PDA

View Full Version : Lesson - using chord notes when improvising

Robert
August 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Here is a lesson for using chord tones and arpeggios over a I-IV-I progression (typically the first 4 bars of any blues tune). The lesson also explains that you can pretty much use any of the notes of both the A blues scale and the arpeggios from both the A7 and D7 while improvising over this progression (exception - C# over D7 is a no-no). Hope you find this lesson clear! I could go into more details and ideas on this, but the video turned out to be long enough already.

DbRaebhQeoM

Fretz
August 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Here is a lesson for using chord tones and arpeggios over a I-IV-I progression (typically the first 4 bars of any blues tune). The lesson also explains that you can pretty much use any of the notes of both the A blues scale and the arpeggios from both the A7 and D7 while improvising over this progression (exception - C# over D7 is a no-no). Hope you find this lesson clear! I could go into more details and ideas on this, but the video turned out to be long enough already.

[Removed youtube video]

Robert, What can I say? This is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. Great lesson. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a relatively straight forward idea when explained well (as you sure did), but something that can really make a big difference!

btw, I should also probably mention that this is exactly what Jim (jpfeifer) talked about/advised when he replied to my post...so I've started down this path :)

Thanks guys!

Tig
August 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Super useful, practical lesson with just enough detail and music theory without getting bogged down. You keep getting better and better with your lessons and production, Robert.

I've stumbled upon some of this while playing, but never put it all together in such a useful package.

Oh, and where did your glasses wonder off to? :rolleyes:

Robert
August 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Thankski, glad you likeski.

My glasses? Well, I found a pair of old contact lenses in a drawer. About 5 years old, a bit dried up. I bought some new lens solution and rinsed them up. They're like brand new again! :D I only use them for a couple of hours at the most, just to be safe(er)... ;)

Arpeggios and triads - these are your friends. Know them, use them, abuse them... they make the world of improvising a better place!