PDA

View Full Version : Fender FM-63S Mandolin

Brian Krashpad
August 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hi kids. I guess I could have put this in the "Fender" forum, but it's not about an electric instrument, or in "Acoustics," but it's not a guitar either, so here it is.

As some of you know I'm a beginner mando player. I play in church and in a folk rock/Americana band, basically just chording along. Mandolin is my third instrument after guitar and bass, and I've only been playing mandolin about a year. No lessons, just trying to teach myself at this point (have neither time nor dosh for lessons, alas).

Anyhow, I may have a chance to pick up a used Sunburst Fender FM-63S, like this:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/2/8/0/268280.jpg

W/case, for $225. These seem to "street" for $600, with a MSRP of $774, so $225 seems like a good deal. Also, it would give me an F-style body, whereas my 2 current mandos (both electric-acoustic) are frypans. I could probably sell one of my current mandos and get a Benjamin out of it, so I'd be almost halfway there.

Do you think this is a good deal? Also, since both my current mandolins are electrified, do you think there would be any problems with mic'ing this? The church band uses electric drums and everyone goes to the board, and we have no problems mic'ing a flute, so I'd tend to think it'd be fine, but my "knowledge" of mandolins is virtually non-existent. My folk rock/Americana band is a bit louder, but does not use a full drum kit, just a mic'd djembe, so it's not as loud as most rock bands at all. (The guitarist/slide player and bassist use small stage amps but everyone goes to board there too.) I'd hate to buy a mandolin and not be able to use it in my bands!

Thanks for anything you can tell me!

street music
August 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Krash,
I have heard a couple of guys playing these at Front Porch Pickin and they do sound alright. I usually just set them up a good instrument mic and let them play into it, the volume level of these is not as loud as I have heard other brands but most brands vary a lot anyway. It sounds like an alright price if you can use it.