PDA

View Full Version : Easy Songs for a Newbie

Bassman uk
August 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hello To All,
I'm looking for some help. I have played Bass guitar for about 10 years and I'm new to 6 string Guitars what sort of songs do people reccommend for some one like me to learn? :dance

Eric
August 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Funny, I was just looking at this for songs to work on with a teen I know. I thought "Let It Be" would be a good one. Four chords and you're there.

If others have good suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Bassman uk
August 23rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Thanx For the idea will look at tab.

marnold
August 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
What kind of music do you like?

Bassman uk
August 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
What kind of music do you like?

Hiya Marnold Mostly Classic rock/rock and blue's rock:dude

Eric
August 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
What chords do you know? There are a ton of songs that can be transposed to G, but you wouldn't be able to play along to the recordings then.

"A Horse With No Name" is probably the easiest song I've ever played.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Funny, I was just looking at this for songs to work on with a teen I know. I thought "Let It Be" would be a good one. Four chords and you're there.

How are you doing on the timing on that one Eric? I like that song and tried it last night. A good one, but you have to rip through three chords between verses as a transition.

Brown eyed girl, most any Eagles song (Hotel California, Peaceful Easy Feeling), Jimmy Buffet songs, lots of others like that are good for beginner fodder as well.

Slower Pearl Jam (Crazy Mary for instance), If I had a Million Dollars, by Bare Naked Ladies, Keep on Rockin in the Freeworld, and many other Neil Young songs. Some of the acoustic Neil songs have some funky rhythm things you have to watch out for.

I am sure there are many others. If I had my first few years to do over again, I would keep the material easier (rather than reach for this or that song I wanted to learn), and work more closely with a metronome in addition to backing tracks or playing with songs, to really nail down my timing and accuracy.

Eric
August 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
How are you doing on the timing on that one Eric? I like that song and tried it last night. A good one, but you have to rip through three chords between verses as a transition.
Well, the kid I picked it out for still has trouble making the C chord (I transposed it to G to make it easier for him), so it was slow going. I just chopped out those quick chords at the end of the verse, since it sounds fine without them.

One of my favorite songs to learn when I was starting was "Wonderwall" by Oasis. SUPER simple, since you can just lock in your pinky and ring finger on the third frets and leave them there. The only challenging part was the strumming pattern.

Monkus
August 24th, 2010, 07:37 PM
you can go here to the beginner page: http://spytunes.com/acoustic-guitar/beginner-lessons/intro-beginner-lessons.html

or scroll down here:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-000-SongsTAB.php

and last but definitely not least, to get your blues on from our forum guru Robert (again, scroll down) Choose your level of difficulty:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/

Hope that helps! :dude

deeaa
August 25th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Creedence Clearwater Revival has super simple songs that however are great for practicing rhythm and ways of picking. Work also both on acoustic and electric. No need for tabs either, just chord markings suffice, and make you think a little how they must be played. 'Born on the Bayou' for instance has basically a single chord picked in various ways and GREAT rhythm exercise.

Most any old beatles song is good basic training as well.

If you're wanting to go heavy, old Judas Priest and Sabbath are good places to start.

Presto
August 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM
The first song I ever learned how to play was Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions. lol

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM

I figured out a good beginner's workaround to those transitional chords. You can do a walk down from the G chord, playing B on the A string second fret then open A string to the C chord. That would be a good beginner intro concept in itself.

metallicafan794
September 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Smoke on the Water's intro is fairly easy...