PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Which Strat to get?

cedwards
August 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
I've been looking at Strats and thinking about getting one but there are so many to choose from. Any thoughts on the right one for a classic rock kind of player who wants a basic but well-made guitar. I'm assuming MIA but, within that, where do I point?

Katastrophe
August 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
If you're gonna spend the coin that an American Strat demands, I'd recommend just starting at the Highway One and moving up from there. You may be surprised. I love the neck and frets of the H1.

I wouldn't count out some of the higher end MIM models, though, like the Deluxe Player's Strat, etc.

Also, take a look at G and L. I've played a used American ASAT recently, and it was completely awesome.

Heywood Jablomie
August 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
The WORLD has been raving about the Squier CVs. Sposed to be a lotta guitar for short change.

Tig
August 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
I must agree with both Kat and Heywood.
They stole my thoughts!

cedwards
August 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
That's a very helpful start. Thanks, guys!:goodjob

cedwards
August 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Wow! You get your head past the anti-Squier bias and I see what you mean. People love the CVs, indeed! Sweet-looking guits, too. Think I'm partial to the 50s one but we'll see.

Think I'll head down to Long and McQuade and muck around with a couple of those. Thanks again for the great steering: maybe I'll just save me a ton 'o' bucks!

Spudman
August 21st, 2010, 07:01 PM
I'll echo the suggestions by Tig and Heywood. They are good guitars.

If I was looking for the 'be all end all' of American Strats I'd get the Clapton Strat. It's a very well built versatile machine. This is if money is not an issue. If it is you'll be hard pressed to find a better guitar than the 50's Classic Vibe Squier. They are very affordable and superbly made.

There really are so many different models of Strats that you really just need to shop around and try a LOT of them and find one that really speaks and connects with you. That will be a much safer investment. You'll have little or no remorse down the road after you purchase it.

Tig
August 22nd, 2010, 12:57 AM
Wow! You get your head past the anti-Squier bias and I see what you mean. People love the CVs, indeed! Sweet-looking guits, too. Think I'm partial to the 50s one but we'll see.

Think I'll head down to Long and McQuade and muck around with a couple of those. Thanks again for the great steering: maybe I'll just save me a ton 'o' bucks!

I'd suggest you A/B the CV 50's and 60's Strat's. I was thinking 60's before I demo'ed any, but the 50's won me over. The 60's have AlNiCo V's and the 50's have AlNiCo III. The only other difference is the necks. I found some variation in quality among the CV Strat's, so pay attention to the fret ends.

Spud mentioned the Clapton signature Strat at the upper end, which must be something special since it is Pete Townshend's go-to Strat. I've also heard that the Eric Johnson sig Strat is a great one as well.

MAXIFUNK
August 22nd, 2010, 01:32 AM
CV'S
DELUXE PLAYER'S
AMERICAN SPECIALS

ALL depends on your budget.
I have been blessed to have a new American Deluxe SSS on loan for awhile now. GREAT DOES NOT GIVE IT ALL THE CREDIT IT DESERVES BUT THEY ARE NOT CHEAP!!!! THIS ONE COST MY FRIEND $1350.00 ON SALE

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=423685

HE also bought the HHS version which he won't let out of his sight.
LUCKY STIFF ALSO PICKED UP CUSTOM CHARVEL JUST 2 WEEKS AGO.
So, I hope he forgets all about the axe he loaned me. LOL

otaypanky
August 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Where do you want to stay price wise?

bigG
August 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
My 2 cents:

I have an '09 MIM Standard HSS, and I love it! The American Special series is not worth $300 more - same pups as the MIMs (Texas Specials) and pretty much the same guitar near as I can tell. (Try for an '09 or later, 'cause they really improved the trem block and neck finish on the MIMs in '09.)

Haven't played a CV, but if ya like it, save $ and go for it.

When it comes to American Standard and up (Deluxe, Clapton, Eric Johnson [which I didn't care for at all]), unless you, personally, find a HUGE difference in fit, finish, playability, tone, etc...that's worth the much higher price tag, I'd pass on all that lot.

Happy hunting, and remember, unless Made in the USA, or having a higher-priced "name recognition" ax is important to you, save ALOT of $ and go with '09 or later MIM or the much-loved CV 50's Squier.

