PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Use This Yet??

Rockybluejazz
August 19th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I found this http://www.guitarscratchremover.com/index.html doing a search on well you gussed it. Removing scratches from my guitar. Anybody have any expierance with this stuff? Check out the videos. They never actually say whats in it. It looks too good to be true. Yet I'm very intrigued.

Kazz
August 20th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I think it is one of those products that fills in clear coat scratches for a temporary time....like those color match waxes that came out years ago for your car. Won't do any harm to the finish but won't really be fixing the problem either.

Spudman
August 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I use Meguires Scratch X and have had great results. It's available at automotive stores and hardware stores. Some other products are often not as effective or can be some gimmick just to get money from unsuspecting newbie guitarists.

ZMAN
August 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I have had some experience with clear coat auto finishes. From what I can see it looks as if this is a fine rubbing compound and then a polishing compound. It is better known as swirl remover. What you are actually doing is polishing out and levelling the coating on the guitar. The second one takes out any fine scratches and is a glaze.
This is some wax filling as well and the scratches will be there but be less noticable for a while. When the wax wears off you will see them. It all depends on how deep they are and how much you buff them with the initial compound.
I use similar products on my Muscle cars but I use a buffer.

Rockybluejazz
August 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I decided to check out the local auto store to see what they had. They didn't have the Sratch X. But they did have Mothers California Gold Scratch Remover. So I gave it a shot. It took a lot of applications like 5 or 6. But after each one I saw a little improvement. I rather have it that way then the alternitive. I don't know what the last owner used to clean this guitar with. I think he used his hair brush. With that said, I am pleased with the reults. It didn't completely remove all of them. But it sure made me a lot more comfortable with what was left. I'm not usally this picky, OK I am. It's just that the rest of the finsh was so nice. It made he other stuff pop out. Now it looks very nice. Like I own it. Now I just have to decide between legend,Professrs Green and Virtuousso or??? For regular use. any suggestions?? Thanks again to all that took the time to post. You guys rock!

Spudman
August 20th, 2010, 07:22 PM
This is my Pro Tone before removing the scratches with Scratch X

Notice all the scratches by the upper horn
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/ProTone.jpg

After Scratch X

Hardly any visible scratches even up close
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/ProTone017-1.jpg

Rockybluejazz
August 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Nice results! I also really like the pickgaurd. I have been debating about going with one of those on my G&L. They could have been soul brothers. Here's http://picasaweb.google.com/108024738440508847873/GLPics?authkey=Gv1sRgCKrw6vi8ocqZjgE# A before and after. Thanks for posting your pics.

Spudman
August 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Nice Legacy Rocky.

Rockybluejazz
August 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM
Nice Legacy Rocky. Thanks. I'm really enjoying it.

Pickngrin
August 23rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
Spud - Do you use the original Scratch X or Scratch X 2.0? I have some 2.0 that I picked up awhile back, but haven't used it yet.

gordy_sg_no1
October 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
I use Meguires Scratch X and have had great results. It's available at automotive stores and hardware stores. Some other products are often not as effective or can be some gimmick just to get money from unsuspecting newbie guitarists.

meguires is who makes ferraris care stuff. i use the scratch X followed by a good coat of carnuba wax, cos that stops it happening again :AOK
as this guy says theres alot of cheap crud on the market so beware there trying to get your money