PDA

View Full Version : Coffee - how do you brew?

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Just had to order a new coffee maker. We had been using a Meliita Grind and Brew that I loved. Good coffee, could use whole beans, and set it to start automatically. It broke, and they don't make them anymore, so I just had to order a Cuisinart Grind and Brew.

While we have been waiting, I am using the old french press. Not a bad way to go either, though I prefer good drip coffee.

How do you brew? :hungry

Heywood Jablomie
August 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I've been using an electric percolator for many years. It's really fast (a cup a minute) and makes really hot coffee.

Brian Krashpad
August 25th, 2010, 08:52 AM
We have drip coffee makers at the office and Casa Krashpad. At work we use the pre-ground packets. At home we sometimes fresh grind whole beans (we have a separate grinder) but more often use pre-ground coffee.

Robert
August 25th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I have lots of tips on my coffee website - www.bestcoffeenews.com !

Use good quality coffee, freshly roasted and freshly ground
Use fresh, clean, cold water. Filtered or bottled water works well, but avoid distilled or softened water.
The grind chosen must be of the correct fineness for the chosen brewing method.
The pot should be cleaned and warm.
Make only enough coffee for your immediate needs. The coffee will deteriorate if you keep it too long. Avoid reheating coffee, it just doesn't taste the same.
Avoid boiling brewed coffee - it is a sure way to spoil the coffee.
Use approximately 70 grams of coffee per litre of water.

Bloozcat
August 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Several months back I bought a programmable Cuisinart coffee pot. It died just after the warranty ran out (took 45 minutes to brew a half pot). I then bought some other expensive brand of programmable coffee pot (can't recall what brand) and it was DOA, never worked.

Figuring that multiple function electronics are just too much for Chinese manufacturing capabilities, I went to WalMart and bought a simple, on/off, made in China, Mr. Coffee pot for $16.00. Has worked like a charm going on 6-months now. I load it up the night before and simply push the button in the morning.

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I have lots of tips on my coffee website - www.bestcoffeenews.com !

Use good quality coffee, freshly roasted and freshly ground
Use fresh, clean, cold water. Filtered or bottled water works well, but avoid distilled or softened water.
The grind chosen must be of the correct fineness for the chosen brewing method.
The pot should be cleaned and warm.
Make only enough coffee for your immediate needs. The coffee will deteriorate if you keep it too long. Avoid reheating coffee, it just doesn't taste the same.
Avoid boiling brewed coffee - it is a sure way to spoil the coffee.
Use approximately 70 grams of coffee per litre of water.

LOL!! :thumbsup I did not know or forgot you had a coffee site. I knew you loved coffee!

Blooz, I hope this one is better. I considered going with a basic pot and grinding each time (I like grinding it fresh) but I really liked the convenience of just pouring the beans and water in and it doing the rest in the morning. If it takes a long time to brew, I will send it back and get a new grinder (that died a while back too) and a melitta style filter basic pot.

Eric
August 25th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I actually never started drinking coffee, and I still don't. I feel kind of weird and sometimes disconnected from society, not drinking coffee. Still, I figure it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I did drink soda for a number of years to get some caffeine, but recently I gave that up too, and it hasn't been too bad transition-wise.

Coffee seems like a fun hobby, but I just never really had a need to start.

Commodore 64
August 25th, 2010, 12:52 PM
We use a French Press. Brew 4 cups every morning, which is enough for 1 mug for me 1 mug for the wife.

I use half and half or heavy cream, and 1T. ground coffee per cup in the press. Brew for 4 minutes.

poodlesrule
August 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
LOL, I am disappointed, as I expected some folks to come and provide a dissertation on proper grinding methods, (expensive) hardware, and details on the all-important pour..!

Edit to clarify: I just heard, or read about the above, I do not practice any of it.

Commodore 64
August 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I use whatever coffee is on sale, and pre ground for drip machines, so that's blasphemy, I'm sure.

