PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the good Wahs gone?

6stringdrug
August 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Ok, I'm just curious if there is still a decent wah to be had under $75 anywhere. I know tone is in the ear of the beholder but I am getting discouraged with the wahs I keep trying in my price range. Lucky for me I buy and try off ebay so a failed experiment usually doesnt cost me much if anything but time and aggravation. I have tried in the last 6 months, in no particular order, vox v847, v847a, dunlop, gcb95, gcb95f, jh1, jh1a, morley bad horsey, bad horsey 2. The closest to the tone Im looking for was the bad horsey 2, but i hated the switchless operation, drove me bonkers. The voxs bottom out way to quick, and I have just given up on the dunlops altogether. I have a fender fuzz-wah on the way next to try. Im not so much looking for advice as I am just *****in! I think it would be impossible to describe the tone i want, like my next ex wife, Ill know her when i find her!

Sound off!:digit

otaypanky
August 22nd, 2010, 11:01 PM
You might look up a Whipple kit on eBay. A guy named Mike sells them. It's a kit to mod the sounds of the standard Cry Baby. I installed a kit in one and it sounded pretty good to me. You can get a pot, an inductor, some different resistors to experiment with for different voices, and a true by pass switch. You don't have to do it all, you can do just some of the mods. He has some sound clips out there as I recall, look around on eBay and YouTube

Robert
August 22nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
The standard Cry Baby is great. I love mine.

Bloozcat
August 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
It's a shame that the Roger Mayer Red Lion Wah mod kit isn't available any longer. It is a drop in kit for a std. Dunlop Cry Baby that replaces the whole circuit board. Changes an ok sounding Cry Baby to the kind of 60's Wah tone everyone is looking for. Mine was $85.00 when I bought it.

I don't know why it was discontinued...must not have sold enough. Now it's a classic because you can't get them anymore.

msteeln
August 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
This has gotten rave reviews and may be for you, but beyond your limited price range... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHkJizw9sIg

Bloozcat
August 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
If you still have your Cry Baby this guy sells drop-in kits for $80.00. The Wah Mod #1 You Tube video on the site sounds pretty good.

Getting what you want for $75.00 may be wishful thinking, unless you find a steal deal on a used one somewhere.

http://www.fjamods.com/WahMods.html

6stringdrug
August 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
steel, i like the JC model dunlop, just a little too metal for my taste. My buddy has one a swears by it. IMHO it sounds great with distortion but not so hot with the overdrive I usually use. Blooze, my problem may just have been solved, just got a budda budwah, pre peavey, off ebay for $80! I played one a few years back and was blown away, but the $170 price tag always scared me off. My budget is determined by my patience (of which I have none) and I usually keep it low so a failed experiment won't keep food off the table. I am down to just my vox v847, the fender fuzz wah should be here by thurs and hopefully I have the budda by fri or sat. One of my buddies wants the fender for price paid, so problem solved there. Ill probably go frankenstein on the vox now, just for kicks. Keep sounding off guys, I love to read about other peoples setups!

msteeln
August 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Congrats druggie, score! I'll have to check that out just by your tone pov.

6stringdrug
August 23rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
msteel, when it gets here, Ill be sure to write about how it sounds. the fender too!

6stringdrug
August 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM
OK, both the fender fuzz wah and budda budwah came the same day, on the same truck no less!!! Here is my quick review. The fender wah was a little weak for my taste by itself, but when I kicked in the fuzz...look out! what a great tone!!! I almost kept it! The fuzz alone was also not so hot. The combo together was so jimi-esque! My main issue with it id the foot adjustable volume control, as your foot sweeps from left to right, the volume increases, to me, kind of a pain in the @$$! And it wasnt stable enough for me to live with. My buddy who bought it off of me, loves it! He said it took him a couple hours to get the feel, (it also is fulcrumed much further back on the heel than most other wahs) but it gave him 3 pedals in one and works great with the punk/metal he plays.

The Budda budwah! pre peavey! Found on EBAY for $80+ shipping. WOW!WOW! not so much WAH!WAH!.. I love it!!! full tonal sweep, doesnt dive off into a tonal black hole at the heel and not as screechy as voxs or dunlops at the toe. Alot of times I use a matchbook and keep the wah set at just a touch south of full toe for a whole song and this is my tone!! For the price I paid, there is nothing I've played better for me. And I emphasize FOR ME. Your results may vary....no two axemen have the same ear. It plays just like the dunlops and voxs we are all used to so that is a big plus for me, and just sound like butta!!!! I wont have to keep searching for my wah tone for a long time. Now, if I find a RMC or area 51 down the road at a good price, I might jump on it, but I wont break myself trying to find it!

My vox 847 just became my newest project.......fun with soldering! HEHEHE! Keep on rockin y'all!:poke

guitardragon
August 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM
The "good wahs" haven't gone anywhere, they just cost more than $75. Do yourself a favor and save up more money and get a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah. Don't bet on finding a used one since I, like others, will not part with mine. The time and money you save on modding a lesser wah and looking for a "bargain" will be better spent playing Clapton and hendrix songs with your Clyde. You can get cheap or you can get great, but usually not both.

'03 Gibson ES-345 RI
’03 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst)
Schecter California Custom Hellcat
Squier Bullet/Seymour Duncan HB/LockingTuners
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic
Hohner ECA 612 12-String Acoustic