ZMAN
August 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
I have a bunch of Strats and it really depends on what your budget is. The CVs are nice for the 400 range Can. The Deluxe by Squier is also another nice Strat in two colors only though. Be aware that the Deluxe Player Strat has a 12 in radius ont he neck similar to a Gibson LP. Also you can get some Strats with a 7.25 radius in the true Vintage strats that is almost too round. Most have the 9.5 radius. Also pickups are a big factor. Noiseless, SCN, Vintage. The US made strats are a lot of money compared to a Squier or MIM but you get excellent electronics and most have noiseless pickups with the S1 swtich that gets you multiple pickup combos on top of your 5 way switch.
Cases included. They can run another 100 to 200 for a decent case.
Most MIAs will hold their value pretty well, and usually have less issues than the budget brands.
I would head ouot to your local shop and try a few out. Ask for the price out the door. You may be shocked at the price of a MIA. Take a good look at the offerings from Mexico. They have a lot of nice special editions with better pckups than the stock ceramics from MIMS.

marnold
August 22nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Some of the Showmasters might appeal to you. They are (generally) Korean made and at least somewhat non-traditional. The one I had was quite untraditional with one humbucker, set neck, 24 frets, 16+" radius, and a hardtail. They don't tend to hold their value as well as an MIA Strat, which is bad for an investment but awesome for buying used.

Monkus
August 24th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'm seriously looking at a Squier as well. As noted before, my Lone star strat needs some TLC. I'm having a difficult time deciding between the Squier Deluxe, Squier CV 50's and the Squier Vintage modified. Everytime I decide on the CV 50 I see the Daphne Blue/Pearl White Deluxe and the agonizing starts again.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I am going to put a plug in for my guitar (not mine personally, but the model). It is a 2006 60th Anniversary Standard (MIM) strat. You would have to find one used.

The reason I throw it out there is because I think that this model was a really well made guitar. I test drove Highway Ones, have tried it against other American mades (including a Jeff Beck sig guitar), and against other MIMs. I rated it for me higher than the H1s, did not think regular MIAs were worth spending more for, and likewise for the Jeff Beck model. It was nice, but I liked mine just as well. It's pickups are tex mex, and I personally like that sound. I also thought it was head and shoulders above the regular MIMs.

I have not tried the CV guitars, but I guess they are nice too. By ear on the vids, I liked the 60s model (pups are more like mine) but a lot here seem to prefer the 50s model. I would say get a list of good candidates, then use your own ear for what you like to hear, and your own fingers for what you like to feel. You will find the right one. That is how I found mine. Good luck in shopping!

MAXIFUNK
August 24th, 2010, 02:10 PM
My 2 cents:
I have an '09 MIM Standard HSS, and I love it! The American Special series is not worth $300 more - same pups as the MIMs (Texas Specials) and pretty much the same guitar near as I can tell. (Try for an '09 or later, 'cause they really improved the trem block and neck finish on the MIMs in '09.)

Big G the American Specials do not share the same pups as the MIM Strats.

Straight from the Fender site
Standard Fender MIM
Pickup Configuration: H/S/S
Bridge Pickup: Standard Humbucking Pickup
Middle Pickup: Standard Single-Coil Strat® Middle Pickup
Neck Pickup: Standard Single-Coil Strat® Neck Pickup

HSS versions are as follows:

Atomic &Tex Mex pups on the older HWY1 more recent ones have
atomic & Hot single Coils

Atomic & Texas Spec. on Am Spec.

Diamond Back & TEX MEX on AM Stand

Atomic & N3'S on AM Deluxe

Since I have the the American Special HSS and chose it over the MIM for many reasons better neck, better pups, and Grease bucket tone setup and it sounded and play better to my ears. I highly recommend all 3 American Special Guitars.

otaypanky
August 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have a Custom Shop Strat Pro I may be putting up for sale. According to the Custom Shop, the Pro is a combination of some of the most frequently requested features. If you have any interest let me know.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0015-1.jpg

bigG
August 24th, 2010, 04:10 PM
MAXI,

My apologies. You are correct. I was going on info given to me by my local Fender dealer recently, as I, too, was possibly interested in trading up, and it was he who gave me the bogus info re: the pups and said that the only trade-up that would really be noticeably better than my MIM was the American Standard. The reality is that the MIM Standard Strat is loaded w Tex Mex pups, and the American Special with Texas Specials (as you pointed out), as I just verified by calling my local dealer...he called the Fender rep...got it straight, and just called me back w the corrected info.