Monkus
August 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM
On the wagon ... instant decaf for me ... (ducking)

omegadot
August 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I use a basic Mr. Coffee that I had all through college. I like my coffee efficient. Quick and dark.

Rockermann
August 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Half-Caf drip grind through a De’Longhi coffee maker. Black. Nothing special.

Bloozcat
August 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM
LOL!! :thumbsup I did not know or forgot you had a coffee site. I knew you loved coffee!

Blooz, I hope this one is better. I considered going with a basic pot and grinding each time (I like grinding it fresh) but I really liked the convenience of just pouring the beans and water in and it doing the rest in the morning. If it takes a long time to brew, I will send it back and get a new grinder (that died a while back too) and a melitta style filter basic pot.

I have a 20 year old Krupps electric grinder too, but I only use it with "special" coffee. I buy the 40oz bag of whole bean Starbucks French Roast at BJ's wholesale. They have a grinder right there in the store, so I just grind it up before bringing it home. The finest setting called "Turkish" works best, I've found. It seems to capture more of the flavor than a coarser grind does.

I was really disappointed in, and quite miffed with, the "bigger name" machines I bought. It's a shame that Krupps, Braun, Cuisinart, Melitta, et al, choose to live off their reputations for quality as they sell inferior products made in China and Mexico. Sadly, it's life in the 21st century...

redgibson
August 25th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I usually have the alarm clockable grind+brew kind but at the office or when i am not making lots of cofffee: these things are simple as anything and cheap. grind coffee, boil water, pour through (once? twice? three times? ) it will ... be very strong. and delicious. :-)

http://www.espresso-machines-and-coffee-makers.com/vietnamese-coffee-maker.html

sumitomo
August 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM
On the wagon ... instant decaf for me ... (ducking)

Monkus just switch over to Ganga Tea,:thumbsup you'll be:happy :digit :dance Sumi:D

guitarhack
August 25th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Mr. Coffee makes mine.

vroomery
August 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I agree 100% with Robert on coffee preferences. I actually got into roasting my own coffee. It's definitely a cheap option once you get the stuff.

Used bread maker - 10 bucks
Heat Gun 1000 degrees f - 25 new, 10-15 used
Green Coffee - ~$5 /lb at Sweet Maria's (http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php)

My preferred brewing method is with a burr grinder and an aeropress (http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm) or clever coffee dripper (http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filtercones/clever-dripper-with-lid.html)

BigJD
August 25th, 2010, 05:16 PM
We use a French Press. Brew 4 cups every morning, which is enough for 1 mug for me 1 mug for the wife.

I use half and half or heavy cream, and 1T. ground coffee per cup in the press. Brew for 4 minutes.

This. A clean press and your favorite bean blend,not too fine of grind.Coffee heaven!

You got to look around for beans though,support your local roaster and he may make you a blend and name it after you!
They call my blend Stiff Blend after my band. 60% Sumatra ,40% Kenya, pretty dark but not esspreso dark.YUMMY!

FusedGrooves
August 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I like Irish Breakfast . . . .TEA!!!! :D

Any tea that has Orange Pekoe is fine by me. I used to drink ALOT of coffee but after sometime it started making me feel slightly ill.

When I was drinking coffee it was instant, 1 teaspoon and mix with milk before adding hot water.....

Monkus
August 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM
lol@sumi !!

deeaa
August 26th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I've had dozens of coffee makers but the latest one is the best.

http://www.moccamaster.com/int/

It's insanely fast and makes superb tasting coffee. Seriously, I mean like 2 cups in just a minute. I just put it on and it's done before I have even produced the ham and eggs and a pan. (I drink a couple of big cups every morning before my bacon & eggs.)

At work I also drink some coffee almost every hour, either made with a big philips maker or a small 'duo' two-cup quick machine; neither are very good but provide the caffeine all the same. At lunch and sometime other I drink the stuff in the restaurant, or sometimes in the hotel reception in our school, if cafeteria is closed.

