PDA

View Full Version : BestBuy & Hagstrom.

barber76
August 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Looks like BestBuy (and for those who doesn't know, yes, they sell guitars & gear both online and in stores) got some big deal with Hagstrom. Their "new arrival" guitar section is flooded with all types of Hagstroms.

Bloozcat
August 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM
The crappy BestBuy near me doesn't carry any Guitars or musical equipment. :mad

deeaa
August 21st, 2010, 11:30 PM
I just played a Hag yesterday! I was pretty impressed how well it was set up and all, and finished up to the point of being already a bit too 'plasticy' if you know what I mean...almost like it was made of all plastic or porcelain. Not much of feel of a wooden instrument there.

Played very well and sounded good, but I don't know if I like the fretboard, it feels strange to me, hard like a lacquered one but not smooth. Might take some getting used to methinks. But, all in all, seems like a good axe.

t_ross33
August 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
...almost like it was made of all plastic or porcelain. Not much of feel of a wooden instrument there.

Played very well and sounded good, but I don't know if I like the fretboard, it feels strange to me, hard like a lacquered one but not smooth. Might take some getting used to methinks. But, all in all, seems like a good axe.

I kinda like the poly finish, it's pretty durable and scratch resistant (and shiny :thumbsup ) ... great for a gig-worthy guitar. The fretboard takes a bit of getting used to but I'm really digging it. LOVE my Ultra-Swede :dude

bigG
August 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
I still can't get past the fact that you can buy mid- and high-end guitars at BEST BUY! Geeeesh!

Support your local mom'n'pop store every chance you get! They're rapidly disappearing, which, IMHO, is a very bad thing for musicians, and the country in general...

t_ross33
August 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
I still can't get past the fact that you can buy mid- and high-end guitars at BEST BUY! Geeeesh!

Support your local mom'n'pop store every chance you get! They're rapidly disappearing, which, IMHO, is a very bad thing for musicians, and the country in general...

One problem is with manufacture's that force small retailers to carry minimum, and sometimes excessive, inventory or impose large minimum purchase prices. It puts a great deal of pressure on small retailers who would like to carry more "brand-name" but just can't afford it. The big-box stores can carry more inventory and spread stock purchases over multiple outlets.

deeaa
August 22nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
The reason I dislike large/chain music stores there's no chance of finding cheap gems or junkers to resurrect - they just don't carry or keep cheap and broken stuff. Used to be you could find guitar parts and old junkers in music stores no problem, all kinds of stuff they'd taken in for trade and just forgotten because it was too broken/bad/whatever. Or old pedals nobody had been interested in for years and forgotten behind others gathering dust you could get for a song.

Big, new chain stores...they only sell brand new stuff, and if they have used gear, it's always top notch too. Sure they have 300 guitars but only ten brands - if you're lucky..used to be 40-50 axes and double the brands and variety.

t_ross33
August 22nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
The reason I dislike large/chain music stores there's no chance of finding cheap gems or junkers to resurrect - they just don't carry or keep cheap and broken stuff. Used to be you could find guitar parts and old junkers in music stores no problem, all kinds of stuff they'd taken in for trade and just forgotten because it was too broken/bad/whatever. Or old pedals nobody had been interested in for years and forgotten behind others gathering dust you could get for a song.

Big, new chain stores...they only sell brand new stuff, and if they have used gear, it's always top notch too. Sure they have 300 guitars but only ten brands - if you're lucky..used to be 40-50 axes and double the brands and variety.

very true... have to rely on craigslist and kijiji for those special finds now. Even tough to snag a deal on Ebay now, though it can be done if you're diligent enough. Doesn't help the mom and pops though.