PDA

View Full Version : Noob

Mr Pants
August 27th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hi everyone, I'm from south east London and I've just joined. I've been playing since I was 18, and I'm 55 now. You'd think that was long enough to play better, wouldn't you? Used to play in a 70/80's covers band called Ugley, I'm not sure whether that applied to us or the music.

Gear includes modded Epihone Valve Junior, Peavey Classic 30, Strat Plus, old Epiphone Riviera and a Tele. Changed to Bare Knuckles pickups on all of 'em cos I can't resist tinkering.

Favourite guitarists include Billy Gibbons, Bill Frisell, Frank Zappa, and the guy in the Canadian band Grady. Currently got GAS for a Squier Tele Custom II, and I'd really welcome any views.

Best wishes to all, Martin

Robert
August 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Welcome Martin! Interesting to hear you mention Grady... never listened to them myself (yet).

Tig
August 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Martin!
Nice collection and music taste. You'll fit right in around here.

The Squier Tele Custom II you mentioned... as in the double humbucker type or the double P90?

Mr Pants
August 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Martin!
Nice collection and music taste. You'll fit right in around here.

The Squier Tele Custom II you mentioned... as in the double humbucker type or the double P90? Double P90 I think Tig, thanks for the reply.

Robert, I can recommend Grady, they used to be a band called Big Sugar, who are also worth checking out. Grady rework some of the Big Sugar tracks, but with a massive fuzz box infection.:thumbsup

Tig
August 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Double P90 I think Tig, thanks for the reply.

Those look like really cool guitars. I love P90's.
If you get a chance, try playing the Fender big brother of the Squier Tele Custom II, the Jim Adkins JA-90 Thinline (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0262350538). It is priced well ($750 US, but I've seen them cheaper) and plays like a dream. I'd trade my Reverend with duo P90's for one in a flash!

http://www.fender.com/themes/products/images/prod_images/guitars/0262350538_md.jpg

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Nice looking guitar! Welcome!

Mr Pants
August 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
That's really not helping my GAS Tig. :thwap

bigG
August 28th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Welcome aboard, mate!

Presto
August 29th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hi. I've never heard of Grady. I will have to look them up.

Mr Pants
August 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I think the first album - Why U So Shady - is the best. They started off years ago as Big Sugar, a blues type band with a real gnarly slide sound - there is an excellent track called Groundhog Day on the album "Big Sugar". (Good choice on the Baja Tele - my favourite guitar!)

Brian Krashpad
August 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Welcome Martin!

I haven't played that Squier, but a bandmate of mine liked them so much he had two, one black and one butterscotch. He's owned some very nice guitars over the years, so I doubt he'd buy two if they were crap. They seem to have a fairly consistently good rep. Also, I do have a Schecter Tempest Special that has (what I believe to be) the same Duncan Designed P-90's in it, as are in the Squier, and they're fine.