PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a child to play guitar: Where should I begin?

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 07:13 AM
My fiancee's daughter has expressed an interest in learning guitar, since she hears me play fairly often, and she wants us to be able to play together.

I did buy her an acoustic a couple years ago, but we've had so many issues with it, it's just sitting on my work table at the moment. She had a lot of trouble trying to fret a chord, so I changed the strings to nylon. While doing so, I lost one of the bridge pins. I had an extra one laying around, but it won't fit without some minor surgery, and I just don't know if it's worth it, since the guitar isn't much of a guitar in the first place.

My question is; should I just start her with an electric, or find her a better acoustic? I spend far more time on my electrics than on my acoustic, and it seems like the lighter gauge strings may be a help in teaching her how to play chords and such. I don't have a small guitar for her at the moment, but I could probably start her on a full-size (she's nine) for now. I have a couple of small amps that she could use, and I think I'd be a more patient teacher on an electric, although I'm not a great teacher even at my most patient times.

Feedback? Any tips on teaching a kid? I'm really happy that she wants to learn, but I have a feeling that her short attention span may be a big obstacle. Your input is most appreciated, Fretters!

Eric
August 26th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I've had many friends and/or teens who I've tried to get rolling on the guitar. I have yet to find much success in my many attempts, but I have noticed a few things:

Electric WILL be easier for her to learn on.
Most people who start would rather play acoustic. Rather than fight this, I think it's probably best to just go with it.
Have her learn G, C, D, and Em inside and out, forward and backward. This will open the door to about a billion songs.
I'm a firm firm believer that a taste of success is the most crucial thing in getting someone to continue. When I find that I can play something, that gets me more fired up about the guitar than anything else.
Don't use much theory or little tricks you've learned. I think it just muddies the water, and those are realizations she will need to come to on her own. For example, how a power chord is really just the bottom end of an E or A shape -- even simple stuff like that should be ignored until she has her feet under her.

That's all I can think of right now. I may sound authoritative, but I'm not; these are just the things I try to tell myself when interacting with a new guitarist. It can be a pretty long road with guitar (I know it has been for me), but knowing that you can do it is key. As I mentioned, my success with this has been limited, so maybe you won't want to listen to me, but I still think the above points are decent guidelines.

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2010, 07:42 AM
My daughter, now just seven, wants to learn, has a little pink acoustic, and struggles with the very issues you mention. Her hands really just do not want to make chords yet without a lot of practice, and she is not patient enough yet to do that. So when we play, for now, I am considering teaching her individual notes in open position, that match the chords we are using.

Also, she really likes to watch the free (I said FREE) instructional vids you can get at iTunes called Little Kids Rock. They are good little vids, the guy is entertaining to the kids, and my daughter enjoys getting a "lesson" even if she cannot actually do all that the guy is teaching.

Re: guitars, I like the idea of a small size acoustic, and had not thought of using nylon. That could be a good idea to make it easier for now.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/annekaGuitar.jpg

R_of_G
August 26th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Have her learn G, C, D, and Em inside and out, forward and backward. This will open the door to about a billion songs.

This is a strategy that should provide a kid (or any beginner really) with the gratification to keep playing.

The first time she can strum a couple of chords and hear that it's a song she recognizes she will have a sense of accomplishment that should propel her to play more.

piebaldpython
August 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Her hands really just do not want to make chords yet without a lot of practice, and she is not patient enough yet to do that. So when we play, for now, I am considering teaching her individual notes in open position, that match the chords we are using.

Hmmmm.......her fingers can't do the chords, not patient, real young..what to do??

Just a thought, but why not start her in an Open Tuning (E or G)?.....or maybe get her to slide (kids LOVE to slide) or play lap style? Lots of vids out there about playing in Open D/E or Open G, both slide and lap style.

Derek Trucks plays exclusively in Open E......everything.....both fretted and slide.

My dopey $.02. :digit

Tig
August 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/annekaGuitar.jpg

Cuteness overload!
You have every right to be a proud Dad, Steve.
:thumbsup

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks a lot, folks. All of this is good info, and helpful. Matilda was seven when I first tried to show her some things, and she got very frustrated. I got her a small acoustic, like Steve's daugher has, and an easy kid's guitar book and CD. I think I may go with electric, since it's going to be easier on her fingers. Now I just have to find a decent small electric for a reasonable price, or a trade.

I have thought about open tunings. She could at least learn some Stones...

The free kid's video lessons also sounds great. I'll have to try that.

Does anyone have suggestions on which electrics are good kid's guitars? I know First Act makes some, but I think I'll skip them. I want something of decent quality, at least as good as an SX. Speaking of SXs, Rondo has some 3/4 size strat-types; would one of those be ok, as far as size goes? I've seen the Squier Mini-Strat, and it seems like the SXs are of at least that quality, maybe even a little better. Thoughts?

Heywood Jablomie
August 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
It's up to the student. No teacher can instill motivation that's just not there. I started teaching guitar to my son when he was in grade school. Although he progressed very well, he lost interest after about a year, but did move on to other musical things, playing trombone in the school bands. But a couple of years later he asked me if it was OK for him to play my guitar. Of course it was, and he just took off from there, sometimes playing hours a day. He still plays to this day, at the age of 29. Bottom line: it was up to him.

