PDA

View Full Version : Repair Shop recommendation

Monkus
August 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM
No luck in getting a reliable tech here, so, I've decided to research packing up my Lone Star Strat and shipping it to the US for setup/repair if necessary. I also want to try the Fender Vintage Noiseless pups. The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Bridge pup has a hairline crack across the face so might need to be changed. Position 5 (counting from the bridge) isn't working. At that setting, no sound, so maybe the switch needs to be switched as well. :D

A. recommend a shop?
B. Load everything into a pickguard and ship that?
C. Do it myself with kindergarten soldering skills?
D. Any Fretters up to it?

What would you do? Its weird that I can put more trust in the Fret than a local tech...

Heywood Jablomie
August 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Do it yourself. It's not rocket science. Hell, if I can do it.......

Edit: Incompetent, unreliable and/or overpriced "techs" is probably the main reason so many of us are into DIY. IMO, elecrical soldering isn't much of a skill.

Eric
August 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I think there's something to be said for doing it yourself, but I understand your trepidation. I'm also not so great when it comes to soldering.

I read somewhere on here about this DVD by Terry Downs (http://terrydownsmusic.com/solder_video/soldervideo.html) that's an intro to soldering. I got it and watched it, and it's a very good primer on how to effectively solder. I feel much more confident in my abilities now, so if you choose the DIY route, you might want to consider it.

Monkus
August 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I like the Strat too much to risk effing it to Mars and back. I also want to concentrate on playing, rather than DIY. With my personality, if I start doing that, it wont stop, next it'll be amps, Christmas lights, time machine...

Setups, intonation, not a problem, the less headache the better. There are too many chords and solos hiding from me at this point.

otaypanky
August 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM
It may be a bit intimidating at first thought but I would think it was within your abilities to do it yourself successfully. There is a lot of information on the web that would point you in the right direction. Fender has a set up guide for strats posted on their website to help you through all of the neck, string height, and pickup adjustments. Seymour Duncan has a lot of wiring diagrams and there may also be some on Fender's site. And you can also find tips on proper soldering technique out there on the web. You don't need a lot in the way of tools. Some allen wrenches, a feeler gauge found at automotive supply shops, screwdrivers and a socket if you work on the input jack, and a decent quality soldering iron or soldering station. Weller has a nice adjustable temp soldering station for not a lot of $. There's also a book by Dale Erlwhine or something like that that goes thorugh a lot of what you want to do. Working on your own guitar has it's rewards.

mapka
August 21st, 2010, 07:11 PM
I guess i am lucky. I found a luthier that is great and doesn't charge an arm and a leg. most of the electronics I can handle myself, but when it comes to adjustments and working with the wood I will let that to a pro.

syo
August 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Incompetent, unreliable and/or overpriced "techs" is probably the main reason so many of us are into DIY. IMO, elecrical soldering isn't much of a skill.

That's my story too. After taking guitars to 2 different techs and getting them back pretty much the same or worse, I was pushed to learn.

I am not genetically predisposed to "tinkering" but found that electric guitar setup/repair is not some mysterious art and most procedures can be performed by almost anyone with proper study, tools and preparation. It does require some time of course but when I think of the wasted time and frustration I've experienced relying on someone else, I am glad I took the effort. Learning to solder and swapping pups are especially easy things to learn.

Note: I started learning on a cheap guitar to build my confidence before attempting to tackle a perpetually problematic Am Dlx Strat (the instrument which pushed me to self-teching). Strat is now how it should have been all along. :dude

Monkus
August 26th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Many Many thanks for all the replies...

I'm going to jump in. Took the strat to another guy and now the switch isn't working at all. I know I'm motivated enough now. Anyways a lot of the kids in the group have some irritating guitar annoyances that I know I can fix with proper research. I'll let you know how it goes...

DeanEVO_Dude
August 26th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Well, since the switch ain't workin', guess you gotta do something 'bout it...

You were willing to ship the guitar to the US, save the money, find a cheap (do they have Pawn Shops there?), beater guitar, practice on that. Doesn't matter how it sounds, you didn't buy it for that, just get some parts, mod the heck out of it, all the while, practicing your soldering skills. Its gotta be cheaper than sending it from Europe to the US! Lots and lots of resources on the internet, "how to's", etc.

Monkus
August 26th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I don't know if its a beater but...I have my eyes on a Squier Deluxe, Vintage or a Classic Vibe that should be in my grimy hands by next Wednesday. A good friend of mine will be in GC in Miami on Monday and I gave him enough $$$ for it. Then I'll take my time with the Lone Star.

Stop it.... you're reading my mind...

:D