Can't survive without coffee. I don't need breakfast or anything necessarily, but unless I get at least a pint of strong coffee when I wake up...well I don't really wake up at all :-)

oldguy
August 26th, 2010, 03:08 AM
3:30 A.M. workdays= Bunn+Folgers+water.....plus my wife makes it and brings it to me while I look at this place on the 'puter.:french

poodlesrule
August 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I like Irish Breakfast . . . .TEA!!!! :D
I used to drink ALOT of coffee but after sometime it started making me feel slightly ill.

+1 on tea.

At home we start with not-too-strong tea first thing in the morning.

Coffee comes later, with breakfast.
I am proud to say I manged to get my wife to adopt it. Much gentler on the system.

deeaa
August 26th, 2010, 06:53 AM
+1 on tea.

At home we start with not-too-strong tea first thing in the morning.

Coffee comes later, with breakfast.
I am proud to say I manged to get my wife to adopt it. Much gentler on the system.

That's something interesting, IMO, how stomachs work in that respect.

My wife is a tea-drinker and sometimes gets troubles in her stomach for too much coffee. Me, I'm the opposite - one cup of tea can give me terrible pains, especially green tea. Regular cheap Lipton etc. bag teas I can manage when mild, with plenty sugar, but any english/stronger or green tea, man that carves up my stomach.

But I can drink even black strong coffee by the bucket, never sugar either.

Maybe there's a connection to that she can also drink white wines and champagnes no problem, I can't down even one glass without getting an ill feeling and a hangover....

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Just filled the french press with a half caf mix of Starbucks Sumatra (my all time favorite flavor) mixed with Tully's houseblend decaf. Yikes, I hope it doesn't explode due to that mix!!!

otaypanky
August 26th, 2010, 07:41 AM
For years when I was single I would hand grind whole beans in an antique coffee mill and brew it up in an old Mirro Matic percolator that was probably from the 1940's. It made great coffee.
Nowadays we use a Bunn Thermofresh. It's a drip machine with an insulated carafe. Makes very good coffee and stays hot. It's probably about 7 years old or more and going strong

otaypanky
August 26th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Just filled the french press with a half caf mix of Starbucks Sumatra (my all time favorite flavor) mixed with Tully's houseblend decaf. Yikes, I hope it doesn't explode due to that mix!!!

wear Depends today

SuperSwede
August 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
We have a Moccamaster at home, I must agree with Deaa that its superb. We have horrible horrible coffee at work, but I guess that true for most police stations around the world ;)

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Robert's got the good skinny on how to brew. I concur. I love coffee, even though it's one of the things I can't have too much of with the kidney stones. Tea is actually worse for me, though. No idea why.

French press is my favorite, but it's drip coffee most of the time, just for the convenience factor. I have one of those coffee makers you can program to brew at whatever time works for you. I prepare my coffee the night before, which isn't the best way to enjoy the freshest coffee, but at five in the morning I want as few things to tax my brain as possible. I had a burr grinder for a while, but it turned out to be an utter POS, so I'm back to the Mr. Coffee blade grinder.

I buy my coffee at Costco, where it's roasted on site. They have about six or seven different varieties of bean, so we switch it up pretty regularly.

I like my coffee fairly strong with white chocolate and half and half. I know, it's pretty bastardized, but it tastes so damn good that way.

deeaa
August 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
By the way, that's something we Finns hold the world record on...most coffee consumed per capita. I suppose it's partly because during the time Finland was a part of Sweden, coffee drinking was forbidden by law, and when it ended, it became the very thing to do at any social situation - have some coffee. You can't imagine going somewhere and not be offered coffee right away. It's just something you do every few hours, where ever you are, road trip, whatever, you have your coffee.

I don't, however, ever drink coffee after 6 or 7 in the evening. But some people have the last cup just before bedtime.

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I don't, however, ever drink coffee after 6 or 7 in the evening. But some people have the last cup just before bedtime.

My fiancee can drink a cup right before bed, and drop off right to sleep. I don't understand that. I also stop drinking coffee at least four hours before I want to go to sleep. I have enough trouble sleeping without the added factor of caffeine.

