PDA

View Full Version : LesPaul-type retrofit trems anyone?

deeaa
August 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I have GAS for a trem guitar.

None of those steady ones either, but a proper floating trem that can be slapped for those 'bwvwvanggg' sounds so that the trem keeps trembling after being slapped, etc...all kinds of tricks a trem can do.

SO I have a question...what about these retrofit Schaller etc. ones? Like:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/stetsbar_pro_ii_tremolo_chrome.htm

Would there be ANY sense in fitting my Flying-V with something like this - I know, it'd be cheaper to just buy a used Ibanez or old Jackson or something - but it'd be a fun project.

BUT do these work anything like a proper floyd does? OR are they more like strat trems?

Katastrophe
August 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM
I dunno, Dee, but it looks like these might be designed for more of a Bigsby type tremolo effect, rather than the "flutter" that you described.

But then again, I've never used one, so I could be completely wrong.

deeaa
August 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM
yeah, that's what I worry..for me, now, that flutter is just what I crave...

pes_laul
August 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hmm Im not sure but a floating trem (or atleast one like your talking about) should come with a locking nut for tuning stability and what not.

That looks like it would be more like a strat style trem

deeaa
August 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yeaj, probably. I guess I really need be looking to swap or buy a real floyd axe.

pes_laul
August 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Yeaj, probably. I guess I really need be looking to swap or buy a real floyd axe.
If I was to ever get another trem guitar it would be one of these http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=501161&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=290601786

purty sweet

marnold
August 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'd say to look for a Japanese Jackson. Granted, I'm biased, but the JT580LP trem is actually pretty good. I can flutter like a madman with it. If you decide you hate it, an Original Floyd Rose or a Gotoh Floyd is a direct drop-in. The advantage of the mid-level Jacksons as opposed to an Ibanez is that the Jacksons have bona fide Duncans in them. I didn't like the Ibanez pickups very much, although Spud has a couple that he likes them in.

I don't know what the prices are like on them in Finland but every so often Guitar Center will sell Japanese Jacksons for ridiculously low prices. For example, I got mine for $299. Heck, it would cost you $130 just to buy the Jazz/JB pickup combo!

I do, however, like the looks of this particular Ibanez:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1550M-Electric-Guitar?sku=501362

Commodore 64
August 22nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
I am really loving my '93 Jackson Soloist Pro, I retrofitted a Goth FR bridge to it. Took some work, but it's plays really, really nice now.

But yeah, something to be aware of, is that OFR and Gotohs, might not be drop in replacements on Jacksons.

deeaa
August 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Mm, yeah those Jacksons look good. I had a real nice one from 90's not long ago. I guess I must look for used ones when I do, though...