My mistake, my error, my fault...but I thought I was given correct info from my dealer when I wrote that. (No need in going into the bridge HB, as I was mainly interested in correcting the single-coil snafu.) I hope no harm was done in anyone's decision-making. In the end, trust your ears and the tone that you like, eh...

This has just not been my day. It's sucked so far and now this. There is really no excuse for putting forward incorrect info like I did, and I'm beating myself up for doing it. I am REALLY glad you caught my error and that the corrected info is now available.

G

oldguy
August 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
You might check for used MIA Roadhouse Strats. I snagged two, paid $575 each, and they're much better than the new MIM version, IMO.
The asking price is usually higher, but a motivated seller will part with them if you watch and wait.

MAXIFUNK
August 25th, 2010, 12:28 AM
MAXI,

My apologies. You are correct. I was going on info given to me by my local Fender dealer recently, as I, too, was possibly interested in trading up, and it was he who gave me the bogus info re: the pups and said that the only trade-up that would really be noticeably better than my MIM was the American Standard. The reality is that the MIM Standard Strat is loaded w Tex Mex pups, and the American Special with Texas Specials (as you pointed out), as I just verified by calling my local dealer...he called the Fender rep...got it straight, and just called me back w the corrected info.

My mistake, my error, my fault...but I thought I was given correct info from my dealer when I wrote that. (No need in going into the bridge HB, as I was mainly interested in correcting the single-coil snafu.) I hope no harm was done in anyone's decision-making. In the end, trust your ears and the tone that you like, eh...

This has just not been my day. It's sucked so far and now this. There is really no excuse for putting forward incorrect info like I did, and I'm beating myself up for doing it. I am REALLY glad you caught my error and that the corrected info is now available.

G
NO WORRIES ITS NOT A BIG DEAL
I just wanted to put the correct info in the thread and share my love of American Special Guitars. Besides I am sure I've misquoted something here before. CHEERS bigG

barber76
August 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM
If you aren't very strict on Fender logo, then you can order Carvin Bolt with lots of options. (mmm, stainless steel frets and Sperzel locking tuners :drool )
The sound may differ from Fenders because of pickups, but should be pretty close - after all, it's still single coil bolt-on guitar with your choice of wood.

kidsmoke
August 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
what are the differences between the American Standard and a Highway One? Are these not both the base USA made??

cedwards
August 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks again, all. So much good advice . . . maybe too much which was the original issue. Now I've got some great pointers to shop with. Haven't really set a budget yet. This is early stage pondering GAS. Just didn't know where to start. Now I do and what I have learned is MIA is not the be all, end all. So, as many said, I think I'll save some dollars and still make myself happy.

Meanwhile . . . more happy research for me!:thankyou

deeaa
August 26th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Well, all MIA strats I've played of late have been great guitars indeed, which is not at all what I found to be the case in the early 90s at least around here...these days it's the Gibsons that have plenty of lemons...

But anyway I'm quite taken by the Squire Classic Player neck I have, it's a DAMNED good guitar neck indeed. If I were looking for a strat just now I'd at least check them out and consider a pickup upgrade. On which I can't comment, I use EMG humbuckers on all my strats...:spank I just don't play stuff that those strat singles work with well.

Andy
September 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
If i were to get annother strat I would get an esp 400 series from ebay ...they run in the $450-650 range and blow a current american strat out of the water.

I had the chance to try a few and was so impressed that I purchased a new esp vintage plus. ( a reintroduction of the highly reviered 400 series ).

it's custom shop quality without the custom shop price

Duffy
September 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I'd say if you want a real good modern rock type strat that it would be a good idea to check out one of those new double humbucker Black Top strats.

That Black with rosewood neck Black Top strat is really cool looking to me, and if they actually have "hot" humbuckers, it would be an awesome rock guitar, without doubt; and, be able to handle high gain without a lot of irritating noise, unlike the single coil equipped strats, even in the noise cancelling postitions. The Black Top could be an awesome strat for 445 dollars.

The standard strats are really great for the traditional strat sound, but not necessarily for the heavy modern sounds. As far as a traditional strat I'd also suggest a Squier Classic Vibe or if the headstock name is a turn off, get a Fender Roadhouse or Lone Star, both great MIM guitars, really great; and not too expensive.