instances it has given me enough of a foothold to know what to look up, which has then fleshed out my knowledge significantly.

Tig
August 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
- Never have Robert change your tubes for you.

Bam! :spank
:rollover

oldguy
August 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM
What Lutefisk is. I then researched it. I don't think I wanna eat it, I don't think.........:hungry

Rockybluejazz
August 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
What Lutefisk is. I then researched it. I don't think I wanna eat it, I don't think.........:hungry

I live in the Wisconsin. Your right you don't!

Eric
August 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I live in the Wisconsin. Your right you don't!
+1. We used to have it every Christmas eve. Blech.

sunvalleylaw
August 18th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Hmm, I was a complete and really absolute noob in October of 2006 when I joined. I had been playing really only for a few months, and was drawn in by researching Vox amphs. So really, quite a lot, or maybe even most of what I know.

So, I learned right away about Vox amphs.
I also learned about tube amphs, and particularly Peavey Classic 30s.
I bought a tube amph (C-30) but still would love a little vox amph to haul around.

I learned what "amph" meant and why the term is properly spelled thusly.

I learned reverends can rawk.

I learned there are actual lawyers that are also actual punk rockers. (Edit, also just how many nice, family type guys (and some women) there are out there who enjoy playing and learning to play.

I met a ton of good friends across the globe, and one good one just a ways across the state from me.

I learned about playing over backing tracks, and learned about internet jams where a number of people recorded and collaborated over the same track. We used to do that more, and need to get one started up again.

I learned that more accomplished players were often very willing to encourage and help you if you ask.

I have learned many, many tips, techniques, and practical ways to sound better,

I learned about gems among less expensive items, what to look for while shopping for things

a lot about effects and what they are, what some good cheap ones were, how to line them up, what better ones do, and on and on on that topic.

I found out about some basic things like get decent cables, how to change strings, etc.

I have learned a lot about a lot of music I would never have listened to but for this place.

I have learned a lot about internet communication, and how with using some basic respect and some other common sense, there can be a place where we share the above and much more, help each other out, make some friends, and really, have a darn good time. :thumbsup :dance :happy

sunvalleylaw
August 18th, 2010, 10:22 PM

I will stick to the lefsa with butter and brown sugar thank you very much.

SuperSwede
August 19th, 2010, 06:20 AM
+1 to everything that Sunvalley said. :)

And I also want to add that there is only one amph capable of a screaming solo lead sound a´la Steely Dan.

Tig
August 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM

We have gumbo every Christmas eve. (don't spill any on yo forehead, 'cause yo tongue will beat you to death tryin' to get at it!)
I can't imagine a world without Cajun food!

sumitomo
August 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have learned alot hear also,I wont retype all,I'll add alittle,weel I have learned practice is key(good practice)as well as time not playing(it seems to spark a deeper desire)that your sound is unlike any others,go with it take what you like from other's add it make it your sound.To ease up on your expectations(you'll actually move along faster if you do)and HAVE FUN PLAYING!!!!!! Sumi:D

Lev
August 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM
+1 to SVL

I've also learned that it is possible to teach guitar, play in 2 bands, record internet videos, run marathons, manage a web forum, and be a dad and husband at the same time. :)

...and I've learned that posts about John Mayer are guaranteed to divide opinion (but in a healthy and respectful way!)

Eric
August 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM
To ease up on your expectations(you'll actually move along faster if you do)
That's interesting and very true, Sumi.

Lev
August 19th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Having thought about this some more I think TheFret has given me a lot over the past few years. The friendly atmosphere in this place encouraged me to start sharing my playing through videos and music files which I had never done before. It also gave me the confidence to go out and try out for bands and break out of the bedroom and into the clubs. I spent a year gigging regularly and learning about live sound, always knowing that any answers to my questions were just a post away on TF.

Thanks to all at theFret for making my guitar journey more fulfilling than I ever expected over the past few years. Slainte!