Rockermann
August 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM
...I suppose it's partly because during the time Finland was a part of Sweden, coffee drinking was forbidden by law...

What?? Why was that? Too many crimes because folks were all fired up on caffeine? :D

sumitomo
August 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My fiancee can drink a cup right before bed, and drop off right to sleep. I don't understand that. I also stop drinking coffee at least four hours before I want to go to sleep. I have enough trouble sleeping without the added factor of caffeine.

I'm telling ya FrankenFretter Ganga Tea and you'll sleep like a baby,probably help those kidney stones also!!!!:zzz :thumbsup Sumi:D

DeanEVO_Dude
August 26th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I do Foldgers Classic Roast only, in my second Black & Decker coffe maker. I use an old Coolaid scoop, 3 scoops, rounded with 12 cups of water, medium-strong, much better than Starbucks crap. Very pickey about my coffee, I also like Folgers Special... that all... none of that "flavored" crap or that burnt (French Roast) crap. Of course, I ruin it with cream and sugar, "coffee-regular" as the New Yorkers would say.

The first maker was bought around the time my last daughter was born (19 years ago), and for the last 10 years of its life, made at least 1 pot per day (sometimes 2 or 3!), 7 days per week... Saddly, it died 6 months ago... sniff! So, went out, priced coffee makers, then got another Black & Decker. If I get 10 years outta it, I will be very happy.

DeanEVO_Dude
August 26th, 2010, 10:44 PM
My fiancee can drink a cup right before bed, and drop off right to sleep...

I am the same way...

head + pillow +/- coffee = :zzz

deeaa
August 26th, 2010, 11:45 PM
What?? Why was that? Too many crimes because folks were all fired up on caffeine? :D

Well since you asked I looked it up...

It was seen as bad and unhealthy habit, and demanded a lot of foreign import, leeching currency overseas. Moreover, it was seen as so bitter and bad it also caused a rise in sugar consumption, also imported goods, and thus problems with importing and currency escaping.

They had it heavily taxed since 1747 but made it illegal in 1756, and the same concerned several other foreign luxury items. Gotta remember it was times of extreme protectionism and such, far cry from modern free markets.

However there was plenty of smuggling and drinking of coffee, and the ban was lifted a few times for a short period, and then forbidden again, until 1802 there was a final release of coffee drinking, as even house arrests and searches didn't stop people from using it.

Bloozcat
August 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Tully's....you're fortunate to be able to get that where you are. Great coffee. It's one of our first stops whenever we're in Seattle.

I make my Starbucks French Roast dark and rich, but it's never as good and rich as Tully's. My wife can't drink the coffee I make for myself and I drink it black. I had read that the darker roasts have less caffeine. Or, to put it differently, a dark roast measured by volume as with a coffee scoop, has less caffeine than a dark roast measured by weight. Since I use a scooper with my French Roast, the caffeine level is lower. If I have 2-cups of regular old Chock Full-O-Nuts coffee I get more of a caffeine buzz than from 4-cups of the Starbucks French Roast. Seems counter-intuitive, but true. I don't know how they make that Chock Full-O-Nuts, but it's like rocket fuel....

Rockermann
August 27th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Well since you asked I looked it up...

Wow... Based on those times, that all makes perfect sense now that you laid it out. I would have never thought that just. Thanks for looking it up... guess I could have done the same. I figured you knew already. :)

Thanks!

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Tully's....you're fortunate to be able to get that where you are. Great coffee. It's one of our first stops whenever we're in Seattle.

I make my Starbucks French Roast dark and rich, but it's never as good and rich as Tully's.

Interestingly, Tully's and Starbucks are really the only two chain type stores in Ketchum. And the coffee is available at the grocery stores around here too. I tend to be more a Starbucks guy, as I said, Sumatra is probably my favorite, though I also like french and Italian roasts. I also like mine dark and rich. For our regular coffee pot, we use the Costco/Kirkland beans that are roasted by Starbucks.