PDA

View Full Version : Gloss finish on a maple neck

navvid
August 17th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Has anyone here ever finished a maple neck? I ordered a maple Strat neck, and I asked for a flame figured piece. I had originally planned on leaving it all straight up raw, unfinished. I've sanded the finish off one of my other necks and I love it. But now I find myself reconsidering for a couple of reasons. Firstly, a gloss finish provides excellent protection for a solid maple neck, especially in a humid place like SF. Also, I was thinking maybe a gloss finish will bring out the figuring in the wood better than raw or an oil or stain.

The luthier making my neck does not do finishes, but I will have plenty of clear acrylic lacquer left after finishing the body. If I want to spray it with gloss lacquer, should I mask the fretwire? My first thought was to just spray the whole thing over and then polish the lacquer off the fretwires. My luthier buddy seemed to agree that that would work fine, but again, finish is not his specialty. Any thoughts?

deeaa
August 18th, 2010, 03:08 AM
- DO NOT leave it raw, as like you figured out, in time this will have adverse effects for sure. Might be good for even years but at some point it will warp or something. Bare minimum is treating it with beeswax, and properly!

- I have had bad experience with many acrylic lacquers, automotive etc. They dry fast but adding layers makes them surprisingly soft for a long time, so you need to have adequate rests between sprays. Have ended up with the lacquer wearing clear off within a year in spots; sort of rubbing into darkened areas and apparently never having dried well inside. Proper old-style brushed lacquer is much better, but it needs buffing for sure. Dries a week, but then you do get a real thick glossy surface at once.

I have just finished one neck with acrylic lacquer, and on this one I went for - instead of even trying gloss - matte. Did this by spraying very lightly, then using 000 steel wool to remove excess/level the surface, then repeated several times, until it seemed to me there was enough lacquer for certain to protect the wood well enough. So far it feels good and no problems.

And yes, just spray over the frets and clear them later on carefully, apply masking tape to neck surface so the frets only show and use steel wool.

Mind you, I'm no pro by any standard when it comes to finishing, I've just done similar jobs some half a dozen times. May not know what's the best way but at least I know some pitfalls to avoid :-)

navvid
August 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM
- Bare minimum is treating it with beeswax, and properly!

I still have a big block of beeswax... What is your preferred method Deeaa?

Btw, I use a high quality water based artist's acrylic lacquer that is usually meant for brushing. I just cut it with water to thin it, then airbrush it on. Of course this also means it takes longer to dry.

sunvalleylaw
August 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I know nuthink about beeswax or any method of finishing. I will say that I love maple necks, but I love the feel of the satin finish such as is on my strat much better than the feel of the gloss ones I have played or tried out. YMMV.

kiteman
August 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Tru-oil.

marnold
August 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Don't put a gloss finish on it. I say that mainly because I hate glossy necks. I'd tend to agree with kiteman about tru-oil, gun oil, tung oil, etc. It's easy to put on and will keep that nerkid feel. You'll have to redo it every so often, but it's not a biggie.

oldguy
August 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hand rubbed tung oil. You'll like it, I betcha!:thumbsup
Easy to apply, too.:applause

kiteman
August 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Lots of guitarists likes tung-oiled necks. Still feel the wood but sealed.

deeaa
August 18th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I like them all. In the end, most of my guitars have had glossy necks and I like it just fine that way....I don't really have a real clear preference either way. I like a smooth satin roo, but glossy also gives a nice grip and firm feel on the palm. I suppose oiled and waxed I like the least, but wouldn't change that if I had one I gueas.

Kazz
August 19th, 2010, 04:10 AM
if you decide to go with lacquer the proper technique can be found at reranch.com but the gist is 3x3 coats 3 passes makes a coat 3 days in a row then let it hang dry for 30 days. Then you wetsand and buff.

Bloozcat
August 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Tru-Oil or MinWax Wiping Poly.

Either one will give you a thin but decent protective finish.

kiteman
August 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Tru-Oil or MinWax Wiping Poly.

Either one will give you a thin but decent protective finish.

I agree with MiniWax Wiping Poly, I used it on the neck on my Carvin Bolt. Feels good.

K31Scout
August 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I did my Warmoth maple neck with MinWax wipe on Satin Poly. 3 coats with a super fine steel wool rub down between coats. It has a nice feel, not at all like a glossy finish. Warmoth requires a non oil finish for warranty coverage.

I masked off the rosewood finger board with masking tape. For a maple board the wipe on might pool up by the frets, so I'm thinking a spray on might work better for you.

deeaa
August 20th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I have to see if that MinWax is available here, sounds like a really easy and nice way to finish necks...