Eric
August 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on which electrics are good kid's guitars? I know First Act makes some, but I think I'll skip them. I want something of decent quality, at least as good as an SX. Speaking of SXs, Rondo has some 3/4 size strat-types; would one of those be ok, as far as size goes? I've seen the Squier Mini-Strat, and it seems like the SXs are of at least that quality, maybe even a little better. Thoughts?
Yeah, I was thinking of a 3/4 size Rondo axe when you started talking about smaller guitars. I think one of those would do the trick. The SX tele I had was pretty good, at least good enough for learning.

Two things that come to mind:

Electrics can be less than gratifying on occasion for the student, because it doesn't sound like a guitar right off the bat, and even a clean amped electric sometimes sounds like crap.
Cheaper guitars, I've found, tend to be heavier than they need to be. I don't know if this is wood quality or what, but if you need it to be light, you might want to shop around a bit.

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks Tig! She really does want to sing and play. She'll get there, because she wants to. She was also really inspired when my second cousin Marian performed her house concert. :thumbsup

bcdon
August 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Speaking of SXs, Rondo has some 3/4 size strat-types; would one of those be ok, as far as size goes? I've seen the Squier Mini-Strat, and it seems like the SXs are of at least that quality, maybe even a little better. Thoughts?
Sure, as long as you upgrade the pups to Seymour Duncan' Blackouts. :dude

omegadot
August 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Honestly, I had great fun once I found that you could play various open chords with your 3rd and 4th fingers rooted on the 3rd fret. Or the easy A sus chords/D sus and minor chords. Those require almost no movement but can be very pleasant.

hubberjub
August 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Baritone ukulele. You can get a decent one for pretty cheap and they are a very guitar friendly tuning. Nylon strings tuned D-G-B-E. You can show her guitar chords and just leave off the two lowest notes. When she's ready (and when her hands are big enough), it will be an easy transition to the six string guitar. When I was a music major in college, that's what a very knowledgeable early childhood teacher recommended. It's a lot of fun to play and, unlike a 3/4 size guitar, she'll never outgrow it. It will just be another instrument in the house.

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Baritone ukulele. You can get a decent one for pretty cheap and they are a very guitar friendly tuning. Nylon strings tuned D-G-B-E. You can show her guitar chords and just leave off the two lowest notes. When she's ready (and when her hands are big enough), it will be an easy transition to the six string guitar. When I was a music major in college, that's what a very knowledgeable early childhood teacher recommended. It's a lot of fun to play and, unlike a 3/4 size guitar, she'll never outgrow it. It will just be another instrument in the house.

That is something I never would've thought of. Now I am thinking about that...

I have a hard time thinking about ukuleles without thinking of Tiny Tim. Argh!

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Sure, as long as you upgrade the pups to Seymour Duncan' Blackouts. :dude

Well, of course! Stock pickups are so not METAL!

hubberjub
August 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
That is something I never would've thought of. Now I am thinking about that...

I have a hard time thinking about ukuleles without thinking of Tiny Tim. Argh!

I posted this in another thread but I'll copy and paste it here because of it's relevance.

This will make you think twice about making any Tiny Tim jokes.

lUamjTt5zyI

And this is what won him some notariety.

3mEqEe-PIC8

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I posted this in another thread but I'll copy and paste it here because of it's relevance.

This will make you think twice about making any Tiny Tim jokes.

That guy is amazing! Wow! Way better than the Kazookulele guy, although he's not shabby either. By the way, that was me in the audience requesting Freebird. :rockya

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2010, 10:22 PM

Cool idea!! Also, then I could borrow it!!

GuitarAcademy
September 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
When I teach I teach the first chords as 2 finger chords and 2 finger songs. The first chord they learn is Dsus2 Two fingers, then they learn about pressing on the strings, how to let open strings ring freely, how not to block notes, gaining stabilization with 2 fingers. Its a lot easier to learn how to sound 2 note chords clearly than 3 note chords, other chords I teach are Em, Asus2, G6 and C add 9. There are a lot of songs accessible through those 2 finger chords.

Before I teach a C chord I'll expose them to an Am7 2 finger chord. Let them build stability, and confidence.

GA

FrankenFretter
September 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
When I teach I teach the first chords as 2 finger chords and 2 finger songs. The first chord they learn is Dsus2 Two fingers, then they learn about pressing on the strings, how to let open strings ring freely, how not to block notes, gaining stabilization with 2 fingers. Its a lot easier to learn how to sound 2 note chords clearly than 3 note chords, other chords I teach are Em, Asus2, G6 and C add 9. There are a lot of songs accessible through those 2 finger chords.

Before I teach a C chord I'll expose them to an Am7 2 finger chord. Let them build stability, and confidence.

GA

Thank you! I happen to have a brand new chord book that I got on sale at Borders, so I'll be able to look those up (the ones I don't know). We're already looking at electrics online, but I'm not sure which direction we'll go on that matter.